News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on February 07, 2018, 10:18:47 AM
I wouldn't want to play a game where the players weren't knowledgeable on how to win.  :huh:

A game where you draw a random card at the end to determine what the victory conditions were. SURPRISE! You won player 3!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

:rolleyes:

I mean familiar with how the game usually flows and how that relates to chances of victory for the individual players. e.g. "shall I concentrate on getting captains and ships for them or do I make sure I get nice offices" that kind of stuff.

Overall, I am hoping the the -probably- frequent negotiations required offset the worker placement mechanics. Because this is a worker placement game.

Habbaku

Not a pure worker placement game, but I get your point. From my understanding of the rules, if the players aren't frequently negotiating to build coalitions or hammer out exchanges between one-another, it's going to prove somewhat less interesting, sure.

But people not understanding some of a game's mechanisms is only a knock against the game if the rules are opaque about that aspect. John Company is, at least to me, rather overt about negotiation being part of the structure--it has the "Promises" system as a prominent part.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Played JoCo today. I want to play it again immediately, so that's a plus.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Arriving at the Wolf's Lair:

Red Star/White Star
South China Sea
Brezhnev's War
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 11, 2018, 08:31:52 PM

Red Star/White Star
South China Sea
Brezhnev's War

MechWar 2?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on February 11, 2018, 08:56:40 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 11, 2018, 08:31:52 PM

Red Star/White Star
South China Sea
Brezhnev's War

MechWar 2?

Russo-Polack war of 1920.

Delirium

Has anybody tried The Expanse - the board game? Just recently got into the tv series and read some interesting things about the game as well...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Recently played Merchants & Marauders, and everyone agreed that it was nice.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Delirium on February 12, 2018, 05:34:34 AM
Has anybody tried The Expanse - the board game? Just recently got into the tv series and read some interesting things about the game as well...

Negative, but I've heard good things about it, despite the pretty low quality of the pieces.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

That's what I heard too, some sort of mix between a multiplayer Twilight Struggle (which is good) and COIN (which is not) but with fairly low production value. Will need to try it.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

11B4V

Finally picked up a copy of Air & Armor.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

I started to inventory my games, thinking to list the on BGG as a refrence. But a look into a couple of tubs revealed 4 copies of Tito. I think they are breeding.

Yuk.

2 copies of Air War? Was I buzzed on painkillers when I was on eBay?

HARUMPH.

Why won't the NATO Division commander game multiply? It is worth money.

I haz a sad.

11B4V