News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Is there a version of B-29 where I can bomb the Japs?

Found RAF - looks pretty cool. Thanks :)
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Tamas

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 28, 2011, 09:14:44 AM
Is there a version of B-29 where I can bomb the Japs?

Found RAF - looks pretty cool. Thanks :)

B-29 is a completely separate game from B-17 (altough admittedly inspired by it), and it IS about bombing the Japs.

HisMajestyBOB

Sweet! Searching for it now.
Looks like it's only for Cyberboard, not Vassal. Doesn't matter though.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

I would love the give 3 player TK another shot...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Contining the living review for "Guards Tank".

Gents I would like your opinions if you think there's too much nastiness. I dont want it to appear that way.

Ongoing to be sure. :what:
1=worst to 10=best
Counters; (6)
  A first look at the counter sheet shows good clear markings and symbols. I like the different colors on the German counters. It makes them readily identifiable. Since the designer used the German SS "Lightning Bolts", the historical SS regimental names should have been used. Might as well have went for the "Full Monty". The Russian counter colors should be more disernable between formations. It was the 375th Rifle Division not 375th Guards. The Russian tank brigades appear to be historically named. Why not the same for their rifle regiments? That info is easily attainable.
(+)Counter markings clear and easy to read.
(+)German units distinguishable
(-)Unit ID errors
(-)Historical unit ID not used throughout

OOB; (3) 
The OOB is not bad. This is a glass half full perspective. A lot of the represented units and formations are included. However, the designer got the Russian command structures wrong. This game begins on 5 July not 10 July. Command structures need to be present IAW what was historical in place on 5 July.   
  Big problems to follow. The 5th Gds Army is missing as a formation. 5th Guards Army divisions are lumped in with the 6th Guards Army. Why? These divisions were not subordinate to 6th Gds Army. 5th Gds Army was SS-Totenkopf's primary antagonist when that division was shifted from the Corps right flank and put back into the Corps main effort. This is a major oversight on the designer's part.
  There is the 23rd RC HQ, but no 33rd and 32nd Gds Rifle Corps Hq's for the 5th Gds Army divisions. Several divisions are missing that weighed into the II SS sector (i.e. 6th Gds Abn, 66th Gds, 97th Gds, 93rd Gds). Several tank formations are just lumped in with the 5th Gds Tank Army (5th and 2nd Gds Tank Corps). Background; Both these Corps were subordinate to 1st Tank Army around 5 july. It wasn't until 11 July that 2nd Gds Tank Corps was attached to 5th Gds Tank Army. Again the game does not start on 10 or 11 July. Why are they lumped in with the 5th Gds Tank Army? Both of these Corps operated and had an impact in the II SS Corps' area. As did the 31st Tank Corps, which is also missing.

The Russian 6th Gds Army's command structure is all skewed. As it stands by the rule book, the 6th GA HQ and 23rd RC HQ control 28 Russian formations/units(see rule snippet). How is that supposed to be accomplished within their command ranges? Russian divisional HQs should have been included. Not to mention 5th Gds Army's, 32nd GRC, and 33 GRC HQs.  I see major handicaps for the Russians that should not be there.

C2 rule snippets;
7.3 Command Structure: Each scenario has a "Command Structure" section for each side. This will delineate which HQ can provide command for which units.

7.5 Units Without HQ: In certain cases, a unit may have no HQ assigned to it, which means that unit is always OOC. ??????

24.7 Soviet Deployment
Soviet Command Structure
6 Guards Army (6GD) and 23 Guards Corps
(23 GD) command all units of:
the 42 Guards, 51 Guards, 52 Guards,
95 Guards, 183 Rifle and 375 Guards Rifle Divisions; 9 Guards Airborne Division;
6 Guards Army (6 GD) non-divisional units.

How is this supposed to be accomplished by these two HQs?

FYI: The 183rd Rifle Div. was part of the 48th Rifle Corps which was subordinate to the 69th Army not the 6th Gds Army. We have another formation present that is is lumped into the 6th Gds Army from the start.

