50 Years Ago Today - First Man In Space - Yuri Gagarin

Started by jamesww, April 12, 2011, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2011, 01:00:20 PM
One might speculate if he was the first man in space, or just the first man who made it back alive. Soviet safety = not particularly nanny-statish.

No shit.  They totally beat us at the Dead Dogs In Space Gap.

Norgy

Quote from: jamesww on April 13, 2011, 03:57:59 PM

But doesn't the evidence show that more Americans have died in space craft launch and return than Russians ?  Or are you going to go all Seigy on me about hidden space race 'facts'.  :P

One thing Americans really can't be faulted for is not having a free press. Which basically means you couldn't hide such a huge thing as dead astronauts very long. The Soviets did not have a nosy press or general accountability. And somehow, the gap between "We put a man in orbit" and "We can't make a decent consumer car to save our lives and our airliners offer little or no seating" is a bit too huge for me to entirely trust that Gagarin's orbit was the first one attempted.

On the other hand, training astronauts is expensive in terms of time and resources, so perhaps the Soviets would be less inclined to sacrifice them.

Anyway, like I said, it's speculation. And I'd prefer not be lumped along Siegy when it comes to perceptions.

Siege

Fuck you, Norgy!

I don't want to be lumped (whatever that means) with you, faggot!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jamesww

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2011, 02:49:24 PM
Quote from: jamesww on April 13, 2011, 03:57:59 PM

But doesn't the evidence show that more Americans have died in space craft launch and return than Russians ?  Or are you going to go all Seigy on me about hidden space race 'facts'.  :P

One thing Americans really can't be faulted for is not having a free press. Which basically means you couldn't hide such a huge thing as dead astronauts very long. The Soviets did not have a nosy press or general accountability. And somehow, the gap between "We put a man in orbit" and "We can't make a decent consumer car to save our lives and our airliners offer little or no seating" is a bit too huge for me to entirely trust that Gagarin's orbit was the first one attempted.

On the other hand, training astronauts is expensive in terms of time and resources, so perhaps the Soviets would be less inclined to sacrifice them.

Anyway, like I said, it's speculation. And I'd prefer not be lumped along Siegy when it comes to perceptions.

But there's an enormous amount of archive information about the soviet space programs now out there. 

In essence you're saying to me "you cannot prove there weren't hidden deaths in the soviet space program", whereas I think the onus is on you to provide details rather than just general speculation about the quality of soviet consumer vehicles.

Funny how you took a pop at me a couple of months back, and I just laughed it off, but when I compare you to an aspect of Seigy's character, namely, his well known space history skepticism, you don't see the funny side.  :hmm:

Siege

jamesww

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:17:39 PM
Mongers, fuck you too!

:lol:

No Seigy, I was just referencing you Apollo moon mission skepticism, nothing else. :miller lite:

Siege

Quote from: jamesww on April 15, 2011, 03:18:37 PM
Mongers, fuck you too!

No Seigy, I was just referencing you Apollo moon mission skepticism, nothing else. :miller lite:

If you were paying close attention you would know that I conceded some time ago that the apollo missions appear to be kosher, after watching the mythbuster's show in which they roll over the conspiracy theorists.

Which I should mention, is also proof of the quality of my character, since I am willing to concede I am wrong when it appears to me that such is the case, unlike certain people in this forum who do not accept the wrongness of the unattainable positions they defend.

jamesww

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:31:38 PM
Mongers, fuck you too!

If you were paying close attention you would know that I conceded some time ago that the apollo missions appear to be kosher, after watching the mythbuster's show in which they roll over the conspiracy theorists.

Which I should mention, is also proof of the quality of my character, since I am willing to concede I am wrong when it appears to me that such is the case, unlike certain people in this forum who do not accept the wrongness of the unattainable positions they defend.

I stand correct, and given what you've said, what on earth are you doing on Languish ?

Here you're supposed to defend untenable position till the death.  :P

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:31:38 PM
Mongers, fuck you too!

And yet you won't change your position on one issue where you are most clearly and utterly wrong, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Bacon. :mmm:

Siege

Fuck you mongers!
Are you critizing my spelling or my choice of words?
You are subtle, but I can read your black heart like an open book or an unsecured e-mail.

jamesww

Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:54:53 PM
Fuck you mongers!
You are subtle, but I can read your black heart like an open book or an unsecured e-mail.

:blink:

Man, that's just crazy talk, have you not read any of my posts over the years ?
The idea I'd criticize anyone for spelling or grammatical errors is weird, I do after all live in a greenhouse.    :cool:

Siege

Quote from: jamesww on April 15, 2011, 04:07:04 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 15, 2011, 03:54:53 PM
Fuck you mongers!

:blink:

Man, that's just crazy talk, have you not read any of my posts over the years ?
The idea I'd criticize anyone for spelling or grammatical errors is weird, I do after all live in a greenhouse.    :cool:

Im sorry. I am a little paranoid these days.