Cloud printing or printing a distant network

Started by viper37, August 23, 2011, 01:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I was searching for a low cost (i.e. free ;) ) solution to print to a (future) distant printer.

One way for me to send documents (e-mail, notes, phone messages, PDF, Excel, Word) to a printer that would be connected to the router in my father's home office (the smoker area where non smokers and little children are not admitted ;) ).  A way for me to avoid printing documents here and getting them there (even tough it's only a few hundred meters, it gets annoying and it's bad for my health to enter his office while breathing).

I need something simple so that I can get him the documents, he doesn't use a computer, so I can't forward the e-mails to his girlfriend.

I was looking at Google Cloud, but despite what the documentation leads you to believe, it only works with Google Docs and Google Chrome.

I saw expensive (1000s of dollars) network printing solution, but I'll walk through rain&snow storms before shelling that much money ;)

There's got to be a way for me to connect a wireless printer to the router in his home and send documents directly over there.  Something free, web based, anything, really...  ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 01:49:24 PM
There's got to be a way for me to connect a wireless printer to the router in his home and send documents directly over there.  Something free, web based, anything, really...  ?

What's the problem - that his wireless printer that is a few hundred meters away is still far enough that it's a separate network?

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on August 23, 2011, 03:35:00 PM
What's the problem - that his wireless printer that is a few hundred meters away is still far enough that it's a separate network?
His house is too far away to be on my own office network, even with an 802.11n network, his girlfriend's computer does not see my network.  I can barely get a connection from accross the house anyway.

So, he has his own internet connection in there.  He barely ever comes to the office because he's a smoker and I don't allow anyone to smoke inside since I bought the house.  So, he's got his own office where he can smoke.

Problem is, I need to send him messages, or documents from time to time.  I have to print them here and walk/drive over there to give him the documents, or phone him to give him his messages.
I find that annoying, I often happen to go at a time where he's dining or sleeping or smoking.  And I need my asthma medication everytime I walk into his office.  Yurk.

So, I'd like to buy an HP ink-jet wireless printer wich I will set in his office.  Everyday, I'll print the messages&documents I need to give him on his printer.

But to do this, I need some software that will let me print, from any application, to his own (future) wireless printer.
Google Cloud Printing only works with Chrome and Google Docs, so I need something else.

If I can't find something free, or nearly free, I'll simply keep on walking over there.  But I'd prefer another solution to avoid wasting time.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2011, 08:34:59 PM
If I can't find something free, or nearly free, I'll simply keep on walking over there.  But I'd prefer another solution to avoid wasting time.

Looks like $20 to remove ads or $0 with ads:
http://www.printershare.com/

viper37

Looks great! Will try with the ads first, thanks :)

Arvoreen

If you each have your own internet connection and local LAN, why not just bridge them with a VPN tunnel?  Then you can add his printer and send them as if it was local.

viper37

I don't know how to do that... are there softwares, free softwares, that makes this easy to do?

Arvoreen

viper37

I had that on my laptop... hmm... will try again.

Arvoreen

You would need to set it up on your dad's computer, and then create a network that both of you can be logged onto.  If you then allow sharing of the printer over that network, you should be all set.

viper37

Yes, I know that part.  Only problem is the laptop won't be always on.
I'll figure a way, thanks :)