News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 06, 2011, 04:22:57 PM
He dumps his armour in the books I'm sure.
When he shows up again he's not wearing it anyway.

Yes, in the book he drops it all, and then Joffrey sends guards after him to seize him for the perceived threat. Of course, those guards get butchered.

Habbaku

Yeah, I was disappointed that we didn't at least get a glimpse of the guards sent after him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Reminds me of the scene in Bring It On II in which the heroine signals her disgust with the cheerleading squad by stripping out of her uniform and tossing it at their feet.

FYI, the little outer panties they wear over their inner panties are called "skippies."

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 04:26:03 PM

Yes, in the book he drops it all, and then Joffrey sends guards after him to seize him for the perceived threat. Of course, those guards get butchered.

I like the detail that he filled in the entry in the white book about him being relieved of duty.

Strong Belwas next.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2011, 04:31:26 PM

I like the detail that he filled in the entry in the white book about him being relieved of duty.

Strong Belwas next.

Yeah, managing to include a taunt to Jaime Lannister in the process, IIRC.  :lol:

Viking

He drops his breastplate in the book, not his cloak as he does on TV.

QuoteSer Barristan looked up sharply. "A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords... but I spit upon your pity." He reached up and undid the clasps that held his cloak in place, and the heavy white garment slithered from his shoulders to fall in a heap on the floor. His helmet dropped with a clang. "I am a knight," he told them. He opened the silver fastenings of his breastplate and let that fall as well. "I shall die a knight."
"A naked knight, it would seem," quipped Littlefinger.
They all laughed then, Joffrey on his throne, and the lords standing attendance, Janos Slynt and Queen Cersei and Sandor Clegane and even the other men of the Kingsguard, the five who had been his brothers until a moment ago. Surely that must have hurt the most, Sansa thought. Her heart went out to the gallant old man as he stood shamed and red-faced, too angry to speak. Finally he drew his sword.
Sansa heard someone gasp. Ser Boros and Ser Meryn moved forward to confront him, but Ser Barristan froze them in place with a look that dripped contempt. "Have no fear, sers, your king is safe... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white." He flung his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne. "Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."
He took the long way out, his steps ringing loud against the floor

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2011, 04:37:53 PM

He drops his breastplate in the book, not his cloak as he does on TV.

QuoteSer Barristan looked up sharply. "A hall to die in, and men to bury me. I thank you, my lords... but I spit upon your pity." He reached up and undid the clasps that held his cloak in place, and the heavy white garment slithered from his shoulders to fall in a heap on the floor. His helmet dropped with a clang. "I am a knight," he told them. He opened the silver fastenings of his breastplate and let that fall as well. "I shall die a knight."
"A naked knight, it would seem," quipped Littlefinger.
They all laughed then, Joffrey on his throne, and the lords standing attendance, Janos Slynt and Queen Cersei and Sandor Clegane and even the other men of the Kingsguard, the five who had been his brothers until a moment ago. Surely that must have hurt the most, Sansa thought. Her heart went out to the gallant old man as he stood shamed and red-faced, too angry to speak. Finally he drew his sword.
Sansa heard someone gasp. Ser Boros and Ser Meryn moved forward to confront him, but Ser Barristan froze them in place with a look that dripped contempt. "Have no fear, sers, your king is safe... no thanks to you. Even now, I could cut through the five of you as easy as a dagger cuts cheese. If you would serve under the Kingslayer, not a one of you is fit to wear the white." He flung his sword at the foot of the Iron Throne. "Here, boy. Melt it down and add it to the others, if you like. It will do you more good than the swords in the hands of these five. Perhaps Lord Stannis will chance to sit on it when he takes your throne."
He took the long way out, his steps ringing loud against the floor

:contract:

Viking

mistype, I meant not just his cloak... I was proving you right...

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2011, 04:47:56 PM

What a diference just a word makes.  :lol:  ;)

Viking

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 04:55:40 PM
Quote from: Viking on June 06, 2011, 04:47:56 PM

What a diference just a word makes.  :lol:  ;)

word

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 04:35:59 PM
Yeah, managing to include a taunt to Jaime Lannister in the process, IIRC.  :lol:

Drawing a blank on this one.  Was this where Jaime was looking through the book and reading all of the other's accomplishments?  What was his taunt towards Jaime?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Should have kept the Stannis line in there. We don't hear nearly enough about him.

The Larch

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2011, 05:25:27 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 06, 2011, 04:35:59 PM

Drawing a blank on this one.  Was this where Jaime was looking through the book and reading all of the other's accomplishments?  What was his taunt towards Jaime?

Can't remember right now, it's from the 3rd book, when Jaime is back in King's Landing and acting as Lord Commander. He is waiting for the Kingsguard to arrive and checks the White Book in the meanwhile. He observes that Barristan kept it up to date until the very end and somehow managed to make Jaime's entry into it accurate and at the same time insulting, or something like that. It's been a while.

Josquius

I remember Jamie's entry just being rather empty and lame in comparison. It mentions the kingslayer business I think? Don't know if that was Barristan's doing upon leaving though, assumed jhe would have done that as part of his regular duties long before leaving.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Reading the comments about episode 8 got me to watch this again.  Got to agree with Berk on episode 7.  The richest Lord in the land cleaning out the entrails and then skinning an animal.  He doesnt have huntsmen or butchers for that sort of thing?  Remember how the Hound rode down a mere butcher's son?

How the Mighty Lannisters have fallen in the transition from book to screenplay.