News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 20, 2011, 06:34:25 PM
In the mail: Habs did me a big favor, and scored a copy of Armies of Oblivion for me at WBC.  And one for himself.

$$$  Scoring that at the price I did will pay for about 1/3 of my WBC expenses.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

As for new stuff, I am definitely ordering A Few Acres of Snow when I find a cheaper copy.  Game's a lot of fun and on a rather esoteric topic :

http://www.treefroggames.com/a-few-acres-of-snow-2
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Esoteric ?!?!  :ultra:

Seriously, as I am contractually obliged to purchase and play games taking place in New France (okay, this bit is not so serious), I am glad this one is good.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

You're right, I forgot about the plethora of games focused on North American settlement and the conflict between France and England over it.  Such as...uh...

:P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

It's a Martin Wallace game, i haven't played this one in particular but i'm a big fan of his games.  They're Euro style i'd say but the best of the genre.  Brass is just amazing, never had a bad play of it.  Automobile is very good and so is the "Last Train to Wensleydale". 

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on August 21, 2011, 10:12:30 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 08:16:47 PM

You're right, I forgot about the plethora of games focused on North American settlement and the conflict between France and England over it.  Such as...uh...

:P

I was more expressing surprise to see the French and Indian War described as an esoteric topic... But you are right: when every drunken bar fight of WWII gets made into its own wargame, and the History Chanel is running a 12-hour marathon over the "Secret Imaginary Weapons of the Nazis" any other conflict is bound to appear "esoteric"...  :P

(But, as for the gaming world, there are at least GMT's Wilderness War and Columbia Games' Quebec 1759 on the topic).

Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Yeah, but the game isn't just the Seven Years War, which is why I called it esoteric.  Wilderness War is a fine game, but much more traditional in terms of topic than A Few Acres.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 11:59:20 PMI was more expressing surprise to see the French and Indian War described as an esoteric topic... But you are right: when every drunken bar fight of WWII gets made into its own wargame, and the History Chanel is running a 12-hour marathon over the "Secret Imaginary Weapons of the Nazis" any other conflict is bound to appear "esoteric"...  :P

(But, as for the gaming world, there are at least GMT's Wilderness War and Columbia Games' Quebec 1759 on the topic).

I've definitely seen a resurgence in interest in colonial North America--Worthington Games' Clash For a Continent and the F&IW module for their Hold the Line system has been very popular, as has GMT's King Philip's War (OK, no French but lotsa Indians).  Empires in America is reviewed on CSW's first page this weekend, and Academy is coming out with a Birth of America series, so the interest has still been there.

I'd say that, as far as specific topics go with conflicts that don't involve The Big Four (Napoleonic/ACW/WWI/WWII), only the Spanish Civil War has probably seen more productions in the last couple of years.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2011, 05:34:23 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 11:59:20 PMI was more expressing surprise to see the French and Indian War described as an esoteric topic... But you are right: when every drunken bar fight of WWII gets made into its own wargame, and the History Chanel is running a 12-hour marathon over the "Secret Imaginary Weapons of the Nazis" any other conflict is bound to appear "esoteric"...  :P

I've definitely seen a resurgence in interest in colonial North America--Worthington Games' Clash For a Continent and the F&IW module for their Hold the Line system has been very popular, as has GMT's King Philip's War (OK, no French but lotsa Indians).  Empires in America is reviewed on CSW's first page this weekend, and Academy is coming out with a Birth of America series, so the interest has still been there.

I'd say that, as far as specific topics go with conflicts that don't involve The Big Four (Napoleonic/ACW/WWI/WWII), only the Spanish Civil War has probably seen more productions in the last couple of years.

It's funny, but not long ago, when it comes to wargaming, nobody would have put WWI in "The Big Four".  Its place would have been taken by games on hypothetical contemporary/near contemporary topics, a subject we don't see covered much anymore.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on August 22, 2011, 06:29:42 AM
It's funny, but not long ago, when it comes to wargaming, nobody would have put WWI in "The Big Four".

Paths of Glory changed all that. 

QuoteIts place would have been taken by games on hypothetical contemporary/near contemporary topics, a subject we don't see covered much anymore.

Died roughly the same time as the Cold War.  Contemporary conflicts with competitive opposing sides are few and far between.  Gaming Gulf War 1: Roll 1d6, 1-6 Result = US Strategic Victory

But, some revisionist stuff has been popping up again, if only for nostaglic "What Ifs".

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2011, 07:23:53 AM

QuoteIts place would have been taken by games on hypothetical contemporary/near contemporary topics, a subject we don't see covered much anymore.

Died roughly the same time as the Cold War.  Contemporary conflicts with competitive opposing sides are few and far between.  Gaming Gulf War 1: Roll 1d6, 1-6 Result = US Strategic Victory

But, some revisionist stuff has been popping up again, if only for nostaglic "What Ifs".
Aint that the truth. I pretty much have no more interest in Nato v. WP games. Not even in TOAW
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2011, 07:23:53 AM
Quote from: dps on August 22, 2011, 06:29:42 AM
It's funny, but not long ago, when it comes to wargaming, nobody would have put WWI in "The Big Four.  Its place would have been taken by games on hypothetical contemporary/near contemporary topics, a subject we don't see covered much anymore.

Died roughly the same time as the Cold War.  

Yeah, for once we see a clear reason why there was a change in what's popular.

Habbaku

On a whim and with a recommendation from a friend, I'm picking up GMT's Sekigahara.  Looks neat and is certainly not your average block game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25021/sekigahara-unification-of-japan

On a related note, I think I may end up being the developer for Combat Patrol.  We'll see how that comes along, though...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

A Few Acres of Snow is definitely the current hotness for me.  Playing 8 games back to back yesterday with different results in each one (well, okay, aside from the fact that I won 7/8 games), I didn't notice any single strategy to be overpowered. 

The game can easily develop into a peaceful build-up, which I've seen happen amongst other games and had happen twice to me, but I suspect that's a losing proposition for the British.  The real trick seems to be when and where to prepare for raiding and sieges of enemy stuff to throw a wrench in their development.  Subtle differences between the decks (French and English each have a Rangers/Coureurs de Bois card, yet only the British one costs anything to get, for example) make for pretty interesting options.

-J. R. R. Tolkien