Is it wrong to train your neighbors' dogs without them knowing?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 11, 2011, 11:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it wrong to train your neighbors' dogs without them knowing?

Yes
5 (20%)
No
17 (68%)
Should have fed them antifreeze and razor blades
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Maximus

Quote from: KRonn on April 11, 2011, 02:22:20 PM
Humans can hear them? If so and it causes a problem for people, I won't use it. I have some inner ear problems and don't want to mess around.   :huh:
I have this sense like really bad tinnitus when I'm near them. If it doesn't bother you, rock on. I don't plan to be in your garden any time soon.

Martinus

Personally don't see anything wrong with it, but, as is the case with beating your neighbours' kids, some control freaks may have a problem with it.

KRonn

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2011, 02:26:02 PM
Humans can hear them? If so and it causes a problem for people, I won't use it. I have some inner ear problems and don't want to mess around.   :huh:
I have this sense like really bad tinnitus when I'm near them. If it doesn't bother you, rock on. I don't plan to be in your garden any time soon.
I've been hit with Tinnitus for the past five months or so. That's what I was wondering; I don't want to do anything that will aggravate that.

KRonn

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2011, 02:26:02 PM
Some sonic repellents are adjustable depending on what critters being targeted. I did read that to repel deer the sound used might be heard by humans too. That might be why you hear it, don't know.

Ed Anger

At least you didn't use the old Harlan county way of dealing with noisy dogs. Ground up glass in a ball of meat.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Josquius

Sounds interesting, I need to figure a way to make my dog shut up.

Don't think thats illegal no, you're just making a noise on your property, the dog next door just happens to hear it.
██████
██████
██████

Maximus

Quote from: KRonn on April 11, 2011, 03:21:53 PM
Some sonic repellents are adjustable depending on what critters being targeted. I did read that to repel deer the sound used might be heard by humans too. That might be why you hear it, don't know.
The ones I've heard were for repelling rodents.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

it would be nice, but the range is insufficient at 15'.  I'd need something closer to 100ft for the neighbour's dog.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
God I hate those things. Silent to humans my ass.
Humans can hear them? If so and it causes a problem for people, I won't use it. I have some inner ear problems and don't want to mess around.   :huh:

I forget which product it was, but there was one that came out a few years ago that was every bit as painful for human ears as it was for animals'. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on April 12, 2011, 12:52:19 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 11, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
God I hate those things. Silent to humans my ass.

I forget which product it was, but there was one that came out a few years ago that was every bit as painful for human ears as it was for animals'.
That's no good....    :huh:

viper37

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 11, 2011, 11:39:40 AM
Several months ago, some people finally bought the house next door, which had been sitting empty for a long time. Probably half the houses on my street have been vacant for a while because they are in that price range where the subprime people could buy them if they stretched their budgets and got a 5 year ARM back in 2005. I, however, deliberately bought less house than I could afford back then, with a 30 year fixed, and my household income has gone up 50% since then. So it's been a wonderfully lonely street for a while. The house on the other side is a rental that's also been vacant for some time.

Anyway, the new neighbors seem like nice people. Kinda young. The dude complements my OSU flag when I fly it on Saturdays in the fall. One of their fathers (the girl's I think) came to stay there for a few weeks when they first moved in and made a bunch of improvements. So overall, they seem fine.

But their dogs won't shut the fuck up. Two little yappy motherfuckers. Every time I open my own door it sets them off. God forbid I decide to let my cat go in the back yard for a while. It was unending torment. Until my wife bought a Dazer.

http://www.amazon.com/DAZER-II-Ultrasonic-Dog-Deterrent/dp/B000E7KVQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302539501&sr=8-1

It's basically a directional hypersonic sound emitter that works like a dog whistle. We keep it next to the door, and when the dogs bark, point it their way and let 'er rip. Been doing this for about two months now, and it's completely worked. If the dogs start barking, we don't even have to use the thing anymore. If they hear our door open, they shut up.

oh, btw, it's not wrong if you don't harm the dogs :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.