And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on June 16, 2011, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: Kleves on June 16, 2011, 08:28:19 PM
This Paradis guy? He doesn't seem so bad on BGG. Jensen seems to be much more of a douche.
Habs has probably met him.  I don't think I've ever met any of those dudes and thought they were douchebags, but some seemed a little weird (e.g. Ted Raicer).  I've met a couple that were totally awesome, such as Andy Lewis, Mark Miklos, Keith Cumiskey, and Gene Billingsley (even if the latter is a kiddie diddler  :Embarrass: )

Haven't met him personally, alas.  He actually completely bailed on the Montreal convention I went to in April precisely because he knew myself and a few other people who loathed him would be there--this despite scheduling an event for some newbies that he was supposed to be teaching something.

He's a fuckhead on CSW all the time and acts like a child whenever anyone disagrees with him on anything.  It's quite bizarre to see him melt down.

I will ditto that Andy Lewis is a class-act and a fun guy to be around.  I think I've met Mark Miklos, but don't recall entirely.  Ted Raicer is a giant creep, makes bad games (BtB and POG being the exceptions) and said he was moving to Canada if Bush won reelection.  He now lives in Florida.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2011, 08:55:46 PM
I like Ty Bomba. There, I said it.

I'm the guy on BGG always bitching about wanting an Adam Starkweather microbadge.

And I consider Ed at COA a buddy.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 16, 2011, 10:25:09 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 16, 2011, 08:55:46 PM
I like Ty Bomba. There, I said it.

I'm the guy on BGG always bitching about wanting an Adam Starkweather microbadge.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 03:49:44 PM

I'm waiting for my copy of None But Heroes, which is MMP's new ACW regimental/battery-level system.   Combine that with the addition of new games as well as redoing the old ones in the GBACW system, I think those are the levels I prefer for the ACW.

You get it yet?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 17, 2011, 08:10:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 03:49:44 PM

I'm waiting for my copy of None But Heroes, which is MMP's new ACW regimental/battery-level system.   Combine that with the addition of new games as well as redoing the old ones in the GBACW system, I think those are the levels I prefer for the ACW.

You get it yet?

I went with Cool Stuff Inc, so it's waiting to come in from MMP.  Cheaper.  So I wait.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Yea, got WV, Ney v. Wellington, and In Their Quiet Fields II coming. I'll have to move around the Bowflex, Stat Bike, and Ellipitical down in the den/war room.

Tamas

In a fit of boardgame-nerdness, I ordered Conquest of Planet Earth and Battles of Westeros. My wallet is crying.

Also, yesterday I played Mansions of Madness. Fun, fun, fun!

11B4V

Ive been keeping my eye open for something I could get the old lady into. I just dont think Air War or TSS will be of much interest to her....... :lol:

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on June 20, 2011, 07:41:28 AM
Ive been keeping my eye open for something I could get the old lady into. I just dont think Air War or TSS will be of much interest to her....... :lol:

Might try POG, or some other card-driven game. 

Diplomacy would be a possibility, if you can get enough other people together.

Or, if you can already get her to play Risk, step her up to Axis and Allies.

Tamas

Euro games. There is a plenty, and a lot of them are actually decent for proper boardgamers to play, while casual-friendly.

Alternatively, find a game on a topic which strongly interests her. Like War of the Ring if she is into the whole Tolkien thing.

grumbler

Ed Wimble is a terrific guy and smart as hell.

I just wish I could get him to write down some of his stuff in longer form than designer notes.  Alas, his muse is for short, pithy stuff.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 10:29:07 AM
Ed Wimble is a terrific guy and smart as hell.

I just wish I could get him to write down some of his stuff in longer form than designer notes.  Alas, his muse is for short, pithy stuff.

lol, yeah.  Quite frankly, he strikes me as the kind of guy that has so much going on in his head, he doesn't have the time to put it all down.

11B4V