News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Just wanted to say, that a couple of weeks ago I introduced the gaming group I met in the city I work at to Republic of Rome. The new edition which I bought on excuse of this introduction (had the AH one since many years). It was so successful that our regular host in the city has bought a copy of his own and we will play again this weekend.
I am so happy  :cry:

One more step from euro-candyland to proper boardgaming! :menace:

Tamas

I have two questions:

1) Price of Freedom, the strategic ACW game from Compass is on holiday sale. It appears to be well received, but since this forum is full of ACW nerds, I thought I ask for your opinion.
2) If it is decent, do any of you poor bastards desperate enough for a copy of For the People to pay shipping cost from out of Hungary? :P
I haven't touched that game for years, ever since my first PBEM game, where a guy as the North did some trickery with putting a single unit in like every square of his. I can't recall what this was for, but I knew it looked fucking fugly and completely disillusioned me in the game.

Habbaku

1) Well-received by who?  Certainly not wargamers.

2) You're dissatisfied with FtP but want to get PoF?  Lulz.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

If you want an ACW game that is actually fun and historical, I would recommend GMT's Blue vs. Grey.  The only trouble with it is that it's pretty much nothing but a hassle to PBEM it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on December 04, 2011, 12:57:57 PM

2) You're dissatisfied with FtP but want to get PoF?  Lulz.

Well I skimmed the reviews on the geek. I don't mind abstraction and such, with a 3 hours or so playtime I could actually get a face to face opponent every once in a while

CountDeMoney

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 04, 2011, 12:57:57 PM

:lol:

Ok so now that the two of you had a nice good view off your high horses, let's step down a bit and make clear that counter density does necessarily raises the quality of a game. My question was not about "does this cover the rationing regulations of the Army of Potomac adequately" but rather: does it succeed at what it wants to do, which appears to be a strategic coverage of the conflict in an amount of time which is okay for people with a life?
IF you don't know, then you don't know.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 04, 2011, 04:44:14 PM
does it succeed at...strategic coverage of the conflict in an amount of time which is okay for people with a life?

No.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

does it succeed at what it wants to do, which appears to be a strategic coverage of the conflict in an amount of time which is okay for people with a life?

Which is more important for you?

Habbaku

Another game that is just downright awesome is GMT's Sekigahara.  It's about a civil war...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 05:00:33 PM
does it succeed at what it wants to do, which appears to be a strategic coverage of the conflict in an amount of time which is okay for people with a life?

Good question. :) Proper strategic coverage, normally, but again, if it is playable in an evening, I run a decent chance of actually playing it some time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on December 04, 2011, 05:17:24 PM

Good question. :) Proper strategic coverage, normally, but again, if it is playable in an evening, I run a decent chance of actually playing it some time.

Then go for it.  It's wholly digestible in a decently planned evening.
Just don't expect the same kind of replayability over time like other CDGs.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 04, 2011, 05:21:07 PM
Quote from: Tamas on December 04, 2011, 05:17:24 PM

Then go for it.  It's wholly digestible in a decently planned evening.
Just don't expect the same kind of replayability over time like other CDGs.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Getting ready to jump into the fray myself.  After some friends finally grabbed me for a gaming night the other night, I'm about ready to get my own copy of Arkham Horror.  I see a lot of expansions for it- would you guys recommend any of them?
Experience bij!