News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I know this is board wargaming thread, but I had to share this. Been running various comp v. comp run throughs for past year.

Toaw III (Version new patch 3.4) :ultra:
A Mid Summer Dream (17th testing of version J )
Kusrk (South)
Comp v. Comp Turn 10
Afternoon 7 July '43
photo may be large, dont know with screen hunter
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The Germans appear to be in what we call "a pickle."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

I download a pdf of of Death Ride's game play. Looks very good. Cant wait till they get here.

II SS and III Panzer area.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on June 02, 2011, 10:28:55 PM
The Germans appear to be what we call "a pickle."

Yes it would appear so :yeahright:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 01, 2011, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 01, 2011, 10:36:01 PM
The games I have listed in my have owned and played that were SPI games were casualties. They got thrown away by my step-dad when I left home in '83. Nine years later, when the relationship got mended, I asked him about the games (not knowing he threw them away),  I just about punched him in the face. I loved the SPI "monster" games and I had "just a few" of them back then....lol

Ouch.

And good to see Flashpoint: Golan, Arab-Israeli Wars, Central America and Vietnam in your list.  Demonstrative of heightened intelligence.
Oh, and you're not the only person I've seen rave about Panzer Command.  Feel like I missed something there.
A qiuck overview of PC. I wish they would have expanded it.
http://ftp.grognard.com/reviews/panzcomm.txt

http://ftp.grognard.com/reviews1/panzerpc.txt

Razgovory

I dunno, some of those German units have some obscene attack and defense values.  Knowing TOAW they could probably herd a great deal of those Soviet Units into encirclements fairly easily.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

I've never really gotten into TOAW (primarily because my CD of TOAW III has a huge gash in it and I've never bothered to "pirate" the files needed to actually play it), but it seems like the Germans in the first pic are mostly surrounded.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 03, 2011, 12:26:24 AM

I dunno, some of those German units have some obscene attack and defense values.  Knowing TOAW they could probably herd a great deal of those Soviet Units into encirclements fairly easily.
Naw Habs is correct.
Not really insane, a lot of thing effect those factors

11B4V

Ed Anger

Newly ordered:

Compass- Proud Monster Deluxe(pre-order) and Yalu & Bataan!(why?)

Lock 'n Load- Summer Lightning and that Space Infantry game

Like I need more games.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2011, 06:38:23 PM
Newly ordered:

Compass- Proud Monster Deluxe(pre-order) and Yalu & Bataan!(why?)

Lock 'n Load- Summer Lightning and that Space Infantry game

Like I need more games.

LOL, waiting on my Infidel, Summer Lightning and None But Heroes myself.

I need more games.  But I don't know why.

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 04, 2011, 10:31:08 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 02, 2011, 10:29:16 PM
Cant wait till they get here.

I got mine.  You get yours?
Not yet. Should be anytime now.

Been looking at some TSR/SPI games;
Panzer Gruppe Guiderian
TSR Cobra
TSR Drive on Stalingrad
SPI Kharkov
The whloe GDW Assault series again

Also, What's you alls opinions on two Civil War games;
Descion Games "War Between the States"???? An SPI monster copy???
or
Victory Games "The Civil War"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 04, 2011, 12:04:56 PM
Also, What's you alls opinions on two Civil War games;
Descion Games "War Between the States"???? An SPI monster copy???
or
Victory Games "The Civil War"

Decision Games came out with a WBTS 2nd Edition a few years ago, so they're available; you don't have to score an old SPI copy, since DC has the SPI rights.

I'm pretty sure everybody here will say VG's Civil War is the consensus pick.  Personally, I think it edges out WBTS as well, mainly because you can drill down and truly prioritize your actions on the specific theaters.  But WBTS has a production spiral and other kind of neato production and supply stuff.