Teaching the Civil War, 150 Years Later...THE MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, April 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2011, 05:32:54 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 04:50:36 PM
Incidentally I've been playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg! recently.  Playing a random scenario I captured every Rebel regiment but one, and all the batteries but one.  Admittedly I did outnumber the enemy two to one in infantry and something like four to one in artillery.

I'm thinking of digging AGEOD's Civil War out and playing the crackers. mew.

I gave that game a try, but quit in disgust.  The tutorials are woefully inadequate.  I spent hours trying to form my brigades into divisions, but apparently you can only do that at some arbitrary point in the war.  It didn't help that the Confederate army inevitably ends up fighting on the border of Canada.  They don't seem to care that I besiege Richmond.  No, they are far to busy in raiding Buffalo.  Because my generals can't organize into Divisions or Corps or anything they inevitable fight at about 1% efficiency.  That got old fast.  Also with so many retard generals in the Union camp I can really sympathize with Stalin.

Finally, my PC did not like the game at all.  Vista is a bitch, and she hates AGEOD.  The WWI game tired ran even worse, despite the fact it's suppose to be older.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

This makes me sad we never got our Languish Gettysburg game off the ground.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 06:08:03 PM
Incidentally I've been playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg! recently.  Playing a random scenario I captured every Rebel regiment but one, and all the batteries but one.  Admittedly I did outnumber the enemy two to one in infantry and something like four to one in artillery.

I gave that game a try, but quit in disgust.  The tutorials are woefully inadequate.  I spent hours trying to form my brigades into divisions, but apparently you can only do that at some arbitrary point in the war.  It didn't help that the Confederate army inevitably ends up fighting on the border of Canada.  They don't seem to care that I besiege Richmond.  No, they are far to busy in raiding Buffalo.  Because my generals can't organize into Divisions or Corps or anything they inevitable fight at about 1% efficiency.  That got old fast.  Also with so many retard generals in the Union camp I can really sympathize with Stalin.

Finally, my PC did not like the game at all.  Vista is a bitch, and she hates AGEOD.  The WWI game tired ran even worse, despite the fact it's suppose to be older.

Problem is, the Matrix Civil war games are shit. The Grisby game turns into forts across America and the other one makes my eyes bleed. So there isn't much to choose from.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2011, 06:16:22 PM
So there isn't much to choose from.

There is, but it's all paper and cardboard.  You'd actually have to do your own thinking for a change instead of loading World of Warcracker on your hard drive.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 06:18:15 PM
So there isn't much to choose from.

There is, but it's all paper and cardboard.  You'd actually have to do your own thinking for a change instead of loading World of Warcracker on your hard drive.

Victory Games The Civil War:)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 06:08:03 PM

Problem is, the Matrix Civil war games are shit. The Grisby game turns into forts across America and the other one makes my eyes bleed. So there isn't much to choose from.

Yeah, I feel ya.  Everything I buy from Matrix they charge me for it twice.  So I have to call the bank to get them to sort it out.  After that happened twice, I gave up.  Fuck Matrix.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2011, 06:15:17 PM

So many people to blame that aren't me...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 12, 2011, 06:23:28 PM
Victory Games The Civil War:)
:cool:

The Far West theatre was OSSUM.  "I burn Dallas with the Comanche unit." :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 12, 2011, 08:18:34 PM

Oh, you are pretty high on the list. We were supposed to start that Round Top scenario to work out the system. I don't think I ever got a setup back from you. Which did not bode well for a huge ass CG.

Although really, GB at the regimental scale is pretty silly. We need to use CWBS for it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

I've never liked the Civil War all that much.  One side was obviously terrible and tremendously stupid, yet without the elan, aircraft carriers or really interestingly atrocities of an Imperial Japan.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2011, 10:47:38 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 12, 2011, 08:18:34 PM

Oh, you are pretty high on the list. We were supposed to start that Round Top scenario to work out the system. I don't think I ever got a setup back from you. Which did not bode well for a huge ass CG.

I think you have a very poor memory of what actually happened.  We managed to snag Kleves, Delirium and a couple of other people into our game only to have me send out my setup, have you say you'd send your own setup "shortly", have three days pass, then have Del quit.  After that, it was pretty much over.

Now that I recall, even Hortlund was there to take a dump in the Confederate HQ thread.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on April 12, 2011, 11:00:44 PM
I've never liked the Civil War all that much.  One side was obviously terrible and tremendously stupid, yet without the elan, aircraft carriers or really interestingly atrocities of an Imperial Japan.

:huh:  The Union had plenty of atrocities during the Reconstruction period.  The rest of your charges against them hold up well, though.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

I guess they're interesting in that they were likely all well-deserved.

And there was Sherman, he was cool; but burning cities just doesn't do it for me unless Lancasters are silhouetted against the flames. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Why is it that when I read any of our many ACW threads, I still see us around that miniature at the GB visitor center. Same arguments back then too. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom