And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I sent you a file after that. Anyway, resent

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Few Acres of Snow does appear to be interesting, altough I only have the vaguest of ideas of how it will progress and what I am supposed to do. No doubt newcomers can be easily schooled in it.

But still, I quite like it already and considering that Berk and Habs will go on a romantic holiday together, anyone feeling like playing a game on yucata just let me know. Very originally, I am known as 'Tamas' there.

Habbaku

Unlike a lot of other games, figuring out what to do in AFA is pretty organic.  There are only a few victory conditions and only so many things that will garner VPs and, on top of that, you always have some idea of what your opponent is up to and may take steps to counter such.

A big part of the game is expansion vs. efficiency.  The more territory you get, generally the more VPs you'll gain, but expansion exposes you to raids (a big up/down shift in VPs) and fills out your deck with potentially useless cards.  Do not underestimate the power of things like Hme Support, Governor and Intendant (a French-only card).  Of course, to utilize the first and third requires money, and that's always in short supply...

I'll try to think of more tips to give, but typing on a cell phone is becoming onerous.  Feel free to ask for strategt or an explanation of why I'm doing certain actions.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Just purchased Assault and Boots & Saddles on BGG. Played the shit outta this system in the day. I bought these in '85 and when a new expansion came out. I have all the maps in my PB/PL game boxes, just not the rest of the games...strange.

Bundeswehr, Chieftain, and Reinforcement are going to be harder to find. :(

:menace: Ah, very familar. From BGG
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Thanks for the tips Habs.

Is there any reason why the game resets after I make a move including the improvement of Montreal? It does it, I do my second action (choosing an empire card), then either it shows me your move again like nothing happened, or gives me an error message.

Tamas

Okay so they are in the middle of a DNS move, hence the bug :P Someone posted the IP for the site in the chat so I managed to make my move.

11B4V

Alright wargamers. What's the deal with Perry Moore? I see some folks, usually the same ones bagging on this guy. Did a look at his games and the ratings overall arent that bad. Whats up?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Your average DTP guy made good. I suppose.  No opinion either way on him, don't have any of his work.

Ed Anger

His Last Panzer Victory from way back in the past was alright.

That submarine game in ATO might have been interesting, except the graphics on it was like tim puking pastels on the map.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Last Panzer Vic is on the to-order list. He seems to do some obsurce EF battles. Which is good, for me anyway.

CdM, Ed..This guy just gets no slack from what seems to be the same folks on BGG and consim. I'm going to order a couple of his DTP games. I have his "Kesselschlacht",
game on the shelf. That game gets bagged on BGG, but on consim it's almost the opposite. *Shrugs Shoulders* I'll crack it after I get done with BfK and SPI's old Korsun game.

Consims a weird animal. How would we have ever played some of these games back in the day before the internet. Oh, I know, come to a mutual consesus on a conflicting rule and
continue playing. Funny how the panzers kept rolling in those days. :lol:

frunk

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2012, 10:20:45 AM

Consims a weird animal. How would we have ever played some of these games back in the day before the internet. Oh, I know, come to a mutual consesus on a conflicting rule and

There was a discussion about that in relation to A Few Acres of Snow on BGG.  That works well for face to face opponents, but it gets difficult if you play a lot of games online through Vassal, Cyberboard or other non-direct mediums.  Many of your opponents may be one off type of things, and negotiating errata midgame or with each opponent each time you start up a game is tricky.  It also raises headaches for any competitive formats like tournaments.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 31, 2012, 10:20:45 AM
CdM, Ed..This guy just gets no slack from what seems to be the same folks on BGG and consim. I'm going to order a couple of his DTP games. I have his "Kesselschlacht",
game on the shelf. That game gets bagged on BGG, but on consim it's almost the opposite. *Shrugs Shoulders* I'll crack it after I get done with BfK and SPI's old Korsun game.

While there's a lot of overlap, there's still two totally distinct crowds between BGG and CSW, and the twain shall never meet.

Ed Anger

I seem to remember some sort of stink at CSW about Perry and a Warsaw uprising game. But then again, those fairies at CSW get their panties in a bunch about everything.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 31, 2012, 01:21:56 PM
I seem to remember some sort of stink at CSW about Perry and a Warsaw uprising game. But then again, those fairies at CSW get their panties in a bunch about everything.

ZOMG SS IS OVERPOWERD