News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stupid DVD RW!

Started by Norgy, April 03, 2011, 12:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

Samsung, love them or loathe them, make some good products. Their CD/DVD writer SH-S223L is not among them.

After a while Windows no longer wants to be friends with it, its firmware can't tell me if it still exists and on POST, my motherboards spends 30 seconds mulling over what to tell me about what I have hooked up to SATA number 4.

I am going to try a novel approach and uninstall the Windows driver for it and see if they can reconnect and rekindle their love. Not to mention my love for games I have on DVD.

Any other ideas?

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on April 03, 2011, 12:26:34 PM
Samsung, love them or loathe them, make some good products. Their CD/DVD writer SH-S223L is not among them.

After a while Windows no longer wants to be friends with it, its firmware can't tell me if it still exists and on POST, my motherboards spends 30 seconds mulling over what to tell me about what I have hooked up to SATA number 4.

I am going to try a novel approach and uninstall the Windows driver for it and see if they can reconnect and rekindle their love. Not to mention my love for games I have on DVD.

Any other ideas?
Can you connect it to a different power cable?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Buy a new one. LG maybe, its 20 $
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

The Marvell mv91xx driver is the culprit and the source of all my problems. Note to self: Don't buy into Marvell's 6 GB SATA nonsense.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 04, 2011, 06:12:37 AM
Buy a new one. LG maybe, its 20 $

That is usually my solution.  I had the best luck with optical drives up until about 2-3 years ago.  Now they've almost become a disposable product with a 1 to 2 year lifespan if I'm lucky.  Thankfully they're cheap.  The Microcenter nearby usually has OEM drives for $20-$25.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall