News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Friggin' Grognard Sims is pushing out more product than I can keep up with.  DEATH RIDE: PAYPAL

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 10, 2012, 12:38:21 PM
Friggin' Grognard Sims is pushing out more product than I can keep up with.  DEATH RIDE: PAYPAL

Yea, I'm starting to get a Arab-Israeli itch. Looking at their Armored Knights series for that.

I told Chris on CSW that whaen the II SS Panzer sector is out it's as good as bought.

Anyway just got back from the print shop. Printed the custom Arnhem map on heavy stock paper. Looks fantastic.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Hansmeister

Hey, does anyone still play ASL?  Is it still good, or are there better systems out there for that type of small-scale scenarios?  Just before I deployed I discovered a new gaming store which was big on ASL and wondered if it is still a very good system to get into.

On a related note, I brought a bunch of boardgames, of a lighter note, with me in hopes of playing it here but no luck so far.  My FOB is very small.   I brought Mansion of Madness, Blood Bowl Team Manager Card Game, Lord of the Rings Card Game, Arkham Horror, City of Thieves, Zombies!!!, and the Gears of War Board Game.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 11, 2012, 09:43:32 AM
Hey, does anyone still play ASL?  Is it still good, or are there better systems out there for that type of small-scale scenarios?  Just before I deployed I discovered a new gaming store which was big on ASL and wondered if it is still a very good system to get into.

It's beginning to see a bit of a renaissance the last couple years;  MMP has begun republishing the "core" modules, as so much stuff has been out of print for so long. 
I was at Winter Offensive a few weeks ago, and the "all we play is ASL" crowd is still going strong.

And, they're working on a Historical ASL module to bring it into the Korean War.

As far as squad-level tactical goes, I don't think anything else really touches it for level of depth.  GMT's system Combat Commander seems pretty popular, but I haven't picked up any of those titles yet.

QuoteOn a related note, I brought a bunch of boardgames, of a lighter note, with me in hopes of playing it here but no luck so far.  My FOB is very small.   I brought Mansion of Madness, Blood Bowl Team Manager Card Game, Lord of the Rings Card Game, Arkham Horror, City of Thieves, Zombies!!!, and the Gears of War Board Game.

Give it a few more weeks, and I'm sure the guys will be screaming for things to do out of boredom.  You just got there yourself not too long ago, right?

Hansmeister

I got here a little over a month ago.  I found one person who would play, but he is on R&R now.  Yesterday I ran into an old friend from my days in Somalia who just got back in the Army after an 16-year break who would be willing to play.  Most of the people here are currently rotating out of country so I have to have a look at the new guys coming in, or are a bunch of LTC and COL that wouldn't want to be seen playing a game even if they liked it due to peer pressure.

But our post is currently shrinking down to about 100 Soldiers so it'll be slim pickings.

11B4V

I actually hate this more than counter clipping.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2012, 10:20:50 AM

As far as squad-level tactical goes, I don't think anything else really touches it for level of depth.  GMT's system Combat Commander seems pretty popular, but I haven't picked up any of those titles yet.

Combat Commander is pretty good, but isn't designed to have the same detail or scope (strictly small infantry units, no AFVs, other vehicles or medium/large on map field pieces).  It captures the chaos of such situations very well, but is abstracted at several points where ASL would drive into maddening detail.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

11B4V

More counter cutting fun. Actually I like making the counter sheets. Just not cutting them.

Look Ed, PC friendly (SS). :D

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

My constructed counters can be used as weapons in case your opponent pisses you off.

11B4V

I think I have reached my max level of practical thickness for counters. What ya think? 

L to R
1st & 2nd column(from the Debrecen game): Lastest game batch. Kind of thick, but easy to pick up.

3rd column(from Operation Sonnenwende game): More standard thickness.

4th column(from EndKampf: Ostpreussen game): Industry standard.