News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do Narcissists Know They Are Narcissists?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 06, 2011, 10:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on April 07, 2011, 03:19:20 PM
I think I'm liked by most people.

Languish must be dieing.  Nobody made a quip about this.   :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

I like to be a center of attention and react badly to criticism.

There is a shocker. An attention whoring fruit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2011, 06:07:03 PM
I like to be a center of attention and react badly to criticism.

There is a shocker. An attention whoring fruit.

I just want people to leave me the fuck alone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

I do notice that narcissists seem to have a better than average chance of making senior management. 

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on April 07, 2011, 08:52:18 PM
Define narcissistsim.

The narcissist is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity. [2] Narcissistic personality disorder is closely linked to self-centeredness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Siege

Ah, that.

I really dislike people like that.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Monoriu

Quote from: Siege on April 07, 2011, 08:55:58 PM
Ah, that.

Me too.  BUT

They expect others to do the day-to-day chores as they feel too important to waste their time on common things.
They very rarely talk about their inner life - for example their memories and dreams.
There tends to be a higher level of stress with people who work with or interact with a narcissist, which in turn increases absenteeism and staff turnover.
They feel that rules at work don't apply to them.
Their sense of self-importance and lack of empathy means that they will often interrupt the conversation of others.
They get impatient and restless when the topic of conversation is about someone else, and not about them.
They constantly use "I", "me" and "my" when they talk.
If you share the workload with them, expect to do the lion's share yourself.
They lack empathy and this colours everything they do.
They love to delegate work, and then interfere by micromanaging it. If it goes well they take the credit (plagiarism); if it goes badly, they blame the person they delegated it to.
Blame others for their actions and misfortunes.
During a conversation, no matter what topic is being discussed, they usually end up talking about themselves.
They will always cheat whenever they think they will get away with it.
Virtually all their ideas or ways of behaving in a given situation are taken from others (mirroring).[21]

After going through the above list, I think I am sometimes guilty as well  :blush:

Eddie Teach

What if you're a self-centered person with low self-image?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2011, 10:35:09 PM
What if you're a self-centered person with low self-image?  :hmm:

That's histrionic. I often think I have this disorder (in a mild form, mind you, not the full blown one that makes you unable to function), not the narcissistic one.

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 07, 2011, 09:01:25 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 07, 2011, 08:55:58 PM
Ah, that.

Me too.  BUT

They expect others to do the day-to-day chores as they feel too important to waste their time on common things.
They very rarely talk about their inner life - for example their memories and dreams.
There tends to be a higher level of stress with people who work with or interact with a narcissist, which in turn increases absenteeism and staff turnover.
They feel that rules at work don't apply to them.
Their sense of self-importance and lack of empathy means that they will often interrupt the conversation of others.
They get impatient and restless when the topic of conversation is about someone else, and not about them.
They constantly use "I", "me" and "my" when they talk.
If you share the workload with them, expect to do the lion's share yourself.
They lack empathy and this colours everything they do.
They love to delegate work, and then interfere by micromanaging it. If it goes well they take the credit (plagiarism); if it goes badly, they blame the person they delegated it to.
Blame others for their actions and misfortunes.
During a conversation, no matter what topic is being discussed, they usually end up talking about themselves.
They will always cheat whenever they think they will get away with it.
Virtually all their ideas or ways of behaving in a given situation are taken from others (mirroring).[21]

After going through the above list, I think I am sometimes guilty as well  :blush:

I don't think I'm really guilty of the part about pushing work to people instead of doing it myself (I'm too much of a perfectionist so prefer to do it myself so it is done right :P), but other than that this is fucking spot on for me.  :blush:

Example of the behaviour which I think is narcissistic: recently, I had to visit post office and/or pharmacy (read: places with queues) several times to collect mail, buy stuff etc., at various time of the day (early morning, late morning, lunch time, evening, weekend).

I caught myself on being extremely annoyed and frustrated by all the retired/unemployed people there every time who "could just go to the post office when hardworking people like me are at work, so they do not waste my time during the hours I can actually get out - on my way to work, on my lunch break, on my way home, or on a weekend - of my work". Then I realized that if you tally that up, they probably have like 3 hours per day to do this (some time around 2-5 p.m.) on work days as everything else is a "me-time". :P

Slargos

I guess I am a narcissist.

I've been thinking lately on why so many of my sentences start with the letter "I".  :hmm:

Interestingly, note how I turned the subject around there..

Intriguing.

Indubitably, I am such a paragon of excellence that it's only natural I should use myself as example for others so involving myself in the subject would not seem so much arrogance as rationality.

Martinus

Also, I think all these traits make me a quirky but exceptional human being and I feel really good with them. :unsure:

In fact when a colleague recently told me that I'm a type of a "charming asshole", I said that I embrace that since this makes me special.

Does it mean I'm a narcissistic person? :unsure:

Edit: For the record, the above three sentences had 9 "I" and/or "me" in them.  :ph34r:

Slargos

That's just code for "asshole" but people are too polite to say so.

"Oh, he's a gentleman robber".

No, he's just a thieving bastard.

And you're just an asshole.

Edit: No I/me.  :bowler:

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 01:47:57 AM
I guess I am a narcissist.

I've been thinking lately on why so many of my sentences start with the letter "I".  :hmm:

Interestingly, note how I turned the subject around there..

Intriguing.

Indubitably, I am such a paragon of excellence that it's only natural I should use myself as example for others so involving myself in the subject would not seem so much arrogance as rationality.

Enough about you, let's talk about me.