News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Him dying was no surprise, but suicide was, but that makes sense given what happened to his wife and who did it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zanza

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 04:19:20 PM
Nobody has mentioned Tommen!

That was a great scene, it completely surprised me I have to admit, although the moment afterwards it made perfect sense. THAT is good writing, IMO. If you can both surprise me and make me think it made absolute sense, and be a powerful moment.
Yes, that was one of the best scenes. Cersei was a bit too cold about it though.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 27, 2016, 04:39:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 04:19:20 PM
Nobody has mentioned Tommen!

That was a great scene, it completely surprised me I have to admit, although the moment afterwards it made perfect sense. THAT is good writing, IMO. If you can both surprise me and make me think it made absolute sense, and be a powerful moment.
Yes, that was one of the best scenes. Cersei was a bit too cold about it though.

Yes, I was expecting her to be more heartbroken, but she just shrugged it off.

HVC

She already lost him the the sparrow. And he crossed her.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

I think she is just pretty numb to it all now. She is completely broken at this point.

0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 11:16:11 AM
From a claim standpoint, he is still a bastard though, right? If a bastard has a claim, one would think Gendry would be a viable heir at this point....what in the hell every happened to him anyway?
Is he?  The narrative that is tied to is that Rhaegar abducted and raped Lyanna.  If it was voluntary, they may have been married.  Perhaps it is something Jamie might know as a member of the Kingsguard at the time but never mentioned due to not wanting to offend Robert and not being overly relevant since Rhaegar and Lyanna were both dead and no one outside of Ned and possibly Howland Reed knew of Jon.

Something that comes to mind is the possibility of conflict between the North and Dany.  She has expressed that she is there for all of the Seven Kingdoms and is unwilling to see them splinter, even if it means gaining her allies.  The oath swearing King in the North Part II scene seems to suggest that the North is once again dedicated to being independent.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

I do have a hard time imagining the honorable Rhaegar making the bastard with his true love. He always tried to live up to the ideals in his books.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Anyone familiar with Pruit Igoe and Prophecies by Philip Glass?  It was used in the Watchmen trailers and movie.  It reminded me very heavily of the music in various parts of the season finale.  I nabbed the soundtrack to this latest season, but I haven't had a chance to fully listen to it yet to confirm my theory.  I'll toss a link in for reference purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NScKjz4cNY
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 27, 2016, 05:58:32 PM
Something that comes to mind is the possibility of conflict between the North and Dany.  She has expressed that she is there for all of the Seven Kingdoms and is unwilling to see them splinter, even if it means gaining her allies.  The oath swearing King in the North Part II scene seems to suggest that the North is once again dedicated to being independent.

Doesn't follow.  The KitN is for the same reason it was done with Robb - the existing Crown would not tolerate a Stark restoration and otherwise they would just be rebels.  Jon Snow presumably is worried principally about the threat across the wall.  He isn't going to hold back recognition if it compromises the defense  of the Noth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 06:15:28 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 27, 2016, 05:58:32 PM

Doesn't follow.  The KitN is for the same reason it was done with Robb - the existing Crown would not tolerate a Stark restoration and otherwise they would just be rebels.  Jon Snow presumably is worried principally about the threat across the wall.  He isn't going to hold back recognition if it compromises the defense  of the Noth.
It's more than just him though.  The nobles seem rather committed to the idea of a free North.  He is beholden to them and their wishes as they are to him.  I'm not saying it is guaranteed to happen, but it does have some legs to stand on as an option.

Admiral Yi

Disagree.  The one constant of the book and series is centripital pull.  The cases where loyalties and legitimacy overrule brute strength are the exception, not the rule.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 27, 2016, 06:10:56 PM
Anyone familiar with Pruit Igoe and Prophecies by Philip Glass?  It was used in the Watchmen trailers and movie.  It reminded me very heavily of the music in various parts of the season finale.  I nabbed the soundtrack to this latest season, but I haven't had a chance to fully listen to it yet to confirm my theory.  I'll toss a link in for reference purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NScKjz4cNY
...and found the GoT music that reminded me of it!  Once again, linkage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-gbqbVd8c&feature=youtu.be

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2016, 06:02:20 PM
I do have a hard time imagining the honorable Rhaegar making the bastard with his true love. He always tried to live up to the ideals in his books.

Well, it seemed that he was more interested in following the prince that was promised prophecy rather than love and passion, so who knows.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2016, 06:23:13 PM

Disagree.  The one constant of the book and series is centripital pull.  The cases where loyalties and legitimacy overrule brute strength are the exception, not the rule.

But the situation is a unique one:  the threat from beyond the Wall is something no one has seen before.  Jon needs help or his kingdom and everyone in it is going to be wiped out.  He's not going to insist on independence when that insistence will doom every one of his subjects.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

He was alrady married. I don't think you can make much of an argument based on "honor" for a guy who was already married with kids running off with someone else t begin with, and throwing polygamy into it (which I don't even think would be recognized as a legitimate marriage in the Seven Kingdons anyway) doesn't improve his standing.

0 rows returned