News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 05, 2011, 11:35:19 AM
Getting ready to jump into the fray myself.  After some friends finally grabbed me for a gaming night the other night, I'm about ready to get my own copy of Arkham Horror.  I see a lot of expansions for it- would you guys recommend any of them?

Not until you've played the basic game a while. I think the expansions work to keep the game fresh if you play it a lot but it's not like they are necessary to enjoy it. And it gets messy with a couple of expansions with a million cards, extra boards, a handful of rules booklets etc.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

One of the games I bought on 50% discount from GMT was their version of No Retreat.

Good. Purchase.

Mounted board, nice big counters, very low counter density, easy rules but a LOT of way for operational and strategic trickery through the rules and the cards which are not CDG-ish, just cover events, almost all of them are held in hand to fuck your opponent's plans up.
Not to mention the cool victory rules which appear to make an excellent effort, possibly even succeed, of translating the entire eastern war into a GAME in terms of balance at chances of victory throughout the years. And that while keeping the theme and the general historic flow.

I haven't checked if a PBEM module is available, but I would sure love to PBEM it. I just love it based on my test play.

Berkut

Yeah, I played it once and was very impressed. I know there is Vassal out there for it, but no CB.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Spoke to soon - GMT has a CB gamebox up on their site for it now.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Managed to sell my old, first edition copy of Twilight Struggle for enough to cover the purchase of the newest edition.

lol : Poles.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2011, 11:23:25 AM
Spoke to soon - GMT has a CB gamebox up on their site for it now.

:perv:

I don't want to overcommit again, did that too much recently, but my finish-off-the-year-in-a-blaze-of-laziness holiday starts at the end of this week, would love a game of it from, say, Sunday.

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on December 12, 2011, 12:19:16 PM
Managed to sell my old, first edition copy of Twilight Struggle for enough to cover the purchase of the newest edition.

wow

The Brain

Did you check if your copy was one of the rare valuable misprints?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Uh-oh Seedy

QuoteHow does DRK - LAH; DRK - DR; DRK - T sound to you?  They sound good to us!  We have finally figured out how to put these in the Death Ride format.  Don't look for them any time soon, but we're workin' on 'em.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

That would be awesome.

One day, we could have a counter for every company that ever served in the German military.

Lucidor

I got that one two weeks ago. So far 3 games, 2 against a friend and 1 against my girlfriend (who wants to play more). The wording on the "We will bury you" is harder to understand than the original, but the map is mounted on delicious 3-4 mm cardboard. :thumbsup:

Habbaku

I am definitely happy with my upgrade, to be sure.  I will miss "Chili" though.

What did you find confusing about WWBY?  Seems pretty straightforward to me, though I don't recall the old text.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lucidor

I read it as the USSR gets point before any scoring from the US player that turn. Holding two scoring cards in my own hand at the time I got it played at me, I had to go check the FAQ.

Habbaku

Tales from CSW :

QuoteBerg needed a name for an ADC for a general in his Shiloh Game for SPI, Bloody April. He couldn't find the historical name, so he named the guy after his analyst in NYC at the time Dr. Loutsch.

Lo and behold, FGA does a shiloh game, and not only is Dr. Loutsch in the game, but he's been promoted to brigade command.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on December 20, 2011, 05:02:13 PM
Tales from CSW :

QuoteBerg needed a name for an ADC for a general in his Shiloh Game for SPI, Bloody April. He couldn't find the historical name, so he named the guy after his analyst in NYC at the time Dr. Loutsch.

Lo and behold, FGA does a shiloh game, and not only is Dr. Loutsch in the game, but he's been promoted to brigade command.

Sounds like standard FGA procedures to me.  lol