News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Backpacking in Europe this Summer

Started by Alcibiades, April 04, 2011, 01:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

When looking at it, for two people it was cheaper to rent a car then get Eurorail passes (which don't even cover all of Europe anyways).

The days of Eurorail passes being the cheap way to see Europe are, I believe, long gone.  If you are taking the train, you're better off to buy individual tickets.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on April 04, 2011, 01:52:16 PM
You should just stick your US passport on your forehead and you would get all the east euro girls you want. :contract:

I'm curious, is this based on received folk wisdom or personal observation?  Have you been in bars or night clubs where Americans walk in and all the hotties start humping their legs?

Josquius

Agreed on flights, they're pretty cheap from ryan air and easy jet if you buy in advance.

And Paris > Copenhagen.
Missing out something in between there you think? Amsterdam?

And totally skipping Eastern Europe is a mistake, you really should check out Krakow or Prague at least.

I have it on good authority that Athens sucks.

edit- aha, seen your second post.
Amsterdam isn't crap no. The foreign tourists on the trail of drugs kind of ruin it but really, Utretcht and co. have nothing on the Dam.
Antwerp is nothing special from what I've heard. Brugge though...
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2011, 02:48:06 PM
You should just stick your US passport on your forehead and you would get all the east euro girls you want. :contract:

I'm curious, is this based on received folk wisdom or personal observation?  Have you been in bars or night clubs where Americans walk in and all the hotties start humping their legs?

Sorry. 4 inches minimum. :contract:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2011, 02:56:38 PM

Alcibiades is a GI.  A doughboy.  No hemp for our boys in green.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2011, 02:59:59 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 04, 2011, 02:56:38 PM

Alcibiades is a GI.  A doughboy.  No hemp for our boys in green.
I'm not a big drug user, still think Amsterdam is a wonderful city. My parents (totally not drug users) agree.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2011, 02:59:05 PM
Sorry. 4 inches minimum. :contract:

Soft or hard?

Is the deal once you get to four inches all the hotties hump your leg at the door, or is it only a few at four and each additional unit gets you more hotties humping?

:hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 04, 2011, 02:13:48 PM
Well maybe we will fly then, we were kind of floored by the price of the rail.

My actual route is going to be :London > Antwerp > Amsterdam(area, Ive heard Amsterdam is kind of crap, but surrounding cities in the Netherlands are nice) > Cologne ( to see a friend) > Copenhagen > Berlin > Dresden > Prague > Munich > Vienna > Budapest > Athens > Venice > Rome > Milan > Marseille > Barcelona > back to london for flight out.

I would honestly love to meet all of you, so if you want to do a Vienna meet or we can just stop by at a pub or something if you live nearby any of these cities while I'm going through, that would be cool.  :cheers:

I'd skip a few of those cities as I don't think they're really worthy of a visit if you want to cover so much territory. I'd cross Copenhagen, Athens, Milan and Marseille from that list. Also, not visiting Florence or Venice is a crime, unless you'd include that in the in-between places to visit. Also, no Paris? I guess I must have slipped a post or two.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2011, 02:48:06 PM

:lol:

Personal assumption.

When the office I work at was new, it was a subsidiary of a German one. I heard tales of at least 2 or 3 of the Hungarian women working at our office nailing German husbands via persistence, and at least one which was a "regular". Germans new to town would literally just arrive in the office and ask for her whereabouts.
And these were German IT people FFS.

The Larch

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 04, 2011, 02:21:49 PM
Yeah, we don't really have set dates, trying to keep it loose for the most part to allow flexibility.  Assume 1-2 days in most places, obviously longer in places like berlin, prague, vienna and Athens.

Athens is a dump. If you want to go to that area, go to Istanbul.

Alcibiades

Yeah sorry, left Paris out by accident.  Will be there for a couple of days.

Sell me on Brugge over Antwerp if you will, had planned on visiting twerp for maybe 6 hours on the way to amsterdam.

And in regards to flights - a lot of the cities we planned on visiting arent covered by ryan air, and flights are prohibitively expensive a lot of the time.  And it will always be last minute.

Venice is in the trip, was in what you're quoted.  Will add Florence, though, and cut out Marseilles.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

This Vienna meet sounds like a neat idea.

The Larch

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 04, 2011, 03:09:04 PM
Yeah sorry, left Paris out by accident.  Will be there for a couple of days.

Sell me on Brugge over Antwerp if you will, had planned on visiting twerp for maybe 6 hours on the way to amsterdam.

And in regards to flights - a lot of the cities we planned on visiting arent covered by ryan air, and flights are prohibitively expensive a lot of the time.  And it will always be last minute.

Venice is in the trip, was in what you're quoted.  Will add Florence, though, and cut out Marseilles.

For Italy, calculate at least 3 days for Rome, and 2 for Florence and Venice. Milan can be seen in a couple of hours, it's not really a touristic city. I see that for the Iberian peninsula you only plan on Barcelona. I know it's the summer and it'll be hot, but maybe you could hop to Madrid and/or Lisbon as well.

Richard Hakluyt

The problem there, Larch, is that once you go to Madrid and Lisbon you may as well go to Santiago, Salamanca, Seville and Granada...........and from Granada it would be a shame not to hop over to Morocco  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Larchman: to understand the pull of Barcelona on the American male psyche you really need to watch the movie by the same title.  By the same guy (mostly the same cast) who did Metropolitan and The Last Days of Disco.