Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2012, 08:17:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 03, 2012, 07:56:39 PM
Another thing that got me about the first episode was the reality of the land beyond the wall did not quite match the hype.  If one old man with 60 daughter-wives can hack it, it can't really be that tough.
He has help, which was more than hinted at.

How do Northerners feed themselves?  I keep thinking they have hearty rye and barley, but the lakes are goddamn frozen over for years at a time.  Do they drink evergreen sap?

I think I asked that question last year.  There is snow on the ground in the summer.  Lots of snow.  God only knows what happens in winter.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Phillip V on April 03, 2012, 08:52:21 PM
Melisandre naked.
Yeah.  See her other movies.  She's physically impossible.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

I mean, seriously, she's a goddamn thermodynamic miracles.  And she's in her mid-30s.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2012, 08:57:13 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on April 03, 2012, 08:52:21 PM
Melisandre naked.
Yeah.  See her other movies.  She's physically impossible.

She just looks weird.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on April 03, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
Another thing that got me about the first episode was the reality of the land beyond the wall did not quite match the hype.  If one old man with 60 daughter-wives can hack it, it can't really be that tough.

Craster was the kind of hard muther fucker that nobody wants to fuck with. [spoiler]Furthermore Craster has been buying safety from the wights and others by sacrificing his sons to them.
Yeah I had more of an old Conan (Shwarzzenegger) look in my mind when I read the books.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 03, 2012, 08:53:43 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2012, 08:17:14 PM
He has help, which was more than hinted at.

How do Northerners feed themselves?  I keep thinking they have hearty rye and barley, but the lakes are goddamn frozen over for years at a time.  Do they drink evergreen sap?

I think I asked that question last year.  There is snow on the ground in the summer.  Lots of snow.  God only knows what happens in winter.
Read the books. One late summer/early autumn snow storm doesn't mean much aside as an indicator of a hard winter to come.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Meh, the full size of the one below is better.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Every time I open A Feast for Crows I find my self thinking "I don't want to read random character 1109's depressing sob story and inevitable betrayal/murder" and closing it.

Can I safely skip the prologue and get to the meat of the story or is there something important in it?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

The prologue for Feast is relevant to the grand scheme of the story, and its referenced again in a later chapter(maybe the epilogue). That chapter won't be as significant to you if you haven't read it. Just read it. :)
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

You should skip any chapter titled "Brienne".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

The second season is very underwhelming so far.

The scene with the goldcloaks coming for Gendry sucked. I don't get why they changed the story from the book and killed the bloodrider dude, for 2 minutes of air time  :huh:

Also, big scheming genius Littlefinger is kind of a dummy, and Stannis full of honor is fucking Melisandre, which flies against everything we ever read about him in 5 books. This dude was eating his shoes back in Storm's End rather than give in, all for honor, now some redhead flashes her tits at him and he throws his principles out the window?

Ugh. I think I've seen enough of Game of Thrones...

Admiral Yi

Zoupa ragequits Game of Thrones! :o

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zoupa on April 04, 2012, 01:53:54 AM
The second season is very underwhelming so far.

The scene with the goldcloaks coming for Gendry sucked. I don't get why they changed the story from the book and killed the bloodrider dude, for 2 minutes of air time  :huh:

Also, big scheming genius Littlefinger is kind of a dummy, and Stannis full of honor is fucking Melisandre, which flies against everything we ever read about him in 5 books. This dude was eating his shoes back in Storm's End rather than give in, all for honor, now some redhead flashes her tits at him and he throws his principles out the window?

Ugh. I think I've seen enough of Game of Thrones...
Uh...he does fuck her in the books.

Also, it seems he doesn't even have a daughter in the tv show so he's gonna need a bastard to legitimize if he wants succession to be orderly.

1 Karma Chameleon point