News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 10:30:32 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2011, 09:58:36 AM
We had an extreme ham once. Once of those gigantic Virginia salted hams. It was revolting.
Speaking of extreme hams, this week I've been tackling a 3 pound can of extra-lean Polish ham.  Mmmmmm....

:hmm:  Martinus isn't that thin.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

KRonn

Krakus is supposed to be a good ham. Reminds me that I wanted to check that out at the market!

But you guys need to stop hamming it up....    ;)

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 08, 2011, 07:34:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2011, 06:45:11 AM
That's not what Republicans at the time were saying.  They were explicitly saying they were picking up white southerners because Democrats had picked up the mantle of civil rights.

Really? They were explicitly saying that?  Quote?

Of course once the civil rights act was passed it was only a matter of time before southerners would abandon the democrats, though it still took 30 years for the GOP to make significant gains. Since support for segregation was the chief reason southerners supported the democrats in the first place its elimination meant that in the long-term other issues would start to dominate. Combine that with the democratic party's decision to remake itself after the '68 fiasco into a party of the left and the only surprising thing about the rise of the GOP in the south is how long it took.

The South was shifting toward the GOP before '68.  They were doing so in '64.  They would have gone sooner if Northern Democrats hadn't been so badly beaten in the early 50's.

But here's your quotes

QuoteAtwater: As to the whole Southern strategy that Harry S. Dent, Sr. and others put together in 1968, opposition to the Voting Rights Act would have been a central part of keeping the South. Now [the new Southern Strategy of Ronald Reagan] doesn't have to do that. All you have to do to keep the South is for Reagan to run in place on the issues he's campaigned on since 1964 and that's fiscal conservatism, balancing the budget, cut taxes, you know, the whole cluster.

Questioner: But the fact is, isn't it, that Reagan does get to the Wallace voter and to the racist side of the Wallace voter by doing away with legal services, by cutting down on food stamps?

Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

This was from the early 1980's.

QuoteFrom now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

Kevin Philips from 1970 (he later went Democratic, but not in 1970).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Only poor city slickers eat ham out of a can. :(

Whenever I want ham or any other kind of pork, I can get it fresh slaughtered from a farmer a mile or two from my house. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2011, 01:29:16 PM

Whenever I want ham or any other kind of pork, I can get it fresh slaughtered from a farmer a mile or two from my house. :cool:

If you're getting a pig freshly slaughtered what you are getting is NOT ham. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2011, 01:44:23 PM

If you're getting a pig freshly slaughtered what you are getting is NOT ham. :contract:

You gotta cure it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2011, 02:45:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2011, 01:44:23 PM

You gotta cure it.

That would be the point I am making, yes.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Who said you have to eat meat right after it's slaughtered? :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Fate

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on April 08, 2011, 05:20:36 PM
Who said you have to eat meat right after it's slaughtered? :huh:

It is my understanding that in fact, if you want ham, you can't eat it right away. It needs to be prepared first.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on April 08, 2011, 10:33:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 10:30:32 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2011, 09:58:36 AM
We had an extreme ham once. Once of those gigantic Virginia salted hams. It was revolting.
Speaking of extreme hams, this week I've been tackling a 3 pound can of extra-lean Polish ham.  Mmmmmm....

:hmm:  Martinus isn't that thin.

He sounds fat when he posts.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive