And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 11:07:17 AM
I agree with Berkut's assessment re Sansa

Otherwise - the way the season ended it is hard to see how they are going to make the Targ Reconquista interesting.  She has the dragons, dothraki hordes, unsullied, two of the strongest and richest Houses, the "yara" fleet, Varys and his bag of tricks.  Cersei has her own house (minus poor Kevan), an alliance with the now leaderless and unmartial Freys, and . . . that's about all folks, unless a few stormlander lords stay loyal.  How is this not going to be a cakewalk?

The real baddies are still north of the wall

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2016, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2016, 08:21:33 PM
Did women really had a choice whom to marry in medieval times?

In real life? Theoretically it was against Church law to force anybody to marry against their will. So the woman had to consent to the marriage. Of course your family had several carrots and sticks they could deploy whether you were a man or woman.
yeah, well, "Marry him or enter the convent" does not categorize as free will for me ;)

Could a noble woman really pick the man of her choice?  I doubt it.

It's pretty much established in Westeros it ain't that way.  Lady Tyrell tells it herself she never married out of love.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2016, 08:05:00 PM

William the Conqueror inherited Normandy despite being a bastard.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious, but Bastard Bill was an exception in Christian Europe, not the norm.  Bastardy was quite common, and in some countries Bastards were given special titles.  Sometimes they could be legitimized by legal fiat, but if they were expected to inherent then a civil war was likely.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

I just finished watching it.
Wow.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

One thing about ASOIF is that while "blood" is transmitted, genes apparently do not exist, as incest seems to have no negative effects beyond occasional madness in progeny.  Example - Zero genetic defects in the three children of fraternal twins.  If the Thutmosids had been in Martin's universe, they still would be ruling Egypt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 11:44:45 PM
One thing about ASOIF is that while "blood" is transmitted, genes apparently do not exist, as incest seems to have no negative effects beyond occasional madness in progeny.  Example - Zero genetic defects in the three children of fraternal twins.  If the Thutmosids had been in Martin's universe, they still would be ruling Egypt.

I'm not sure how much inbreeding is necessary to see noticeable genetic defects.  Most people in the middle ages were inbred due to cousin marriage, and much of the Arab world is now for the same reason.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2016, 08:05:00 PM
William the Conqueror inherited Normandy despite being a bastard.

He was legitimized.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Jon Snow was not legitimized, he was just acknowledged.  To be acknowledged by a noble parent removes the stigma of being baseborn, but doesn't make you legitimate (i.e. an heir).

Jon sis King of the North by acclamation, not by inheritance.  Much as Robert Baratheon became King of the Seven Kingdoms.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 07:28:59 PM
Learn something new every day - I was not aware of the multiple marriages bit. That would make things rather interesting, now wouldn't it?

Although....

Jon would not have been born when Rhaegar was killed. Would he be in line, since presumably a child in the womb is not an heir (seeing as you would not even know the sex, much less that it even exists potentially).
I can't remember the time line....but was jons  birth after the mad kings death too?
A unborn kid being king seems iffy (though there are historic examples) but an unborn heir seems quite standard, even if it is a grandson rather than a son.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2016, 08:36:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 07:28:59 PM
Learn something new every day - I was not aware of the multiple marriages bit. That would make things rather interesting, now wouldn't it?

Although....

Jon would not have been born when Rhaegar was killed. Would he be in line, since presumably a child in the womb is not an heir (seeing as you would not even know the sex, much less that it even exists potentially).
I can't remember the time line....but was jons  birth after the mad kings death too?
A unborn kid being king seems iffy (though there are historic examples) but an unborn heir seems quite standard, even if it is a grandson rather than a son.

Both Jon and Daenerys were born after Aerys' death.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 27, 2016, 09:12:08 PM
yeah, well, "Marry him or enter the convent" does not categorize as free will for me ;)

Well they couldn't force them to enter a convent either. But they could be disinherited.

QuoteCould a noble woman really pick the man of her choice?  I doubt it.

It's complicated. But I never said 'pick' I said 'consent'. But remember these noble women were people of their time. For the most part they wanted to do what their societies expected them to do.

QuoteIt's pretty much established in Westeros it ain't that way.  Lady Tyrell tells it herself she never married out of love.

Marrying for love is kind of a 19th century thing anyway. Which is also when people started getting disinherited alot for marrying out of love come to think of it.

Besides you are acting like noblemen did marry out of love. Marriage was negotiated between families.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

I guess I just imagine inheritance, at least in theory, being kind of an instantaneous thing.

King dies, at that moment his heir is the new king, even if he hasn't been officially crowned yet.

But you might be right - Rhaegar was dead *before* his father. So how does that work?

If the king has two sons, and his sons both have sons, and the eldest son dies before the king, the next son becomes the heir, right? Not the son (grandson of the king) of the prince?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Typically the grandson would.

But, you know, these things were not written in stone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Yes.... surely there's been a historic example of this?
King dies.  Son 2 becomes king.... then son 1s kid is born.
Is son 1s kid the heir of son 2? (Until son 2 has kids? Forever?) Is he totally out of the succession?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on June 28, 2016, 08:42:59 AM
I guess I just imagine inheritance, at least in theory, being kind of an instantaneous thing.

King dies, at that moment his heir is the new king, even if he hasn't been officially crowned yet.

But you might be right - Rhaegar was dead *before* his father. So how does that work?

If the king has two sons, and his sons both have sons, and the eldest son dies before the king, the next son becomes the heir, right? Not the son (grandson of the king) of the prince?

Nope, grandson first, younger sons afterwards. That's the "traditional" way, but there were lots of mixed formulas for inheritance.