And we're back!

Main Menu

Lady Gaga gets bitchy, snubs Weird Al

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 20, 2011, 06:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2011, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 06:52:41 PM
I'm old enough to remember Madonna. I think Lady Gaga has a better voice autotuner.
:)
I think she sounds even better live than recorded.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2011, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 06:52:41 PM
I'm old enough to remember Madonna. I think Lady Gaga has a better voice autotuner.
:)

It's become hard to tell whether people are using the autotune because they need it or because they just want to sound like Rihanna. It's part fad.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 07:02:06 PM

Doesn't mean it's not autotuned.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 20, 2011, 07:03:14 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 07:02:06 PM

Doesn't mean it's not autotuned.
Maybe I don't understand what autotuned means? :unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2011, 07:04:05 PM
Maybe I don't understand what autotuned means? :unsure:

I wouldn't be surprised, but I don't think Cal does, either.  Autotuning isn't the same as "pitch correction" (which, 9 times out of 10, doesn't work).  It's basically a more sophisticated cousin to vocoding.  With both autotuning and vocoding, you would play a similar melody to the vocal line on a synth or some other instrument, but while vocoding blends the carrier and mod waveforms, autotuning drops the carrier and just applies the pitch to the mod- usually, it means you're hearing keyboard notes from a human voice.

Madonna hasn't actually been autotuning all that long- the first time I heard her do it was when she did the opening song for that abomination of a James Bond movie, Die Another Day.
Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

Can anyone here repeat Bananarama's post in English?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 08:10:20 PM

TRANSLATION: "Autotuning" isn't a magic "sing on key" button, as some people seem to believe.  I don't know of any production techniques that will "fix" noticeably flat vocals without sounding really electronic.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2011, 08:10:20 PM
Nice to know I wasn't the only one who was confused by that.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2011, 09:02:31 PM
Who listens to Weird Al these days? :huh:

Likely people in the future when he releases more parodies, long after Gaga ODs on cocaine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2011, 09:06:31 PM

Likely people in the future when he releases more parodies, long after Gaga ODs on cocaine.

Oh just found out his last album was 5 years ago. So it turns out that no one has been listening to him. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Gaga's pretty all right, with a fair number of great songs, which makes her a standout in the anemic wasteland of current popular music.  Her persona and some of her songs highly reminiscent of Madonna, of course, but it strikes me as intentional homage, and even if you do want to characterize her act as a ripoff, at least it's a ripoff of talent rather than being originally terrible.

(Bad Romance is, of course, a simply spectacular song.)

Of course, she go fuck herself with a loaded firearm for wearing a meat dress.  So very uncool.

Also, Yankovic is usually very funny, with a fantastic back catalogue of songs that are admittedly cheap but either simply funny or, as in the case of "Perform This Way," rather decent satire.  He also seems like a really great guy.  Finally, his RiffTrax of Jurassic Park with Mike Nelson was hilarious.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

He's done some of his best material in the last decade. White & Nerdy and Craigslist were fucking brilliant. 

EDIT: Craigslist was released after his last album in 2009.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2011, 09:09:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2011, 09:06:31 PM

Oh just found out his last album was 5 years ago. So it turns out that no one has been listening to him. :D

I listen to his polka medleys when I need cheering up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 20, 2011, 09:11:25 PM
Of course, she go fuck herself with a loaded firearm for wearing a meat dress.  So very uncool.

^ This is why that was funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?