Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 01, 2012, 08:47:47 PM
You tried the Central Front system? Hof Gap, et al?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/4255/central-front-series

At one time I had V Corps and Hof Gap. Maps were works of art. System was OK too. If I remember right, somethings like Air Power was abstracted. Friction points anyone?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Ran into a term on BGG.....EuroGamer????? :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 02, 2012, 07:53:40 AM

Where have you been, man?

You see, Eurogamers have to be cleared away by the hand of God, like the Jews of old.

Tamas

Yes, and they call any game where there is randomness (ie. a need to improvize, adapt, and generally show a creative brain) "ameritrash"

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 07:59:02 AM

Where have you been, man?

You see, Eurogamers have to be cleared away by the hand of God, like the Jews of old.

On the fringe, man, the fringe.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on January 02, 2012, 08:01:50 AM

Yes, and they call any game where there is randomness (ie. a need to improvize, adapt, and generally show a creative brain) "ameritrash"
Complexity or asysemetrical in other words.

CountDeMoney

11B, Sounds like you need a big ol' heapin' helping of...PUERTO RICO!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 02, 2012, 08:18:58 AM

I only had to see a couple of the images on BGG of that game to say.....I'm good, thanks. :huh:

From BGG

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 02, 2012, 08:25:31 AM

I only had to see a couple of the images on BGG of that game to say.....I'm good, thanks. :huh:

When I went out to Origins last year (2010), the largest area in the exhibit hall was for Mayfair Games and playing area for Settlers of Catan.  I wanted to go all Jesus-in-the-Temple on them. But I didn't.
It was still disgusting to watch, though.  Not a single panzer division was in play.

11B4V

QuoteNot a single panzer division was in play.

Sacrilege. If they look anything like dude  :huh: above, he dont need to be around a panzer div. The french or polish...eh I'll grant him that.

Ed Anger

Friends don't let friends play Puerto Rico.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

SO how do you guys feel about Eurogamers mechanics creeping into your wargames?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on January 02, 2012, 12:02:50 PM
SO how do you guys feel about Eurogamers mechanics creeping into your wargames?

Posing aside, I think classical "american" games can learn from the eurogames, and they have been doing just that, to good effect.

That's because, a lot of these "european" mechanics offer a lot of streamlining compared to the classics without sacrificing the number, difficulty, or quality of decisions. And let's face it, the ""eurogamer" spread raised the production qualities. Gone are butt-ugly maps and counters.

The plight of eurogames aren't the rules and mechanics - Puerto Rico has very nice and clever mechanics. The problem is their philosophy - they too often cater to the Mensa-members and assorted "intellectuals" who are no doubt very smart and have a great talent in number-crounching and analysis, but start to shake and frown when any kind of random factor is involved. They think you need bigger brains for something you can win repeatedly by the same way, they don't realize that it is a far greater challenge to constantly adopt for ever-chaning circumstances.

And of course the other big eurogamer problem is the very loosely attached theme. That's what hurts me most regarding them.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on January 02, 2012, 08:01:50 AM

That's not true.  Classically Eurogames have no problem with randomness.  See Settlers of Catan, Um Reifenbreite, Manhattan, Hare and Tortoise, El Grande, Ursuppe and many others.  Even if you go back to the American game that is considered the father of Eurogames, Acquire, it's got a healthy dose of luck.  The major impetus behind most Eurogames is the exploration of game mechanics over faithfulness to the theme.  This can lead to accusations of the theme being "tacked on", which in some cases is literally true.  Despite this there almost always is some sort of theme, which along with a degree of randomness differentiates them from Abstracts like Chess, Checkers or Go.

The Ameritrash label isn't separated from Eurogames by randomness, rather it's typified by games with a historical, fantasy or science fiction bent where the theme and components have a greater importance than the mechanisms of the game.  They tend to trace their roots back to the Milton Bradley Big Box games of the 80s, like Shogun, Conquest of the Empire, Fortress America and Axis & Allies