Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 03:42:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM
Jamie has always been a guard.

He was an heir to a great house.
He's never been "just" a guard.

Incorrect.  In both the Books and the show he had to renounce his inheritance to become a King's Guard.  That is the main reason his father was so upset about the decision.  From that point on he was just a guard. King Joffrey certainly didn't care too much about him. ;)
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Yeah, all the time he was at King's Landing, just like Barristan, he was a guard.

When Barristan left King's Landing he become an advisor to the Queen and much more than just a guard.

Not that complicated boys.

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 07, 2015, 05:23:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 03:42:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM
Jamie has always been a guard.

He was an heir to a great house.
He's never been "just" a guard.

Incorrect.  In both the Books and the show he had to renounce his inheritance to become a King's Guard.  That is the main reason his father was so upset about the decision.  From that point on he was just a guard. King Joffrey certainly didn't care too much about him. ;)

BTW, my earlier statement is withdrawn, with apologies.  You were quoting him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 05:25:37 PM
Yeah, all the time he was at King's Landing, just like Barristan, he was a guard.

When Barristan left King's Landing he become an advisor to the Queen and much more than just a guard.

So you concede that he was a member of the Small Council?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

You people will argue about anything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

Indeed.  In this case, though, cC's assertion that the show writers are "dumbing down" the story is worth discussing, even if he can't quite seem to address his contentions openly.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Languish discussion of 'Game of Thrones':

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I like Yi's headband. Not sure how I feel about Garbon's fatigues.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2015, 05:48:22 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 05:33:02 PM

Indeed.  In this case, though, cC's assertion that the show writers are "dumbing down" the story is worth discussing, even if he can't quite seem to address his contentions openly.

I am not sure if you are being dishonest.  Being an asshole.  Or just dumb.  Perhaps all three.

In any event, without Seedy here you seem to be getting worse and worse. 

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 06:02:18 PM
I like Yi's headband. Not sure how I feel about Garbon's fatigues.
:lol:

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 06:09:56 PM
I am not sure if you are being dishonest.  Being an asshole.  Or just dumb.  Perhaps all three.

In any event, without Seedy here you seem to be getting worse and worse.

You haven't gotten any more honest since Seedy left, that's for sure.  If you want to challenge my arguments, some time... any time, feel free to do so.  Just don't do so on the basis of faulty "evidence" like your assertion that the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard isn't on the Small Council.  And don't crop my quotes to try to make out that I am saying things that I am clearly not saying, like you did in the "Why Not Utopia" thread.  And try, every once in a while, to make arguments that aren't bald-faced ad homs, like this one.

Unless it isn't GoT that you want to discuss, in which case start a "waa, waa, grumbler is being mean and crushing my arguments" thread to whine in.  I won't post there, I promise.  You can ad hom there to your heart's content.

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 05:25:37 PM

He was a guard, but of course he was much, much more than just a guard. He was a Lannister, one of the primary military commanders, and advisor to the queen and king, a confidant of his father, the most powerful man in Westeros, etc., etc., etc.

As far as the context is concerned, he was certainly someone who was a definite target for his families enemies.

He was never, in the context of this discussion, "just a guard".

And before he left Kings Landing, *he* was much more than just a guard as well. He was one of the most famous knights of the realm, not just the guard of the king but the sometimes sword of the king. Advisor, etc., etc.

No kidding.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2015, 01:18:32 AM
Wonder where Tyrion vanishing leaves varys.

I was wondering as I watched the show whether Jorah Mormont's actions might not have served varys quite well, since it gets Tyrion to Dani without Varys himself having to go through the discomfort and danger of transporting Tyrion.  It is conceivable that Varys knew Mormont was in whatever city that was (Varys has little birdies everywhere), but I don't see any evidence that Varys orchestrated the kidnapping.  Tyrion's actions seemed all of his own free will, and Varys's objections to taking the risk seemed genuine.

Still, it is fun to think that Varys orchestrated this whole thing, improbable though that seems.  Anyone have any evidence one way or the other?

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 06:02:18 PM
Not sure how I feel about Garbon's fatigues.

You like them, that's what. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

That's Mono in the head band.  I look more like a Mexican.