A regiment from the German 167th  ID is present for the start of the game, which is good. Where is the rest of the division? The 167th ID relieved SS-Totenkopf from the Corps right flank around 8-9 July. The rest of the division should have been included and scheduled to arrive as reinforcements.
(+)(-) OOB is OK, just not complete or structured correctly
(-) Missing Russian Army/Corps/Division HQs.
(-)Missing formations that are critical towards the latter half of the offensive

Map/Scale; (2.5)
This map is so lacking I am stunned. Not much effort appeared to go into any research of the terrain in the sector.  Even a good portion of the Bykovka-Pokrovka road is missing. That was directly along SS-Leibstandarte's axis. A portion of the map sheet is taken up with charts and tables. These tables could have been put in the magazine. That would have fixed areas that are lacking in regards to the map coverage of the II SS sector. The map is labeled with the wrong scale, however that is minor. I disagree with a map scale of 1 km for regimental sized units. Background; Historically the 52nd Gds Rifle Division covered roughly 14 kms of the first defensive belt. They had eight of their nine battalions in the forward line. In order to cover that same frontage at game scale leaves some mighty big holes. I could provide a deployment example for the 375th (Rifle) Division for 5 July if needed. This information and deployment maps are easily found even on the internet. This does not make the Russian defensive line(s) very formidable nor realistic. Again it would seem the Russians are unnessisarily handicapped by the designer.
(-)Not much effort into the map
(-)Regimental units and 1km map scale unrealistic.
(-)Game tables should be elsewhere instead of map.

Rules/Tables;
The rules are well laid out and very readable. Some minor typos in the tables and rules text do appear. As already stated the charts and tables should not be on the map. More to follow. I have to take a break from this game.

Game Mechanics;

The Flow of the Battle;
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Meh, I don't think you're really being nasty.  After all, it's a historical war game, and designers know what kind of crowd they're dealing with. 

And when it comes to OOB, after the Eastern Front perhaps only Napoleonictards are the biggest nitpickers (ZOMG NEY DIDNT ARRIVE UNTIL 11:10 THAT MORNING NOT 10:55 ZOMG FAIL), so a designer should know better than to toss out such shoddy research work, particularly on a subject that's been covered so much as Kursk.

OTOH, 1) it IS a magazine game, and 2) it IS a Decision Games magazine game.  That's kinda like being surprised about errors on a Wiki page. I mean: whaddya expect?

But no, I see no nastiness.  Just your typical wargamer nitpicking.  :P  But you put out crap, you're gonna get called on it.  And fucking Joe fucking knows better.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2011, 06:08:42 AM

OTOH, 1) it IS a magazine game, and 2) it IS a Decision Games magazine game.  That's kinda like being surprised about errors on a Wiki page. I mean: whaddya expect?

Thanks for the input and very good points.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

The more I investigate the map and what is missing in this abomination, the more enraged I get. This guy is a professional designer of games? Map is lowered to a (2.5)out of 10. At least he put Prokhorovka on it. This smacks of diehard German fanboi-ism.

Habbaku

My condolences that you bought a JoeMi game with the hopes that it might be good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on December 29, 2011, 03:35:27 PM
My condolences that you bought a JoeMi game with the hopes that it might be good.

I am really stunned. I posted the partial review at BGG. It's pending right now. On to Consimworld I go.

http://talk.consimworld.com/[email protected]@.1dd4b7fd/112

Ed Anger

I guess you aren't buying the upcoming Minsk '44 game with the same system.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 29, 2011, 05:08:51 PM
I guess you aren't buying the upcoming Minsk '44 game with the same system.
:lmfao: Not based off what Ive seen with this one. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I am eyeballing  Kirovograd for next month.

I will continue to slog forward with Guards Tank. I have to complete this review. People must be warned. :bleeding:

Kleves

Any good strategic-level ACW games out there? For the People doesn't count.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

Thought about ordering from Fine Games, since they extended their clearance sale. But for the life of me, I'm not going to jump through all the hoops to order. WRITE DOWN THE ITEM NUMBER? WHAT IS THIS, 1985?

Sheesh.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

My PayPal spooged all over CoolStuffInc's face today.