News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: 11B4V on April 28, 2022, 05:43:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2022, 06:41:37 AMI have wasted like 20 years of my life wargaming without a plexiglass cover over paper maps. OMG what a difference it makes, especially for double-map nightmares.

I'm trying this from amazon when I get time.

PVC Roll 2mm Thick 30 Inches Frosted Roll 3ft, Clear PVC Sheet, Clear Table Cover Protector, Desk Mat Pad, Plastic Table Cover for Restaurants, PVC Floor Mat

Interesting, if it works out I guess a roll must be much easier to store.

celedhring

Tamas, what was that WWII air war game you spoke about some time ago? A friend of mine was looking for game recommendations with that setting.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2022, 03:03:13 PMTamas, what was that WWII air war game you spoke about some time ago? A friend of mine was looking for game recommendations with that setting.

Which one? There's the most excellent solitaire game RAF (technically there's a 2 player mode but who cares).

I also have Wing Leader which is more of a tactical game, also nice, but you have to be a fan of tactical WW2 air stuff I Think.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 01, 2022, 03:16:25 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 01, 2022, 03:03:13 PMTamas, what was that WWII air war game you spoke about some time ago? A friend of mine was looking for game recommendations with that setting.

Which one? There's the most excellent solitaire game RAF (technically there's a 2 player mode but who cares).

I also have Wing Leader which is more of a tactical game, also nice, but you have to be a fan of tactical WW2 air stuff I Think.

I was thinking of RAF indeed, he likes to play solitaires. I see it's a bit old, wonder if he'll be able to hunt down a copy.

Incidentally, I have Wing Leader too. One of those "never went past reading the rulebook and watching the pretty components" games.

Tamas

There's a RAF Deluxe Edition which is fairly recent (and pricey). 4th edition is the latest I think, have him hunt that down, I bought mine from a store a few months ago. Compared to the original (which I also own, but it's way too 80s when it comes to component quality) it has a German variant (haven't played it) and a 2 players variant.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2022, 03:33:38 AM(which I also own, but it's way too 80s when it comes to component quality)

So much intolerance.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2022, 09:03:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 02, 2022, 03:33:38 AM(which I also own, but it's way too 80s when it comes to component quality)

So much intolerance.

It is a realisation I have had to make: eye candy and the playing with physical toys is part of the boardgame appeal. (still not big on minis though).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on May 05, 2022, 10:12:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2022, 09:03:11 AM

So much intolerance.

It is a realisation I have had to make: eye candy and the playing with physical toys is part of the boardgame appeal. (still not big on minis though).

OK, I'll admit...West End Games didn't exactly have the best maps.  Those glossy fold-ups were atrocious.

celedhring

I will say that after never using them in 25+ years of playing pen-and-paper RPGs, I started using minis last year and I can't look back.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2022, 10:39:02 AMI will say that after never using them in 25+ years of playing pen-and-paper RPGs, I started using minis last year and I can't look back.

What systems do you play?

I love minis - and have played with minis in RPGs on and off for a couple of decades - but recently I've been playing mostly without and enjoying that. IMO there are pros and cons for both :)

crazy canuck

I like using a combination. Both have third place. When I used to DM I used to like moving narrative stories along which included action and hat could be described and the mix in set pieces with minis to let the players flex their tactics.

CountDeMoney

I like the concept of miniatures--especially naval minis, which would probably be the only one I could ever get into--but definitely on the tactical/melee level, say 28mm to 32mm.

I definitely appreciate the work people put into them, however (Jake, the Brain).  I mean, seriously...do I strike you as the kind of guy that can sit and paint?

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2022, 12:40:43 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 05, 2022, 10:39:02 AMI will say that after never using them in 25+ years of playing pen-and-paper RPGs, I started using minis last year and I can't look back.

What systems do you play?

I love minis - and have played with minis in RPGs on and off for a couple of decades - but recently I've been playing mostly without and enjoying that. IMO there are pros and cons for both :)

Right now we're running a D&D campaign, but we've played many systems throughout the years, really (All D&D incarnations since AD&D, Rune Quest, MERP, all Star Wars RPGs, etc...). We always used to do either Theater of the Mind or crude pencil maps "you're here, the beasties are over there". We started using minis for this campaign and found that it forces us into a tactical mindset (even though D&D isn't the deepest tactical game) that we enjoy. As you say, everything has its pros/cons.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2022, 07:37:57 PMI like the concept of miniatures--especially naval minis, which would probably be the only one I could ever get into--but definitely on the tactical/melee level, say 28mm to 32mm.

I definitely appreciate the work people put into them, however (Jake, the Brain).  I mean, seriously...do I strike you as the kind of guy that can sit and paint?

Yeah...

I'm not the most prolific painter at all. I find I get the most done during dreary zoom meetings and when I'm seriously procrastinating something else.

11B4V

I have now re acquired all the old SPI game favorites except one;

Objective Moscow.

Fucking ridiculous $$$
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".