The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Heh mainly what i'm curious about.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on June 12, 2012, 04:08:46 AM
It looks great, excellent production value. I'm a tad afraid I've bought a second copy of Twilight Struggle, though.

What else did you expect?  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on June 12, 2012, 04:08:46 AMI'm a tad afraid I've bought a second copy of Twilight Struggle, though.

It's not like GMT was hiding that concept as a state secret or anything.   :P

It does look interesting, though.  But the topic may not be for everyone.  Not enough blood.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2012, 08:36:22 AM
It looks great, excellent production value. I'm a tad afraid I've bought a second copy of Twilight Struggle, though.

That it would not be the exact same game?  :huh:

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2012, 08:58:34 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 12, 2012, 04:08:46 AMI'm a tad afraid I've bought a second copy of Twilight Struggle, though.

It's not like GMT was hiding that concept as a state secret or anything.   :P

It does look interesting, though.  But the topic may not be for everyone.  Not enough blood.

I know the concept is the same, just like HIS and VQ.
But I fear 1989 and TS will be much more alike.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on June 12, 2012, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2012, 08:36:22 AM

That it would not be the exact same game?  :huh:

It's not the same game;  it's the same mechanics, maybe, but that doesn't mean its the same game.   And at least they're successful mechanics at that, something that's not always seen in new games (see earlier posts onA Few Broken Acres of Snow)

Maladict

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2012, 09:48:16 AM
It's not the same game;  it's the same mechanics, maybe, but that doesn't mean its the same game.   And at least they're successful mechanics at that, something that's not always seen in new games (see earlier posts onA Few Broken Acres of Snow)

It also looks much more asymmetrical, which is a plus if it's done well.

Warspite

I would like to buy a friend a copy of Axis and Allies for their birthday - which is the best edition to get?

Should I just go for the most recent one I can find (eg, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avalon-Hill-HAS25066-Axis-Allies/dp/B0026J3PO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339538776&sr=8-1)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Habbaku

Some gamers get the best wives :

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on June 12, 2012, 05:21:47 PM
I would like to buy a friend a copy of Axis and Allies for their birthday - which is the best edition to get?

Should I just go for the most recent one I can find (eg, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avalon-Hill-HAS25066-Axis-Allies/dp/B0026J3PO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339538776&sr=8-1)

From what I know, the A&A Anniversary Edition is the stepping off point for all those battle-specific and year-specific A&A titles, but I could be talking out of my ass, as I'm not 100% familiar with the entire family of games.

11B4V

Made a drop for

Lock n load:
Band of Heroes
Not One Step Back
Dark July

Was wanting Ring of Hills, but Coolsuff was out on that one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

I shall  :bash: Mr. Walker if he is trying to say the below units were anywhere in Fourth Panzer Army's AO.  :grr:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

What's the difference between Cyberboard and Vassal? I've looked at them both and they seem pretty similar.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Solmyr on June 13, 2012, 04:59:06 AM
What's the difference between Cyberboard and Vassal? I've looked at them both and they seem pretty similar.

IIRC, about 10+ years ago, they debuted roughly the same time; while Cyberboard came out with a few more game modules when Vassal was principally dedicated to ASL, but the community really jumped forward on Vassal with programming and producing modules over the years, and ADC withered and died.  :(

I'd say that Cyberboard is a bit more labor intensive, too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 13, 2012, 04:39:43 AM
I shall  :bash: Mr. Walker if he is trying to say the below units were anywhere in Fourth Panzer Army's AO.  :grr:

He's a lot of hit and miss.  A lot.