Windows OEM and new mobo

Started by Norgy, April 15, 2011, 02:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Has anyone tried using an OEM license that was purchased and used on a self-build on a new build after that?

If so, did it work?

:ph34r:

Grey Fox

Yes.

You might have to call MS automated line & say "one" when ask but it works.

If it's exactly the same model, it should go thru without trouble.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2011, 02:52:19 PM
Has anyone tried using an OEM license that was purchased and used on a self-build on a new build after that?

If so, did it work?

:ph34r:
There's no physical difference between an OEM release and a retail one.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

I know, but the license is different, so there's the activation process. And when it reports me as suddenly having a p67 instead of an x58, I expect the leprechauns of Ireland to throw a fit.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2011, 04:26:43 AM
I know, but the license is different, so there's the activation process. And when it reports me as suddenly having a p67 instead of an x58, I expect the leprechauns of Ireland to throw a fit.

Its been a while since you originally registered it, hasn't it?  MS modified the activation process on the OEM versions some years ago to allow OEM versions to reactivate automatically after hardware changes, provided some number of years had passed since the prior activation.

viper37

Quote from: Norgy on April 17, 2011, 04:26:43 AM

As we said, there is no difference between OEM and retail.  There is no worries about installing it to another PC, it will work.  Maybe you'll have to call M$ to activate it, but it's an automated system and you just say you have it installed on 1 computer, wich is the truth.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Thanks. The Windows forums were rather in disagreement, and claimed I needed a new OEM license.

I guess I will have two desktops at home soon. Networked.  :bowler: