News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

:lol:

Sorta like re-reading Elric when I was 35. I LIKED THIS SHIT?!?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

sbr

CountDeMoney

Tamas

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2012, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2012, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: sbr on April 12, 2012, 10:32:17 AM
Map sucks.

At least it actually fits on a table.

like you need to worry about that

Fuck you, you filthy fucking gypsy.  At least I have a table.

Tamas

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2012, 12:11:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2012, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2012, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2012, 10:35:20 AM
Quote from: sbr on April 12, 2012, 10:32:17 AM
Map sucks.

At least it actually fits on a table.

like you need to worry about that

Fuck you, you filthy fucking gypsy.  At least I have a table.

I have a huge table.

Who'd ya steal it from LOLOLOLOL HOHOHOHOHOHO PW3ND

The Brain

The Balkan countries are not represented with enough detail and not enough mention of their glorious history. PYRAMIDS IN BOSNIA
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Big Brown Truck should be bringing Daddy some more stuff from Grognards.  Yay.

CountDeMoney

Kleves

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2012, 04:25:12 PM
Next on Sand in the Vagina at BGG....

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/789374/this-is-how-complaints-against-sexism-are-treated/page/1
QuoteOne of the reasons the wargame hobby is so dominated by men is that many of them use misogynistic language and interact with women in such a way that the women feel (to put it mildly) uncomfortable and unwelcome. Believe me, as a wargamer of several decades, I have seen much of this.

I am not saying that it doesn't happen in other boardgame genres (even in the international chess tournament, for example), or other hobbies, because, unfortunately, it does, and sometimes with extreme viciousness (like in the video game communities). But it definitely does happen here, and perhaps the reason some men do not particularly notice is because it does not affect them personally so it is not important to them. They only notice what they consider unreasonable responses from women because the women's comments, because they target men, do seem personal enough to notice (if not to believe).

One of the personal attacks I had was from someone saying that I should quit being such a crybaby (I was not crying, BTW, I was reacting with rage) over the sexist comments here because it is everywhere so I should get used it and quit being so sensitive. NO, I won't. I will not excuse and overlook such disgusting behavior from men who will not act with courtesy and respect towards others. Most men have no idea what it is like to have have to put up with insulting remarks no matter where you go. For example, to be reading a thread about some aspect of a favorite hobby, and have it turn into a sexist joke, or to have recurring posts about how they don't belong there or can't possibly be a part of it (or that they are too stupid to understand it) because of their sexual gender.

The pervasiveness occurs when one person posts something sexist and then other men join in with "jokes" or even worse posts agreeing with it or expanding on it. If a woman dares to comment in protest, then she is attacked and bullied and told that she is over-reacting, over-sensitive, and a cry-baby (which are personal attacks, BTW). If she actually gets angry, she is told that she is being unfair and ruining the thread (which is already off-topic because of the sexist posts, but none of the male posters or admins seemed to think that was a problem), and perhaps even gets punished for "personal attacks" (but the personal attacks against her were not acknowledged). Also, vulgar language or derisive comments about men are met with horror and outrage, but almost no one (except the few women who can stand to still stay in this disgusting atmosphere) is outraged and horrified by the common usage here of vulgarities referring to women or the sexist comments and "humor".

So, it's very funny that you haven't noticed the pervasive misogyny, Roger, since you are the Wargames Forum Admin, and it is part of your responsibilities to uphold the BGG Forum Rules, one of which forbids posting of bigotry of any sort.
It's even more funny, since you have had geekmails from women concerning this very problem. (EDIT: See Roger's post below for a correction of this statement)

In any case, the sexism here has already driven off several women that I know of, and caused a couple more to reconsider posting here. So, why don't women play wargames? They do, they just don't like hanging out in a place where sexism is not only tolerated but enjoyed. They don't like being belittled, made fun of, and propositioned, (and attacked if they protest) just because they are female gamers.
:lol:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney