News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another Victory for Wiki-Leaks

Started by Savonarola, April 05, 2011, 12:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Perhaps not as good as, say, ending corruption in the Ecuadorian police high command, but I think we can all agree this is the next best thing:

QuoteEcuador says U.S. ambassador not welcome
By the CNN Wire Staff
April 5, 2011 1:00 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- The Ecuadorian government on Tuesday declared the U.S. ambassador in that country, Heather Hodges, persona non grata and asked her to leave as soon as possible, the state-run Andes news agency reported. The decision was based on a State Department cable made public by WikiLeaks, it said.

Ecuador's foreign minister, Ricardo Patino, said that although the government is asking the ambassador to leave, she is not being officially expelled.

According to Patino, he had met with Hodges over the revelations in the leaked cable, which said Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa allegedly was aware of acts of corruption by the police high command.

Because the ambassador did not have a satisfactory response, it was decided that she was not welcome in Ecuador, Patino said, according to Andes.

This act "is not against the government of the United States, but against a diplomat who made serious statements," Patino said.

The U.S. State Department did not immediately respond to the development.

Patino said that during his meeting, he stressed to Hodges how upset the president was about the allegations, to which she declined to respond, saying only that it was information stolen from the U.S. government, Andes reported.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

KRonn

I think she's right, somaybe her comments were a bit too true for the Ecuadorans to take. I work with a guy from Ecuador; apparently bribery is the way to get a lot of things done there, a cash payoff just to get the most mundane things. I think the current President has been trying to get that in control but it's so ingrained in society that it's hard to stop it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Of course she is right, that isn't even the remotely interesting part of the story.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

I think that Ecuador has every right to declare people persona non grata for privately reporting what they hear.  If diplomats don't lie in their reports to their own governments, who knows where that could lead?  World peace?  Honesty in government?  *shudder*

In fact, the US could save some money by simply not having a diplomatic mission to Ecuador.  Subcontract the mission to Switzerland, like it does for Iran.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Ecuador's government is close with Chavez these days aren't they?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 03:34:53 PM

In fact, the US could save some money by simply not having a diplomatic mission to Ecuador.  Subcontract the mission to Switzerland, like it does for Iran.

Well, since we're looking for ways to save, let's just do that all across South America and Africa while we're at it. There has to be 50 or 60 embassies we can shut down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers