News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UN forces fire on pro-Gbagbo camp

Started by jimmy olsen, April 05, 2011, 02:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Two UN armed interventions in the same month, let alone the same decade!? Stunning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12960308

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Maybe the UN and French stepping in isn't too big a surprise? There were nine thousand UN peace keepers there, and it's a former French colony. And the guy they're opposing is refusing to step down after an election that he lost.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2011, 02:26:59 AM
Two UN armed interventions in the same month, let alone the same decade!? Stunning.

France getting involved with their former colonies in Africa is hardly stunning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martim Silva

No stress. Last I heard, Gbagbo's rule was reduced to his basement (like Jaron), while the rest of his house had already been occupied by Ouattara's forces. They were trying to pry him out of the basement, I think.

It is easy to take sides when the war has pretty much been decided.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 05, 2011, 08:47:38 AM
No stress. Last I heard, Gbagbo's rule was reduced to his basement (like Jaron), while the rest of his house had already been occupied by Ouattara's forces. They were trying to pry him out of the basement, I think.

You confused me with Jaron.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Maybe Gbagbo will throw a dance party live from his basement.

Warspite

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 05, 2011, 02:26:59 AM

The UN were already in Cote d'Ivoire.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Habbaku

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 05, 2011, 08:47:38 AM

Hey, could you link me to the thing about Grant owning slaves?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

What kind of stupid name is Gbagbo anyway?  African leaders have funny names.  Another good example:  Omar Bongo. :lol:  It would have been funnier if Bongo was in the Congo though rather than Gabon. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on April 05, 2011, 10:42:17 AM
What kind of stupid name is Gbagbo anyway?  African leaders have funny names.  Another good example:  Omar Bongo. :lol:  It would have been funnier if Bongo was in the Congo though rather than Gabon. :(

Tokyo Sexwale. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Caliga
What kind of stupid name is Gbagbo anyway?  African leaders have funny names.

And cities. Just go check the names of the capitals in the area. Or read the name of most of the cities in the North of the Democratic Republic of Congo...

Quote from: Habbaku
Hey, could you link me to the thing about Grant owning slaves?

http://www.nps.gov/ulsg/historyculture/slaveryatwh.htm

Here, but I found out he freed the last in 1859.