News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2014, 05:36:42 PM
Pretty sure Martin has a say in the content and did not fully sign away total creative control to HBO.  I mean heck he writes an episode a season.

And I'm pretty sure that HBO has an arrangement with him whereby they can continue the story after they finish with what has appeared in the book.  And I am pretty sure that he has an agreement with HBO that they won't simply tell the same story he plans to tell in the books, thus undermining the sales of the books.  So, it is in everyone's interests for HBO to tell a story that diverges from his plans at some point.  They have already left out a lot, and will be leaving out a whole lot more as they move into the territory of the more poorly-written (and even-more-poorly-edited) later books.

Martin has gone on the record as having told HBO to wait after they reach the end of the current books, and just film the other stories he has written that are set in Westeros.  And HBO has gone on the record as saying, basically, "you are nuts; the actors are not getting any younger and we need to wrap this up while they are still credible as the characters they play."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

I find CC's been more agreeable lately. Maybe it's the B.C. weather, I dunno.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2014, 06:32:09 PM

I had a nice Port last night.  I shall revert to my disagreeable self shortly.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 09, 2014, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2014, 06:32:09 PM

I had a nice Port last night.  I shall revert to my disagreeable self shortly.
Did you have any port in a storm?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Some Geologist was really bored at work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

Westeros needs more glacial lakes.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Viking

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 10, 2014, 01:23:24 AM
Westeros needs more glacial lakes.

Well, if you Want Glacial Lakes, Iceland is the place to film them... good thing they like filming there.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

His map is wrong. Skaagos and Ibin IIRC (yes, I could just check wiki, but screw you) should be islands in the north sea.

Remember the show completely skipped Ned's flashbacks to the Tower of Joy, in fact almost EVERY SINGLE hint that R+L=J from the books has been erased in the show.
Yeah, if we ignore the books and take the TV show as a single entity...then you've Ned promising to tell Jon all about his past then the plotline is promptly dropped.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

I'm pretty sure they're going to use Bran as a flashback machine when he gets to the Wierwood tree.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2014, 07:39:32 AM
I'm pretty sure they're going to use Bran as a flashback machine when he gets to the Wierwood tree.
Nice idea, here's to hoping. As I've said before it always annoyed me how many awesome flashback chances they passed up in the first series, one time in particular the camera zoomed in on Ned and you heard the sound of swords clashing but...no.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

IIRC at some point the showrunners said that they would not to use flashbacks in the show. They shot some for the first season but then decided against using them.

jimmy olsen

They got to do something with Bran. What else is there?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Rasputin

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2014, 05:31:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 07, 2014, 05:24:47 PM
Why did they have to gay up Oberyn?

I hadn't really formed a mental image of the Dornishmen from the books, but i certainly didn't see them as Sinbad the Sailor with a Spanish accent.
They needed a gay character to make the activists happy?

SPOILER ALERT

[spoiler]Boy I wonder what marty will say, when they kill off another gay character?[spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]
Who is John Galt?