News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

QuoteI want my fucking Jonas Savimbi counter.
:thumbsup:

I wonder if a counter for Costas Georgiou will be in the mix.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 10:27:09 PM
Oh I got the notice that they are going to be charging for Virgin Queen orders.

That's the damned thing about the board game industry in the day and age;  because of such limited print runs, you need to snatch up titles that you could conceivably want, even if you don't want it know--because you can't wait two years for it to finally intrigue you, as it'll be gone or tough to find.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 05, 2012, 10:24:44 PM
Yeah, and comparatively actually playable in a sitting or two.  Surprisingly for all you smart asses, we've managed to knock out a few drops of Tide at Sunrise and King Philip's War;  Angola is another that can conceivably get knocked out in a night, and it looks like a lot more titles are going that way with them:  digestible and playable in short time frames.

I don't know what the hold-up is on that, other than the big dust-up over the cover art last year;  but I know it was of paramount economic importance for Charlie to push Moscowa out the door.

Flat Top is definitely one of the all time greatest carrier games, ever.  Best played with an umpire for orders and combat results, though.  Ratchets up the tension something fucking fierce.

Angola is definitely playable in a night.  Call it 5-6 hours, longer if no one's read the rules aforehand.  Once you get the sequence down, it flows very quickly and is a lot of fun.

As for LoH, the hold-up for a long time was apparently personal stuff with the designer, but that seems to be cleared up now.  I remember seeing card proofs and such at WBC last year, so I was surprised it didn't come out very swiftly afterwards.

Flat Top is going to be a game I try to get in at a convention, hopefully with 3 people--1 umpire.  Seeing someone 'guess' wrong on where to commit would be too fun to miss.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2012, 10:27:09 PM
Oh I got the notice that they are going to be charging for Virgin Queen orders.

If you hurry, you might still be able to get your very own t-shirt!  I mean, who wouldn't want a purple "Virgin Queen" shirt?

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Maybe if Virgin Queen was on the front. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

A few questions regarding the Virgin Queen:

-when is it shipping
-will we be able to PBEM it without everyone having a copy
-when are we doing the first PBEM?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2012, 04:02:19 AM
A few questions regarding the Virgin Queen:

-when is it shipping

If they're already charging for it, it's because they've got the product in the production cycle, so I'd expect definitely within the next two (?) months.

Quote-will we be able to PBEM it without everyone having a copy
-when are we doing the first PBEM?

Lolz.

garbon

Tamas got us to play that Battlestar Galactica game and no one but him had a copy (i believe).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2012, 07:48:45 AM
Tamas got us to play that Battlestar Galactica game and no one but him had a copy (i believe).

Yes, so CdM, STFU :P

Also we had a bunch of people here playing HiS, either too poor to afford the game (Jaron, FB), living in a backward hellhole (Martinus), or because the box wasn't pink enough (Martinus).

ulmont

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2012, 07:53:22 AM
Also we had a bunch of people here playing HiS, either too poor to afford the game (Jaron, FB), living in a backward hellhole (Martinus), or because the box wasn't pink enough (Martinus).

After reading the rules for Virgin Queen, I think it's too chromed out and with too many responses to be a whole lot of PBEM fun.

Tamas

Quote from: ulmont on April 11, 2012, 08:18:55 AM

After reading the rules for Virgin Queen, I think it's too chromed out and with too many responses to be a whole lot of PBEM fun.

:(

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on April 11, 2012, 08:18:55 AM

Any new mechanism in particular?

I definitely would agree the patronage thing seems completely unnecessary.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2012, 08:45:43 AM
Any new mechanism in particular?

I definitely would agree the patronage thing seems completely unnecessary.

IIRC the treasure resolution was what really bugged me, but it's been a little while since I looked at it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2012, 07:59:00 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition

I just got a boner.

Steve Jackson Games is a lot like Friedrich Nietzche:  fun in high school and college, but you grow out of it.