And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2012, 07:30:47 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 11, 2012, 06:04:47 AM
would be a bad investment policy. No subjects, no income.

So what? A lot of people do not act in their long term best interest. If heirs to vast capitalist fortunes can squander them away, I don't see why heirs to feudal holdings can't.

Incidentally, another example of a sadist psychopath baron I just thought of is Gilles de Rais.
fortunes generally don't wield farming- or other implements that are -when you think about it- horrible weapons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Faeelin on April 11, 2012, 01:19:11 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on April 11, 2012, 12:57:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2012, 09:39:04 AM
Elizabeth Bathory?

Not to mention Vlad Dracula.

Isn't Vlad actully fairly well respected in Romania?
slaughtering 10.000s of Turks usually has that result.

Viking

Elizabeth Bathory?

Tepes killed his enemies for politics, not for sport or dermatology.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

Caligula, Bathory, Saltykova, de Rais, de los Ríos y Lísperguer...given the circumstances it's not totally impossible that you would hear stories of someone like Bolton.  I think it is debatable to what extent they would actually be accurate though. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Sounds good!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/game-of-thrones-third-season_n_1416386.html
QuoteWhen HBO's renewal of "Game of Thrones" for a third season was announced Tuesday, one question sprang to many fans' minds: How many episodes will there be?

A spokesperson for the network would not confirm that, as was the case with the first two seasons, the third season will have 10 episodes. But executive producer D.B. Weiss, whom I interviewed after the renewal announcement, said that he and fellow "Game of Thrones" executive producer David Benioff were proceeding on the assumption that Season 3 will consist of 10 episodes.

"I would say that, going forward, 10-episode seasons are really all that are possible, given our 12-month [production] cycle," Weiss said. "For this show specifically, it's really all we can do to do 10 of them in a year. I would say not to expect more than 10 a season any time in the near future ... We had always planned on a 10-episode season [for the show's third year]."

Some fans and media observers had hoped that the show, currently in its second season (Sundays at 9 p.m. ET on HBO), would get a two-season renewal, and I asked Weiss about that as well.

"I'm not aware of [HBO] having done that in the past -- doing two at a time," Weiss replied. "Generally, it seems to be a season-by-season thing."

The question was partly prompted by the theory that the show would need two seasons to deal with "A Storm of Swords," the third book in Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" novel series. But fans of the shows (and books) should not presume that certain seasons will deal with certain books, Weiss said. He said the plan that he and Benioff have involves taking on sections of the overall saga that make sense in 10-episode installments.

"We've always said that we see the show as an adaptation of George's series, not this book or that book," Weiss explained. "It's definitely true that 'A Storm of Swords' is too big to even come close to fitting in one season. We've done some shuffling around of things -- as an example, there were some things from Book 2 that ended up in Season 1, and there are probably going to be some things in Book 2 that didn't make it into Season 2 or maybe won't show up later. Book 3 is definitely too much for a 10-episode season, so we're taking the long view of the series of the whole, and trying to do as much justice as possible to George's overall epic story and be as true to the spirit as we can, while keeping it an exciting and viable and vivid as a television show that stands on its own two legs."

As I said in my conversation with Weiss, it sounds as though the way to look at upcoming season (hopefully seasons) of the show are as portions of the overall saga, not sections of particular books.

"Yeah," Weiss said. "A season of television needs to feel like a season of television. We have so many storylines to juggle, and they all need to ideally have a sense of a beginning, middle and end over the course of a season. Each character needs to feel like they're traveling a specific road in the course of a season, and coming out as a different person than they went in. It's never going to be about taking a book and ripping it in half -- 'At page 673, this is the place where [the season] ends.' It comes down to case-by-case [decisions] with each story and how best to serve each character's story going forward."

And yes, Martin himself will be writing a third-season episode. The fan site Westeros has the details on that front.

Much more from my interview with D.B. Weiss will be posted here on Monday, in addition to my review of the third episode of the season.

