News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

My personal take is that the PC has become vastly superior to the tactical simulation of battles. Probably operational ones as well, but that's debatable due to the lack of computer content.

So for quite many years I have been concentrating on more strategic board games. The social aspect is there and the same (except better), and due to the lack of good strategical coverage of historical conflicts on PC, I don't feel like doing something I could do ten times easier on the computer.

It's not a complaint though or wanting to fling crap at your preferences, just a random outburst of personal opinion :)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2011, 08:36:57 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 17, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 03:49:44 PM

I'm waiting for my copy of None But Heroes, which is MMP's new ACW regimental/battery-level system.   Combine that with the addition of new games as well as redoing the old ones in the GBACW system, I think those are the levels I prefer for the ACW.

You get it yet?

I went with Cool Stuff Inc, so it's waiting to come in from MMP.  Cheaper.  So I wait.

OK, CSI just sent me an email overnight;  they're sending me my order of None But Heroes, GMT's Infidel, and the ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1.  Wooties.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2011, 04:57:15 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 17, 2011, 08:36:57 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 17, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 03:49:44 PM

I'm waiting for my copy of None But Heroes, which is MMP's new ACW regimental/battery-level system.   Combine that with the addition of new games as well as redoing the old ones in the GBACW system, I think those are the levels I prefer for the ACW.

You get it yet?

I went with Cool Stuff Inc, so it's waiting to come in from MMP.  Cheaper.  So I wait.

OK, CSI just sent me an email overnight;  they're sending me my order of None But Heroes, GMT's Infidel, and the ASL Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1.  Wooties.
Trifecta

I'm courious about the LoB system and how it stacks against GBACW system (ala Gleam of Bayonets.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2011, 04:12:31 AM
My personal take is that the PC has become vastly superior to the tactical simulation of battles. Probably operational ones as well, but that's debatable due to the lack of computer content.

So for quite many years I have been concentrating on more strategic board games. The social aspect is there and the same (except better), and due to the lack of good strategical coverage of historical conflicts on PC, I don't feel like doing something I could do ten times easier on the computer.

It's not a complaint though or wanting to fling crap at your preferences, just a random outburst of personal opinion :)

I can see your point. I've been watching the "Birds of Prey" comments and threads. My preference is a computer air sim over a board air game as reflected in my comments about Air War and Air Superiority. I cringe when I think about setting up a scenario in Air War of 4 Nesher's vs. 10 Mig 21/Mig 17. I was good with the Air War rules rules in the day. IMO that game would take a concerted investment in time.   

Board Wargames had an allure to me years ago. After years on the bench so to speak, they do again, but in a more targeted way. Mainly tactical and operational. Strategic not so much. The artwork nowadays is head and shoulders above the 1980 era games IMO.

Not to say boardwargames will displace CM, TOAW III, or PC: Ostfront.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Tamas on June 21, 2011, 04:12:31 AM

On a certain level, I agree with you, but OTOH, I'd rather play Terrible Swift Sword or any other game in the GBACW series than any computer game on a ACW battle.  Though it can be argued that TSS is operational or "grand tactical" instead of tactical.

In practice, my computer gaming is mostly what I would describe as games that are strategy games but not wargames--EU, Civ, Heroes of Might and Magic, MOO, MOM, Colonization, etc.  I haven't played an actual computer wargame in years. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on June 21, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
I haven't played an actual computer wargame in years.

MatrixGames customers can say the same thing.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2011, 04:41:05 PM
Quote from: dps on June 21, 2011, 02:46:21 PM
I haven't played an actual computer wargame in years.

MatrixGames customers can say the same thing.

oh snap  :lol:

dps

Did another partial update to my owned list on boardgame geek after going through some stuff I had boxed up.  A bunch more left to do. 

11B4V

Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 04:00:01 PM
Did another partial update to my owned list on boardgame geek after going through some stuff I had boxed up.  A bunch more left to do.

Nice

I just got the S&T order from Noble of; Battle of Monmouth, Wilson's Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Cedar Mountain.

Wellington's Vic and Ney v. Wellington should be here anytime.

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on June 24, 2011, 04:06:09 PM
Quote from: dps on June 24, 2011, 04:00:01 PM

Nice

I just got the S&T order from Noble of; Battle of Monmouth, Wilson's Creek, Pleasant Hill, and Cedar Mountain.

Wellington's Vic and Ney v. Wellington should be here anytime.

There's a few of them in there that I had actually forgotten that I owned.  Mostly magazine games that came with the subscription and I've never even read the rules for, but I also somehow forgot that I had Wellington's Victory.  I haven't actually played it, either, and I frankly have no idea when or where I acquired it.

11B4V

QuoteI haven't actually played it, either, and I frankly have no idea when or where I acquired it.

I love that line

11B4V

I have vague recolections of this.  The pieces spraked something when I was looking for a civil war illistrated book.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2428/battle-cry

CountDeMoney

This is absofuckinglutely the last time I let work interfere with Origins ever again. :mad:

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2011, 11:26:13 PM
This is absofuckinglutely the last time I let work interfere with WBC ever again. :mad:

Look, you can use this one next month!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien