News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Woot, the Big Brown Truck showed up today.

It's even better getting it to show up at work instead of home.  You get your toys faster.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2012, 07:11:40 PM
Woot, the Big Brown Truck showed up today.

It's even better getting it to show up at work instead of home.  You get your toys faster.

I need to try that, but I fear the shift LT will have a cow ;). What you get?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Few Acres of Snow, the Axis Empires duo, and a few WH40K RPG books I needed

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Yeah, that's why I got it.  I trust his judgement.

Habbaku

If you do play it, make sure you use the "errata" posted on BGG (can provide link if you want).  It fixes the small amount of the more egregious stuff that players have discovered after a hojillion plays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on January 04, 2012, 08:42:34 PM
If you do play it, make sure you use the "errata" posted on BGG (can provide link if you want).  It fixes the small amount of the more egregious stuff that players have discovered after a hojillion plays.

Thanks.  And yeah, we'll play it.  If we can knock out a decent 5 or 6 rounds of Hell of Stalingrad on a good weekend evening, looks like we can do some damage with this one.

It's the big 'uns we never seem to have the time or strength for anymore.

Berkut

Axis Empires, sweet! Lets get a PBEM game going!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2012, 09:21:58 PM
Axis Empires, sweet! Lets get a PBEM game going!

I see what you're doing there.  But my speed chess clock is broken anyway.

11B4V

Fedex drop off the order today.

Wintergewitter is a quality production. Hope it plays as well as it looks.

Ed Anger

Just got World at War Blood and Bridges. Dead Brits ahoy!

I hope I don't already have it.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Looks good. I'm still mulling over the Nato/WP.

Looking at Across Five Aprils or Hell's Highway as next purchase. T&T and Noble Knight both out of stock though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 07, 2012, 03:54:28 PM
Looks good. I'm still mulling over the Nato/WP.

Looking at Across Five Aprils or Hell's Highway as next purchase. T&T and Noble Knight both out of stock though.

Check Days of The Knights in Newark, DE for Across Five Aprils, I seem to recall seeing a well-loved copy for sale.  Their store online sucks, but they've got a good collection, but you have to call them.

11B4V

Habbaku

Another fawning review of A Few Acres of Snow, this time from Quarter to Three :

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2012/01/10/a-few-acres-of-snow-you-say-vous-desirez-la-revolution/

QuoteSo that's it then, eh? A cool game that you can't buy or play because it's already sold out, and therefore is just another example of hot boardgames being unavailable to anyone who isn't compulsively refreshing Boardgamegeek every five minutes? Oh no, friends. That is where you're wrong.

Yucata.de, a long-time Eurogame online free-to-play website, offers a very nice implementation of A Few Acres of Snow. Play is asynchronous, so you can't see your opponent's move until it's done, but the applet does a nice job of refreshing itself when a move is available (and sending you an email about it). It can even move you from game to game if you're playing multiple instances. The applet itself works cleanly, has an elegant interface, and — most importantly — enforces the rules.

:)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien