News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2012, 07:55:50 AM
Hhhmmmm...turns represent 1 to 2 months?  I dunno...

Well, it does cover the entire war. And I have a severe WW1 fetish, yet I was too scared to order that monster game about 1914 in the Eastern Front. Looked unplayably huge.

This one, appears more accessible. It doesn't include bitchslapping ROMAnians around, but so be it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2012, 08:04:13 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2012, 07:55:50 AM
Hhhmmmm...turns represent 1 to 2 months?  I dunno...

Well, it does cover the entire war. And I have a severe WW1 fetish, yet I was too scared to order that monster game about 1914 in the Eastern Front. Looked unplayably huge.

This one, appears more accessible. It doesn't include bitchslapping ROMAnians around, but so be it.

True, it does have that as an attraction: the entire length of the war.  And yeah, 1914 is a filthy fucking beast.

Ed Anger

I had the old Command WWI games. Loved the 1918 stormtroopers western front one.

Don't even remember playing the east front ones.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Also, while I am fairly certain it will not deal with politics and diplomacy and shit (La Grande Guerre still reigns supreme on a full-scale simulation of the conflict), the East Front is cool because the whole dying old world empires duking it out is so much more apparent there, especially with hindsight.

Those 3 huge machines of war, putting like 7-9 nationalities against each other in varying setups, all 3 to be gone by the time the smoke clears. Fascinating.

Ed Anger

Tamas

Massacring Indians sounds fun, but the game must be a bore.

Tactical battles are for the PC in this day and age.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2012, 08:28:59 AM
Tactical battles are for the PC in this day and age.

Nonsense.  Victoria Cross II rocks, Boots On The Ground is beer and popcorn fun, and classics like Little Big Horn and Remember Gordon! still work.

And the new tactical series on the ACW from Victory Point definitely seems promising.

AND LETS NOT FORGET ASL

CountDeMoney

Speaking of Tactical and GMT, they need to start getting their asses in gear with Panzer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 18, 2012, 08:49:10 AM
Speaking of Tactical and GMT, they need to start getting their asses in gear with Panzer.

You can always get the Excalibre version. Enjoy the 1980 graphics.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2012, 07:48:17 PM
Every day that I don't have War of the Suns

Wasn't that put off indefinitely because of the the great counter design controversy?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 18, 2012, 10:11:55 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 17, 2012, 07:48:17 PM
Every day that I don't have War of the Suns

Wasn't that put off indefinitely because of the the great counter design controversy?

Nah, it was put off definitely so they could rejigger the counters.  It's back in the production queue, though it will be a few more months until release.  The current schedule for MMP looks like this :

QuoteNo Question of Surrender - parts are in house and waiting for collation
Angola - slightly ahead of KoH, card decks due in next week, all other bits at various printers
Kingdom of Heaven - this and Angola could flip flop
The Blitzkrieg Legend
Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edson's Ridge
France '40 (somewhere mixed in above depending on how counters fit)
It Never Snows...
War of the Suns
Special Ops #3 (in time for WBC first week in August)
Stonewall Jackson's Way II
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu
Storm Over Normandy

So, hypothetically it will be out in time for WBC (late July/early August).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on April 18, 2012, 10:36:49 AM
So, hypothetically it will be out in time for WBC (late July/early August).

Too late for Origins, but yeah, I don't think they'd want to miss out on the sales for WBC.

Habbaku

One can hope.  If it's out in time, I might just spend the majority of WBC playing it and KoH.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Amateurs To Arms showed up.  Fantastic production value, as usual from COA.  And any chance to kill Brits is worth it.  FORT MCHENRY REPRASENT