News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogh

Looks like I'll have a four or give man game tonite. Will report back...

Syt

I've just broken down and gifted myself

After RPS sold me on it.

:blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Another interesting boardgame over at RPS.
STAR TREK: FLEET CAPTAINS

QuoteIn a nutshell, Fleet captains is an adventure game. You assume, by looking at it, that it's a space combat game of some kind. But it really isn't. It's a space exploration game, with the occasional fight, and that's the first big tick in the "Does this feel like Star Trek?" box. I've never understood why so many Star Trek computer and board games of the past have put a focus on space combat. There's hardly any space combat in any of the shows. This game gets the balance just right. You can play a game of this and never fire one photon torpedo. That is how it should be.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

QuoteYou can play a game of this and never fire one photon torpedo. That is how it should be.

gay.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2011, 10:55:51 AM

After RPS sold me on it.

I played a playtest of this over a year back.  I was unimpressed at the time, but my understanding is that they've majorly revamped it.  Let me know what you think.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2011, 07:45:36 AM
Another interesting boardgame over at RPS.
STAR TREK: FLEET CAPTAINS

QuoteIn a nutshell, Fleet captains is an adventure game. You assume, by looking at it, that it's a space combat game of some kind. But it really isn't. It's a space exploration game, with the occasional fight, and that's the first big tick in the "Does this feel like Star Trek?" box. I've never understood why so many Star Trek computer and board games of the past have put a focus on space combat. There's hardly any space combat in any of the shows. This game gets the balance just right. You can play a game of this and never fire one photon torpedo. That is how it should be.

:mmm:

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2011, 08:08:56 AM
QuoteYou can play a game of this and never fire one photon torpedo. That is how it should be.

gay.

The gay version of SFB by the sound of it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on November 07, 2011, 01:52:33 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 06, 2011, 08:08:56 AM

gay.

The gay version of SFB by the sound of it.

If you read it: no.

I have ordered it in my enthusiasm: it is an adventure game, exploring a random map and doing missions and solving encounters and stuff. One of the reviewers made a perfectly valid point here: why star trek games of the past focused exclusively on combat? You had like one proper space duel every dozen episodes.

Tamas

I have been browsing a blog-ish thing on the 'geek about iOS and Android board game conversions.

I just can't see how long I can go on without pissing money away on an ipad. Oh, the humiliation. :weep:

When is the ipad 3 coming?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2011, 04:27:18 AM
I have been browsing a blog-ish thing on the 'geek about iOS and Android board game conversions.

I just can't see how long I can go on without pissing money away on an ipad. Oh, the humiliation. :weep:

ipad 2 came out in the spring, so I bet they'll do a #3 in the spring next year.

Also, IIRC, Apple had a 10% off sale on Black Friday. Or Cyber Monday. so that'll save you 50 bucks or so.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 07, 2011, 11:43:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 07, 2011, 04:27:18 AM

ipad 2 came out in the spring, so I bet they'll do a #3 in the spring next year.

Also, IIRC, Apple had a 10% off sale on Black Friday. Or Cyber Monday. so that'll save you 50 bucks or so.

Fag.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Got that Star Trek game.

Oozes with theme indeed, and I can't wait to get a game of it.

But the components... they LOOK awesome, but the paper quality is quite low, it bothers me most regarding the tiles which should be more thicker. The cards aren't perfect either but they are okay.

The click-whatever mechanic in the ship bases though :bleeding: Apparently I have got a chinaman on acid assembling mine because I have found 3 models where I had to take them apart and fix them via knife, and I have only checked like a quarter of them.

It's a shame because the game appears to be great and just screams for expansions. But I am not paying a shitload of money to then spend time on fixing what some yellow assembly line worker fucked up. :ultra:

Tamas

Did a quick solitaire test of Fleet Captains (there are no solo rules, I just had to do the grognardy mind-split technique)

Not only the ships drawn supported the classic "Federation explores, Klingons fight" setup, the most badass fighter on the Federation side was Voyager, with the old Enterprise as close second, plus two other frigate-like thingies, and for the Klingons I drew a big battleship. Plus a sort of medium one, and a scout vessel.

Since I was wary of storming into unexplored space with my Klingon warships, the Federation had time to scan some sectors, extend it's influence to 8 sectors, and in the process gather most of their ships in an effort to stop a moon collapsing into one of the habitable planets they discovered, gaining a healthy lead in VPs. All the while the Klingon scout ship ran into a temporal discplacement, returning to the starting zone, and the medium ship got some water-whatever happening to them, intoxicating the crew, but they quickly managed to regain proper control.

A bit later, one of the Federation ships had an encounter with the mirror universe, causing the Federation and Klingon hands to be exchanged with each other. Also, their most scouty scout ship ran into the envoys of this pacifist race which name I forgot, and since the Federation had combat cards in their hand, the scout had to retreat to the starting zone.

And that lead to the most Klingon moment of the game. As the Federation frigate started to explore the half of the map which had been ignored 'til that point, the big Klingon ship cloaked, and had enough engine powers, and an explored patch of space ahead of it, to storm the frigate at half the map's distance, uncloak, and just brutally rape the small ship.
The Enterprise fought the the medium Klingon ship to a draw but got into yellow alert (light damage). The Voyager stormed to the rescue and shot down the Klingon ship to red alert (major damage), and this escalated into a big battle, as the Klingon main battleship arrived to the scene, and combining with the remaining firepower of it's smaller comrade destroyed Voyager.
All these victories helped the Klingons to work toward their secret missions, but not fast enough.

While this lasted, the 4th Federation ship, the Excelsior IIRC, flew into Klingon-explored space to place and retrieve an away team to a Klingon-controlled habitable planet, for an intelligence mission they had.
As their comrades tangled with the Klingons, the Excelsior flew back into Federation space, and created an Outpost in one of their planets, then upgrading it to a Colony, thus scoring two more missions and winning the match.

This game has what I often value most in a game: narrative

Syt

Quote from: frunk on November 06, 2011, 10:44:43 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2011, 10:55:51 AM

After RPS sold me on it.

I played a playtest of this over a year back.  I was unimpressed at the time, but my understanding is that they've majorly revamped it.  Let me know what you think.

Was delivered yesterday. The production values are nice, ut I was expecting that - I already have Flying Frog's Last Night On Earth.

Where LNoE is rather fast paced, this seems, at first glance a bit more cumbersome. Actually, the manual warns that with mroe than 4 players the game becomes rather slow - I guess downtime for other players seems the biggest issue. We're three people who normally play such games, so that should be fine.

My initial fear is that while there are quite a few cards, the variety in the various stacks (Gear, General Items, Enemies, etc.) seems a bit limited at first glance, and it remains to be seen how quickly they become repetitive. I guess I will run a few playtests this weekend of the game modes. Competitive has heroes competing to amass fortune and glory while thwarting their opponents and evading villains (crime syndicate or Nazi Germans). Cooperative (and solo) mode have the heroes trying to stop the Nazis/Criminals from obtaining artifacts and ruling the world.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Slowly catching back up with my hoarding, waiting for the big brown truck to drop off For King and Country and Guderian's Blitzkrieg II.

Did anybody pre-order Where Eagles Dare and receive it yet?