News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Also, you've made me realize that legacy games seem to be fading away. I thoroughly enjoyed the pandemic games, but everything else I've tried felt a bit too gimmicky. 

Habbaku

The King's Dilemma managed to upset that trend for me. Highly recommended.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Darth Wagtaros

The King's Dilemma looks good.
PDH!

Habbaku

A Cyberboard module is out for Europa Universalis: The Price of Power:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/259908/europa-universalis-cyberboard-module

Who's up for a grand campaign PBEM?  :menace:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Got Pandemic Season 0 for my birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed 1 and 2 and really looking forward to this one. It remains my favorite Legacy game.

Habbaku

My group is on May of Season 0 at the moment for much the same reason. I don't particularly care for the Pandemic series' base gameplay, but the legacy components and extra challenges, combined with the storylines, make it a good bit of fun.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

And we're off to the races. First game about the Ukrainian war I have spotted.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1087-defiance-2nd-russo-ukrainian-war-2022.aspx

I feel I will only be able to play these games if/when the good guys win.

Habbaku

Ridiculous idea for a game considering the relative dearth of information and a ridiculous preview page, too. The text message chain might be the most self-aggrandizing thing I've seen someone post in relation to their own game design.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Tamas

I admit I mainly purchased Third World War Designer Signature Edition because it looked beautiful, but also it looked it might be fun to solo. Compass had a deal on it that even with shipping it'd be quite a bit cheaper than if I bought it in the UK, so I went for it.

I am actually quite enjoying it, it's an easy system if you are at least a semi-seasoned wargamer (no doubt TWW influenced later games) but has nuance to it. I don't want to think too much about realism, its supposed to be taking place in 1989 and its OOB was made before 1989 (there's an F19 unit the new edition include an F117 one to replace it with, though), but it seems alright if you accept the basic premise that 1989's Warsaw Pact could do a serious global punch for a few months before falling apart.

I don't think I'll play more than one-region scenarios in the next decade or so, but after all those were stand-alone games in the 80s and feel like ones.

It really feels like a 4-pack of Next War games, which is a good thing.

Darth Wagtaros

I have been given My Island and My City.

PDH!

bogh

I apparently backed Tanto Monda on the P500 a gazillion years ago and received it a while back. Haven't had a chance to play it and suspect I won't ever. It feels cumbersome and with too much chrome, where I was hoping for Here I Stand in a more focused and streamlined 4 player version.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: bogh on March 11, 2024, 02:00:39 AMI apparently backed Tanto Monda on the P500 a gazillion years ago and received it a while back. Haven't had a chance to play it and suspect I won't ever. It feels cumbersome and with too much chrome, where I was hoping for Here I Stand in a more focused and streamlined 4 player version.

I have a playtest credit for it and I don't think I will ever play the printed game. What an overburdened mess.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.