Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2015, 08:49:42 AM
No matter what she does, she will never do anything that endangers her kids

Not intentionally, at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grallon

Now that Cercei is back at the Red Keep, and with that Frankenstein monster at her side, I have a feeling there will be a reckoning with that High Priest and his fanatics.  At times I thought her repentance felt genuine during that long walk but I think when she hears about Myrcella she'll lose it and go on a rampage.  Perhaps that is what will prompt Jamie to kill her?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Why do you think Jaime will kill her?

The Larch

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 16, 2015, 09:50:01 AM
Why do you think Jaime will kill her?

The prophecy she received when she was a girl that we saw in a flashback earlier in the season. It said that her younger brother would kill her and she always assumed it'd be Tyrion, but Jaime is also her younger brother, as she was the firstborn of the twins.

Eddie Teach

Martinus

Also there is a school of thought that he is Azor Ahai apparently.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2015, 02:14:55 AM
Hopefully it will be better than the Dorne detour.

Lets hope so.  The show butchered that part of the story.

QuoteI was actually considering the idea that overall Martin thinks the truly righteous people in Westeros are in fact the Willdlings, and this entire thing is their story about how they finally defeated thousands of years of exile and oppression to bring democracy and freedom to Westeros.

@ Berkut,

Yeah, there a number of things that point to that:

spoiler quotes for those who have not read the books.

1) Bran's story arc and the power of the Old Gods;
2) Jon's attempt to save the Wildings ([spoiler]and the fact that Jon has survived the attack in some form although it is not clear how the show will deal with this since they didn't follow the books regarding his growing power to be like Bran - which again relates to the power of the Old Gods[/spoiler];
3) I anticipate that the Wildings will be the a significant part of the army Daenerys uses to conquer the Seven Kingdoms and save it from the White Walkers
4) [spoiler]I think Jon will have a role in that - he will be viewed as a savior by the Wildings and he will have good reason to support her cause.  Besides Tyrion (now the Queen's advisor) treated him with kindness when Jon had no friends[/spoiler]
5) Daenerys, the Wildings, Tyrion and [spoiler]Jon[/spoiler] are the underdogs in the story who are also the most virtuous and their interests align.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on June 16, 2015, 09:48:30 AM
Now that Cercei is back at the Red Keep, and with that Frankenstein monster at her side, I have a feeling there will be a reckoning with that High Priest and his fanatics.  At times I thought her repentance felt genuine during that long walk but I think when she hears about Myrcella she'll lose it and go on a rampage.  Perhaps that is what will prompt Jamie to kill her?

G.

I didn't get the sense there was anything repentant about what Cersei did.  She kept her eyes on the Keep as her goal.  Now that she is there she believes that she will be able to get her vengeance but I suspect that what will happen is she will frustrated because the King will not want to move against the High Priest while his wife is still in custody.  If that happens a good guess is that Cersei will act out in some way that finally causes Jamie to stop her.  I disagree with Marti.  Cersei isn't all about her kids.  She is all about Cersei and her children have been the best way thus far to further her own interests. 

Consider that fact that she was perfectly willing to undermine the authority of her son, the King, but empowering the High Priest to remove the Queen.  Cersei is motivated to get what Cersei wants.  Jamie has now had two children killed.  He will do whatever it takes to protect his last child. 

Josquius

If she was truly repentant she wouldn't have lied so clearly about having had dealings with someone other than lancel.
Interesting that the high septon let her go... Wonder what is game is.... It seems unlikely he would have been outplayed.

Interesting to see in the media jon snows actor insisting he definitely won't be back. And he has been bitching on chat shows about his hair and wanting to cut it and do new things.
Wouldn't that be a big surprise if it turned out Jon truly wasn't to come back.
Problem is though, where would that leave is for pov on the wall
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Melisandre is at The Wall.  As is Davos.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Unless the sparrow is TRULY only interested in spiritual matters, he cannot possibly want to push Cersei too far on the incest thing.

An acknowledgement of incest would result in a massive political upheaval in Kings Landing, that even the sparrow would likely not survive.

That would invalidate the king himself, and the Lannisters completely. What then? It was Cersei, after all, who allowed the re-arming of the Faith Militant - would some new king (Stannis?) go along with that? Not likely.

The septon is walking a very careful line....
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2015, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: Grallon on June 16, 2015, 09:48:30 AM

G.

I didn't get the sense there was anything repentant about what Cersei did.  She kept her eyes on the Keep as her goal.  Now that she is there she believes that she will be able to get her vengeance but I suspect that what will happen is she will frustrated because the King will not want to move against the High Priest while his wife is still in custody.  If that happens a good guess is that Cersei will act out in some way that finally causes Jamie to stop her.  I disagree with Marti.  Cersei isn't all about her kids.  She is all about Cersei and her children have been the best way thus far to further her own interests. 

Consider that fact that she was perfectly willing to undermine the authority of her son, the King, but empowering the High Priest to remove the Queen.  Cersei is motivated to get what Cersei wants.  Jamie has now had two children killed.  He will do whatever it takes to protect his last child.

I disagree. I think she is the (dumb) Mamma Bear. I think she would sacrifice herself to save her children.

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2015, 11:07:15 AM
Unless the sparrow is TRULY only interested in spiritual matters, he cannot possibly want to push Cersei too far on the incest thing.

An acknowledgement of incest would result in a massive political upheaval in Kings Landing, that even the sparrow would likely not survive.

That would invalidate the king himself, and the Lannisters completely. What then? It was Cersei, after all, who allowed the re-arming of the Faith Militant - would some new king (Stannis?) go along with that? Not likely.

I think the Sparrow in fact is about "spiritual" matters only. As some reviewer pointed out, he is the Westerosi Charles Manson. For all the benign face he puts on, this is not an inaccurate description.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2015, 11:07:15 AM

I don't think so.  The Septon appears to be motivated to create a Theocracy.  There are several lines in the show (and the books are much more detailed) about his references to the power the Church once had.  The people support the Septon.  If the king is shown to be a bastard born of incest that would serve the Septon's interest very well.   Cersei lied to him about the incest.  He warned her about the seriousness of doing that.  He will likely use that as a tool to bring down the Royal house and impose religious rule over the land.

edit:  That story arc would also set up a nice showdown between the followers of Old Gods and the New.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2015, 11:09:05 AM
I disagree. I think she is the (dumb) Mamma Bear. I think she would sacrifice herself to save her children.

There are many things that could be said about Cercei.  Being dumb is definitely not one of them.