News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

No shit.  Reminds me of Starship Troopers.  The good, old one.

Kleves

So, are A Few Acres of Snow and Strike of the Eagle worth getting?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

katmai

Quote from: Kleves on May 04, 2012, 12:29:53 AM

Read the fucking thread Kleves.  :rolleyes:  :P

Quote from: Habbaku on April 19, 2012, 04:40:41 pm

Do you mean Strike of the Eagle, the Polish-Soviet War block game?  If so, that's a good pick, at least from my limited playings (a few scenarios, one of which Berkut was in).
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on May 04, 2012, 12:29:53 AM

From what I've read and seen, Strike of the Eagle doesn't have issues with replayability that AFAS has.  Both are superior products, well made with quality production value, but I would definitely err towards SotE between the two, especially now that AFAS has been blown wide open as totally broken for an instant British victory.

Ed Anger

The ogre kickstarter is nearing a nerd Apoclypse with Car Wars now within reach.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The Ogre Kickstarter is approaching a farcical level.  I can't believe there is that much pent-up demand for that game.  Nor can I believe that there are so many people likely speculating on resale of it.  Yet so it goes...

On an unrelated note, Virgin Queen was, despite all my reticence and distrust...fun.  A lot of fun, actually.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 07:20:55 PM
On an unrelated note, Virgin Queen was, despite all my reticence and distrust...fun.  A lot of fun, actually.

Sold.

Habbaku

I am still skeptical that the Espionage system works as intended, but could see it having some effect if the game goes late.  The best thing is the fact that it doesn't seem to have Here I Stand's problem of having some of the players not really interact with one-another until late in the game. 

The diplomatic marriages, the HRE's accumulation of for-hire mercenaries instead of winter regular and the overall level of "Fuck You" events that players have a strong incentive to play (Spanish Pay Ships Seized, for instance, nukes some Spanish soldiers and then gives the player of the event a card draw) suffice to fix some of the nagging issues I have always had with HIS while keeping things pretty focused.  Probably the only thing I didn't necessarily enjoy is the patronizing mechanic of sponsoring artists and scientists because it seems relatively boring and, effectively, is a dice-off similar to the New World stuff in HIS.  Unlike HIS, though, it's a slow-burn style of VP-gain rather than a quick rush, giving you plenty of reason to start paying attention to someone's VPs level when they gather up their 3rd-VP-in-a-row from sponsoring art.

As a final note, I can't wait to play the Spanish in the game.  Whereas the Habsburgs in HIS usually had the resources to fight two people at once, the Spanish have the resources to fight 3-4 at once...and potentially win that battle if their opponents aren't coordinating.  The other players at the board allow Spain to keep its New World treasures at their peril.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 09:59:34 PM
Probably the only thing I didn't necessarily enjoy is the patronizing mechanic of sponsoring artists and scientists because it seems relatively boring and, effectively, is a dice-off similar to the New World stuff in HIS.

Perhaps, but it fits the context;  and like you said, it's a reliable VP gain with low risk.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 07:20:55 PM

Cool. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on May 08, 2012, 10:07:40 PM
Cool. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Me too. I can't quite remember, but I think I chose the slow shipping option  :(

garbon

Mine just came. Box is so heavy!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on May 09, 2012, 11:38:01 AM
Mine just came. Box is so heavy!

The ACTS module is due to be finished/released rather soon.  I fully support PBEM ASAP.

-J. R. R. Tolkien