Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2011, 12:04:56 PM
Also, What's you alls opinions on two Civil War games;
Descion Games "War Between the States"???? An SPI monster copy???
or
Victory Games "The Civil War"

Decision Games came out with a WBTS 2nd Edition a few years ago, so they're available; you don't have to score an old SPI copy, since DC has the SPI rights.

I'm pretty sure everybody here will say VG's Civil War is the consensus pick.  Personally, I think it edges out WBTS as well, mainly because you can drill down and truly prioritize your actions on the specific theaters.  But WBTS has a production spiral and other kind of neato production and supply stuff.
I'll put VG's Civil War on the hit list for next month. I just ordered SPI/TSR's TSS and AGoB from noble knight. That will round out the Civil War for awhile.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

As much as burning the entire South in an orgasm of fire and death totally makes my nipples hard, I've always found it difficult to get into the strategic-level games;  smaller the units, the better.

I'm waiting for my copy of None But Heroes, which is MMP's new ACW regimental/battery-level system.   Combine that with the addition of new games as well as redoing the old ones in the GBACW system, I think those are the levels I prefer for the ACW.

Ed Anger

If you play VG's Civil War as the Union, insist on the Lyons/Jackson optional rule. Lyons able to command an army is much more useful than the South's benefit of yet another good army commander.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2011, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2011, 12:04:56 PM
Also, What's you alls opinions on two Civil War games;
Descion Games "War Between the States"???? An SPI monster copy???
or
Victory Games "The Civil War"

Decision Games came out with a WBTS 2nd Edition a few years ago, so they're available; you don't have to score an old SPI copy, since DC has the SPI rights.

I'm pretty sure everybody here will say VG's Civil War is the consensus pick.  Personally, I think it edges out WBTS as well, mainly because you can drill down and truly prioritize your actions on the specific theaters.  But WBTS has a production spiral and other kind of neato production and supply stuff.
I'll put VG's Civil War on the hit list for next month. I just ordered SPI/TSR's TSS and AGoB from noble knight. That will round out the Civil War for awhile.

As far as it goes, I'd recommend both "War Between the States" and "The Civil War", but if you are only going to get one of the two, "The Civil War" is the way to go.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 04, 2011, 05:10:09 PM
If you play VG's Civil War as the Union, insist on the Lyons/Jackson optional rule. Lyons able to command an army is much more useful than the South's benefit of yet another good army commander.

He's my hero :wub:  Lyons, that is.  Not Jackson.  I think I had ancestors who served under him in St. Louis.  When they fired into a pro-Confederate mob.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

I was searching around boardgamegeek trying to find, but not remembering a few obsure ziplock games I owned back in the early days. Played these so far back (1979). Even forgot the names of them. I know I played them, owned them, just couldnt remember the name or much about the game play. Probably too much of the sticky-icky back then. Finnaly pulled them up by visual recognition of their covers.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4245/asteroid-zero-four

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3160/holy-war

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3466/warpwar

Ordered Zero-four from trool and toad. The others for next month.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Ah, WarpWar. The game where every one of my ship designs were so shitty, I might as well not even bothered.

I think my Mom threw my copy away way back when.

Also, Decision should have WarpWar cheap, since they do Excalibre's(the dude that owns the rights) games

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 10:31:08 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 02, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Cant wait till they get here.

I got mine.  You get yours?
Got it today. Cracked open GD prior to leaving for work and grabbed the rule book. :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 07, 2011, 07:42:36 PM
Got it today. Cracked open GD prior to leaving for work and grabbed the rule book. :D

Should've grabbed 11 Pz's as well;  has some minor changes in red.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 07, 2011, 09:55:41 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 07, 2011, 07:42:36 PM

Should've grabbed 11 Pz's as well;  has some minor changes in red.

Did the first good read through of the rules to include 11th Pz. Very good , very good. I like what I see. Clean and straight forward. Some of the rules I'm impressed with are; Combined Arms Modifiers, Reorg, Maint/Med/Replacement rules,  Levels of Suppression, Combat Patrols, Counter Batt Fire, CAS, and The open type operations phase.

The supply rules (optional) IMO are overkill for the level of simulation. There is already C&C.

Stacking is kind of befuddling. It says: "Units can retreat through friendly units but not end the turn in the same hex in excess of stacking limits." It says nothing else. Are the retreating units eliminated if they do and can go nowhere else? Or is there a displacement rule? Where as the retreating unit displaces a non-retreating unit which is now supressed, beings that the non-retreating unit was displaced? Probably this is not a common occurence, more like a rare one....but then again Murpy's Law always strikes.

11B4V

TSS and Gleam of Baynets came in today. Along with Asteroid Zero-Four.

On the hunt for two others; Bitter End and SPI's Outreach. Let me know if anyone gets a line on one of these. If you dont mind.

Ed Anger

11B4V

Ed Anger

Fine Games might have it. If you can stand their weird ass online ordering.

Ed Anger

I know it is going to disappoint Seedy, but I bought Munchkin today.