News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

My hilarious humour aside, how we'd even do this then? Struggle around with Tabletop Simulator?

Habbaku

Mostly by using the 3rd edition's Vassal module instead.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

BTW this guy made an absolutely excellent 3-part series teaching the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afMAknpZSbw

Barrister

Let's talk about Monopoly.

The kids wanted to play, so we sat down and started playing a six player game.

You know, Monopoly is not really a very good game, is it.  It's very very long - it took us most of the afternoon to play.  We had to keep focusing the kids attention back to the board (though they absolutely wanted to keep playing).  It's also incredibly dice-dependant.  I could tell my youngest kid was going to lose from the first half hour because he was never landing on any property he could buy.  And in a game with a lot of players it was really hard to get any colour sets, which dragged out play as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Did you play with the auctioning off of unpurchased properties?

Did you give cash out for Free Parking?

But yes. Monopoly is a horrid game, but people that talk about it being "very very long" typically do/don't do things that drag it out even further.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Why did they want to play monopoly?

(Suggestions for family board game that can be played with 6: Ticket to Ride, Colt Express, Camel Up, Cash and Guns)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 28, 2022, 04:45:45 PMWhy did they want to play monopoly?

(Suggestions for family board game that can be played with 6: Ticket to Ride, Colt Express, Camel Up, Cash and Guns)

All excellent examples, except TTR which only seats 5.  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Recommend both Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan for playing with the kids.

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2022, 12:19:22 PMDid you play with the auctioning off of unpurchased properties?

Did you give cash out for Free Parking?

But yes. Monopoly is a horrid game, but people that talk about it being "very very long" typically do/don't do things that drag it out even further.

I managed to convince them NOT to put any fines or taxes under Free Parking, but wasn't able to convince them to auction off properties.

We had one of our players leave, so we decided to just auction of his properties - that did speed thing up a bit.

I dunno - the kids just said they wanted to play Monopoly.  Really should try them on Settlers of Catan.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Without auctions, you're practically guaranteeing the game lasts forever, even without the infusion of cash from Free Parking. If they want to do it again, try it with auctioning and see how quickly people go bust.  :D

I'm not sure I'd steer kids towards Settlers, but you'd know better whether they can handle the added intricacy of negotiating trade deals.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2022, 04:55:23 PMAll excellent examples, except TTR which only seats 5.  :P

I believe there's an expansion or two that allow for six players.
Que le grand cric me croque !

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2022, 05:26:11 PMWithout auctions, you're practically guaranteeing the game lasts forever, even without the infusion of cash from Free Parking. If they want to do it again, try it with auctioning and see how quickly people go bust.  :D

I'm not sure I'd steer kids towards Settlers, but you'd know better whether they can handle the added intricacy of negotiating trade deals.

The trading mechanic in Settlers is pretty basic.  Even adults can get it.  :D

Jacob

... and if not, there's a kid's Settlers of Catan that's even simpler.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 29, 2022, 02:34:19 AMDiplomacy.  :contract:

A game which requires backstabbing is not really a family friendly game.