Check out HuffPost TV's recent interview with "Game of Thrones" actor Kit Harington (Jon Snow) and check back here later in the week for an interview with Richard Madden (Robb Stark). For my reviews of the first two episodes of "Game of Thrones" Season 2, look here and here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

So, now that episode 2 is out and people have had time to digest it, what are the thoughts?  I'm less than thrilled with the writers throwing in more changes and edits in one episode than the entirety of season 1.  I know they want to streamline things to some level, but at the same time I feel they're cutting it down too much to make it "approachable".  With a televised format, you have audio and visual cues with characters and plots to work with, unlike the literary format where everything is confined to words.  If the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, it would seem to behoove the writers to stick to the storyline of the book.  It would also damn the slow writing Martin, but that's another issue.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Having never read the books, i'm quite content.

:)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

LaCroix

Quote from: Tyr on April 10, 2012, 07:16:47 AM
I knew that'd be the reply...
But yeah. The Starks. They're quite unquestionably "the good guys"- a big point of the books being that being good and honorable gets you screwed over by those who play to win.

grrm's point throughout the point of view characters is that perspective matters most. we see the starks as the good guys because that is the view we are given. the first book painted jaime as an utter stereotypical villain in the first book, but the later books--that showed his point of view--introduced a new side to the character. we are even given hints, here and there, of how others view ned stark: a cold man, wholly unlikeable

Quote from: FaeelinSure. I can think of plenty of awful people. But I can't think of that many people who were evil towards their own subjects for the LOLZ YAY.

ramsay is not a lord, but someone roose bolton has granted an extraordinary amount of power to. we do not know what will happen to ramsay should roose perish. do they follow ramsay, or do they follow roose? ramsay's friend, really a man in roose's pocket, implies who really is in power

Quote from: Benedict ArnoldSo, now that episode 2 is out and people have had time to digest it, what are the thoughts?  I'm less than thrilled with the writers throwing in more changes and edits in one episode than the entirety of season 1.  I know they want to streamline things to some level, but at the same time I feel they're cutting it down too much to make it "approachable".  With a televised format, you have audio and visual cues with characters and plots to work with, unlike the literary format where everything is confined to words.  If the old adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, it would seem to behoove the writers to stick to the storyline of the book.  It would also damn the slow writing Martin, but that's another issue.

even in this thread i voiced some discontentment with how the show is portraying certain characters from the series. however, it is true that the game of thrones HBO series is not the same as the a song of ice and fire book series. they should be viewed separately, as the creators themselves have said. in that sense, i suppose we do not know the personalities or futures of any of the characters unless they are hinted at on screen

Tamas

Quote from: Faeelin on April 11, 2012, 01:19:11 PM
Elizabeth Bathory?

Isn't Vlad actully fairly well respected in Romania?

They are very short on historical figures of note, being a nation of mountain goatherders and bandits. So they take what they get. If it is a sadistic turncloak robber baron who is known worldwide, they go ahead and be proud of him.

Razgovory

You know I can't think of any really famous Romanians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

There aren't very many*. Though apparently, Edward G. Robinson and Johnny Weismuller are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romanians

*Famous Romanians that is. There's a crap ton of random strings of letters on this list.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2012, 06:00:48 AM
There aren't very many*. Though apparently, Edward G. Robinson and Johnny Weismuller are.

*Famous Romanians that is. There's a crap ton of random strings of letters on this list.

Nadia Comenici? You missed her?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2012, 06:00:48 AM

I didn't know either was born in Hungary.  Of course, one was Jewish and the other German...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on April 12, 2012, 06:07:34 AM
Nadia Comenici? You missed her?

I neither read the whole list, nor listed every name I recognized.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Tamas is bringing his Romania hate into our pure GoT thread. :o

Next he'll be posting ugly youtube videos of what Hungary will look like in 2020 backed by Magyar techno music.
Winner of THE grumbler point.