News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

:lol:

I ordered Case Yellow(killing Zoupas for fun and profit), That solo Alexander game for a friend, that Excalibre Ancient Conquest and almost that Sun of York game. Good thing I looked at BGG. CARD GAME? FAGG0TRY!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Kleves on December 29, 2011, 06:59:49 PM
Any good strategic-level ACW games out there? For the People doesn't count.

Civil War by Victory Games???? http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2081/the-civil-war I have always heard good thing about it. Preety big game though.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 27, 2011, 10:10:50 PM
Quote from: dps on December 27, 2011, 07:19:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 27, 2011, 08:10:22 AM
Haven't seen that many colors since AH's Anzio.  Or a pack of Skittles.

Dude, you own Europa titles.  I only see 7 different colors on that countersheet.  In Europa, the Germans and the Soviets each get more color schemes than that.

Yes, but see, in Europa, you still have shades.  Are the Brits & Co. khaki?  Yes;  but they're 8 different shades of khaki.

True, except for the Indians and some other colonials (i.e., not the Dominions) which are white with khaki/black & khaki/etc print, and the Royal Marines, who have apparantly got stuck with grey counters (though technically, that's supposed to be just an interim measure).

11B4V

Meanwhile down in the War Room, the playtesting continues to cmplete the review. :bleeding:

This is the initial deployment at start for this..game. It shows the formidable 1st line and 2nd lines of defense. Remember there are only two Russian HQs to control these units. :mad: One with a command radius of (4 in the second line) and the other with a radius of (3 in the first line). Right now 50% of the first line defending units will be out of command starting turn 2. :huh: You are suppose to pack 3 SS divisions and Corps assests into that little area south of the frontline. I modified that. SS-LAH and SS-Das Reich are deployed on map with their Arty off map. SS-Totenkopf and Corps assests are in reserve still in the counter sheet ready to exploit.

Btw; Elements of two russian rifle divisions are missing that were historically in the second line, but not included in the game. :mad: No matter I guess, thay would all be out of command by turn 2 anyway.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2011, 09:15:22 PM
:lol:

I ordered Case Yellow(killing Zoupas for fun and profit), That solo Alexander game for a friend, that Excalibre Ancient Conquest and almost that Sun of York game. Good thing I looked at BGG. CARD GAME? FAGG0TRY!

I ordered the Axis Empires duo (only because they were on sale), Few Acres of Snow (Hab's rave reviews sold me), and I caught up on a shitload of WH40K books I'd fallen behind on.  I was thinking about Case Yellow, but I think I'm gonna wait for the OCS version they're working on to come out.

CountDeMoney

Incidentally, anybody planning on going to ASL Winter Offensive in Bowie in January?  They'll be debuting Festung Budapest.  It looks like it's going to be as big, if not bigger, than Valor of the Guards.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on December 24, 2011, 05:37:33 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 24, 2011, 04:29:36 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 22, 2011, 02:44:15 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 22, 2011, 02:40:57 AM
Finnally found a copy of Bitter End.

:)

I was reading the designer notes (Ive had the pdf copy of the rules for awhile) and he considered Operation Frühlingserwachen first. Decided against it and I agree. The Konrad offensives were more dramatic.

As far as I can tell, most of my grandparents' stories come from the Konrad timeline, as they were caught by the middle of it, as civilians. (IIRC you can find the village of "Zamoly" on the map, which is were my mother comes from. It was more or less completely destroyed during this time, changing hands like a dozen times)

It's there on the map.

I have to say this game has excellent componets.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2011, 04:23:29 PM
For those that remember the old SPI games, their 1979 catalog:

http://wargamememories.com/Documents/SPI%20Brochure%201979.pdf

Sigh.

I have about 20 of those games, depending on how you count some of them that could be either purchased individually or as a set.

Several more, I'd like to get my hands on, especially if I could get them for the '79 list price.

11B4V

Gents,

How do this compare to this

The Brain

With the first you have to get Operation Garbo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Ah, kind of meant  a comparison of the system.

CountDeMoney

Can't say;  always wanted the Assault system, never got it.
World at War is a quiet, streamlined system if you don't want to get bogged down too much, and very pretty components, although Monkeybutt hates the font, and I prefer top-down as opposed to profile silohuettes.  But you have to be careful if you want it to remain "authentic", because he starts going off the rails with the system later on:  it's all eventually tied into his fantasy/sci-fi premise.  It's...strange.

Personally, as far as US/USSR stuff goes for tactical West Germany WW3 stuff, I still prefer AH's MBT.  It's got West German OOB in it, I just wish it had a few more NATO nations as well.  It's sister, IDF, is a pip, too.  Get to tear up Syrians with TEH CHOSIN PIPPLES with that one.

Also, AH's Tac Air is a little on the unwieldly side--these games are symptomatic of the late AH design features, which included god-awful rules systems--but still fun when you get it down.  More of a platoon/company level thing.  With A-10s.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 01, 2012, 11:20:44 AM

Personally, as far as US/USSR stuff goes for tactical West Germany WW3 stuff, I still prefer AH's MBT.  It's got West German OOB in it, I just wish it had a few more NATO nations as well.  It's sister, IDF, is a pip, too.  Get to tear up Syrians with TEH CHOSIN PIPPLES with that one.

Two very good and top notch choices in IDF & MBT.

I played the shit out of the Assault sytem w/ the add=ons. A good system, but can get intensive. I've been on the fence about getting any new or replacing old NATO/WP games. They had a huge appeal to me back in the day. When the WP broke up the appeal went to zero. Thanks to the Commie Russian fucks. IMO they fucked up a perfectly good category of wargaming. :ultra: