RIAA sues LimeWire for $75,000,000,000,000

Started by Syt, April 17, 2011, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 17, 2011, 05:22:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 17, 2011, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: szmik on April 17, 2011, 03:24:29 PM
Good showing that all those "damages" are taken out of thin air.  :D

Actually the opposite.  The requested damages were derived by a formula.
When the formula returns a demand that is greater than the GDP of the Earth that formula is irretrievably broken.

One advantage of not cropping quotes is it lets you see the statement I was responding to.   :)

Josquius

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2011, 04:43:30 PM
How could we make limewire and the likes legal?

I'm really tired of the record industry and their greed.
We are in the internet era. No fucking way I am going to buy a CD.
I think we should abandon the album formatt completely.

http://www.spotify.com/
██████
██████
██████

Fireblade

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 11:30:47 AM
If they had to pay 1% of this as a court fee (which is forfeited if they lose) they wouldn't come up with ridiculous stuff like that. American judicial system = broken.

I'm glad that some is willing to stand up and extol the virtues of the Polish legal system.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

There are other tools out there smiliar to Limewire that still work (e.g. Frostwire)... or so I've heard. :shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Zeus

I don't know why they'd bother to shut down Limewire. Another program that works exactly like it will, if not already, crop up and be able to be used by the masses. Besides, other programs, such as Napster (is that still around?) and, like Caliga said, Frostwire. Seems to be a waste of judicial time and expenses.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Faeelin

Quote from: Zeus on April 18, 2011, 07:08:43 AM
I don't know why they'd bother to shut down Limewire. Another program that works exactly like it will, if not already, crop up and be able to be used by the masses. Besides, other programs, such as Napster (is that still around?) and, like Caliga said, Frostwire. Seems to be a waste of judicial time and expenses.

By that logic should we not prosecute shoplifters? That's been going on since there were stores. Clearly these actions hae some deterrent effect, even if it's now clear how great it is.

Neil

Quote from: Zeus on April 18, 2011, 07:08:43 AM
If you don't protect your copyrights, stuff might slip into public domain.  It seems that public domain is bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2011, 07:15:38 AM
Poor people and their piracy. Tsk tsk

Actually I think rich people like to steal as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2011, 11:30:47 AM
If they had to pay 1% of this as a court fee (which is forfeited if they lose) they wouldn't come up with ridiculous stuff like that.

Read more carefully.
RIAA already won the case in summary judgment.  The ruling referred to in the OP was in connection with a separate trial on damages.  So a loser pays rule would not deter this as the RIAA already won.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

What a way to add legitimacy to your claim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on April 19, 2011, 04:45:17 PM
What a way to add legitimacy to your claim.

Does not seem to have hurt RIAA.  Shortly after this ruling (which was last month BTW), LimeWire made a couple more motions to limit damages: one to limit damages to per album infiringement rather than per song, and another to block recovery against LimeWire where the RIAA members already successfully sued the individual making the downloads.  Lime Wire lost both motions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on April 18, 2011, 11:43:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2011, 07:15:38 AM
Poor people and their piracy. Tsk tsk

Actually I think rich people like to steal as well.

If anything, they like it far more.