News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

At WBC now.  Already enjoyed one drama-queen session with some d-bag here.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Tell me more, your fucking asshole. You know I cannot be there, the least you could do is come through with some juicy details.

More or less d-baggy than the TNW guy last year?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Since I unfortunately don't know about the d-bag that you dealt with at TNW last year, I can only assume this is vastly worse.

Basically, Dockter ropes me and Burdett into playing, sight-and-rules-unseen, the 2nd edition of The Russian Civil War (the DG/S&T thing).  We get 7 people total together and settle down for The Rules Reading by Dockter so we get some basic idea of what the fuck is going on.

Anyway, one of the guys at the table (Marvin Birnbaum) gets up after the rules reading is over with and wanders off without a word.  Not having any clue what was going on, we decided to punish him for his transgressions by purging him from the Politburo in the game.  He gets back to find out that he's been kicked from the Politburo and, as a consequence, loses one of his minor units.

He might have a claim of being mad at this point, sure.  But we're all laughing, joking around with him about how we're going to purge him further, turn him over to the Cheka, etc.. So he leaves again without warning while we're puzzling over some rules issue or another.  When he comes back, we make the same joke about purging him and inform him that we went ahead and skipped him, even though skipping him doesn't really matter that much (instead of playing 1st, he plays 2nd). Guy flips the fuck out.  Starts cursing up a storm, getting pissed off while Burdett goes quiet, I look skeptical, Dockter and the others try to get him to calm down.  He doesn't.  Instead, he wanders off again after his petulant tirade saying he'll "be back."

Naturally, we purge him again in absentia.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

He didn't talk with a thick Austrian accent did he?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Nein.  Just an annoying, Jew Yorker one.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

A Few Acres of Snow is better at using Dominion's mechanics than Dominion is.  A lot better.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Reading on the CSW boards that Mark Herman's redux of VG's Pacific War is slated for playtesting in September with MMP.  Should be a lovely production.
Apparently, he's redoing the original map perspective, which I find unfortunate as I always thought it was probably the best, most accurate projection of the Pacific theater.

Hope he doesn't cock it all up.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2011, 12:35:09 AM
Apparently, he's redoing the original map perspective, which I find unfortunate as I always thought it was probably the best, most accurate projection of the Pacific theater.
Absolutely agree - terrific projection that really made some issues (like "WTF Aleutians?") much clearer.  I remember discussing this map with him at Origins when it was first published, and he was delighted with the way it turned out.  Wonder what changed?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Apparently not to sweat it, g:

QuoteYou will be pleased then to hear that this is precisely what it is, this will serve as the basis for the redux of "Pacific War" that Mark Herman is currently working on.

CountDeMoney

Lulz, Richard Berg catching shit for using the term "Teabaggers" on CSW.

I'm starting to appreciate the Berg more.  Is resistance: futile?

The Brain

Played Android for the first time. Didn't finish it today but we'll continue later. We like it, it's certainly a bit different from most other games we play.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

In the mail: Habs did me a big favor, and scored a copy of Armies of Oblivion for me at WBC.  And one for himself.

Anybody going to get anything new in the very near future?

The Brain

I am planning a game of SPQR with someone I met through work. Work actually being useful? That's something new.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2011, 07:19:15 PM
I am planning a game of SPQR with someone I met through work. Work actually being useful? That's something new.

The gamers at work are all RPG/Fantasytards.  Not that I don't mind throwing in with a Warhammer 40K night now and then, but there ain't a fucking panzerpusher in the bunch.

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2011, 07:19:15 PM

That's pretty awesome.  Looking forward to hearing how that goes.  I've always wanted to give the system a try, but it has Berg's name on it...

-J. R. R. Tolkien