Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Siege on March 26, 2012, 05:57:14 PM
What's a PvPer and what's a nerf?

PvP = Player vs Player

Nerf = a reduction in difficulty or strength, derived from the toy "Nerf Football".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alcibiades

Yeah I forgot about the leeches.  And it does appear that the red religion is the only real religion at this point, or one capable of.....doing things.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Viking

Quote from: Alcibiades on March 26, 2012, 07:59:53 PM
Yeah I forgot about the leeches.  And it does appear that the red religion is the only real religion at this point, or one capable of.....doing things.

The Old Gods have done stuff, peeping tom stuff, but stuff still. Now with Dragons born magic returns. The Alchemists comment on this as well as Melisandre when she has a pov with her preparing her powders.

Magic is connected to the Wall and Dragons. The faith of the seven has hid behind the wall for thousands of years and dragon free for thousands of years until the arrival of the targaryens. So I don't expect that they are very magic friendly. The Maesters do study it, but have given up on it for the most part (probably due to the lack of dragons and others).

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Aren't the Red Priests more powerful now also since the magic has been returning? I'd say it's all part of the same thing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2012, 05:52:20 PM
Its always the PvPers crying for nerfs that screw up a good game.

US soldiers vs. Afghan rebels is imba.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2012, 12:02:57 PM
actually, it's very British.

Interesting.  If the Seven Kingdoms were done French-style how would it be different?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Alcibiades

At the end of the 5th book, what was going on exactly?  I realized I was supposed to be drawing connections and stuff, but I don't  think I quite got it.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on March 26, 2012, 05:47:14 PM
So, Melissandre came out to Stannis with 3 leeches full of Cedric Storm's blood, royal blood, and Stannis took them one by one threw then into the fire, naming an "usurper" at a time. One for Joff, one for Greyjoy, and one our beloved Robb Stark. They all died.

What was the meaning of this? That Melissandre have the "real" religion? That the red priests have the True Religion (tm) and all others are wrong?
I think GRRM fucked this one up. Melissandre is way overpowered if she can kill people just by dropping leeches in the fire. Thoros is way overpowered if he can revive people at his wimp.

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2012, 11:54:56 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2012, 12:02:57 PM
actually, it's very British.

Interesting.  If the Seven Kingdoms were done French-style how would it be different?

I think the Seven Kingdoms work better with European analogies but with some notable "War of Roses" tinge to it.

Only the North has a distinct British analogy (Scotland) that works better than anything else. Casterly Rock, King's Landing, Storm's End and Dragon Stone (is that the name?) are pretty generic feudal places that could work in England as much as anywhere else in Western Europe.

Dorne is definitely non-British and is reminiscent of Spain or perhaps Southern Italy. The Reach is most like Southern France and again does not have any close similarities to any part of Britain. The Iron Isles are like Norway or the like.

Martinus

However, what I think Raz was alluding to in his post is that the British (especially, English) nobility around the time in history that the books imitate (some early 14th century) did indeed mainly speak French. So if you consider the fact that pretty much every Westeros Kingdom (except perhaps Dorne) could be placed in Britain or France of that period, and the fact that the series concentrates on noble families, saying that it imitates "French speakers" is perhaps the closest you can get to reality with a short answer .

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on March 27, 2012, 03:41:16 AM
However, what I think Raz was alluding to in his post is that the British (especially, English) nobility around the time in history that the books imitate (some early 14th century) did indeed mainly speak French. So if you consider the fact that pretty much every Westeros Kingdom (except perhaps Dorne) could be placed in Britain or France of that period, and the fact that the series concentrates on noble families, saying that it imitates "French speakers" is perhaps the closest you can get to reality with a short answer .

What's the POINT of all this?

viper37

Quote from: Siege on March 26, 2012, 05:47:14 PM
What was the meaning of this? That Melissandre have the "real" religion? That the red priests have the True Religion (tm) and all others are wrong?
it's up to you to decide if it's Faith or if it's a coincidence.  I vote for the latter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2012, 11:54:56 PM
only the geography would change :P
Medieval French and England were quite similar.  I was responding non sensical stuff to Raz.

It's just that when I read the books, I figure England in mind.  Hadrian's Wall, the frozen north (Scotland), the way Westeros is formed looks to me like a reverse image of England, the constant infighting for the throne reminscent of England's civil wars (War of the Roses, John Lackland and Richard Lionheart, Cromwell, etc), the invasion by the Andals=The Normans invading England, and many other references.

Dorne, with its mountain pass might be like Spain and the Pyrénés, or Italy with the Alps, places to difficult to access by land yet not really impossible.  But culturally, it reminds me of Wale: a distinct kingdom within a kingdom.  Really, when we think of the Seven Kingdoms, we don't see them as totally different from one another, aside Dorne.  Well, maybe also the Viking pirates and their Drown God are different.  Probably a mix between Barabry Pirates and the Viking invasions taking place in medieval england.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I think the Andals= the Anglo-Saxons while the Targarians=the Normans and the First men= the Britons.  But you are right.  England and France were very similar during the period.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/03/six-clips-from-ep-11-the-north-remembers/

Six preview clips from the first episode of the 2nd season have been made available. Enjoy!