News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2019, 10:53:41 AM
And what was the mysterious voice in the flames Varys repeatedly referred to?  If it was important, why don't we know the story?  If it wasn't, why do we know there is a story?  Anyone got a clue or theory?
Melisandre do you mean?  I don't recall Varys talking about a voice in the flames.  That whole "Prince Who Was Promised" thing seems to have disappeared along with the Lord of Light having any use aside from the "wouldn't it be cool if" scene with the Dothraki that was ultimately idiotic.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Iormlund

The episode would have worked a lot better if Tyrion just kept appearances and conspired with Jon behind her back. Jon stepps in front of the throne and Drogon burns them both. The spore-born Unsullied and Dothraki then leave of their own accord.

I did like Brienne's bit with the Lord Commander's journal.

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 20, 2019, 01:09:25 PM
Melisandre do you mean?  I don't recall Varys talking about a voice in the flames.  That whole "Prince Who Was Promised" thing seems to have disappeared along with the Lord of Light having any use aside from the "wouldn't it be cool if" scene with the Dothraki that was ultimately idiotic.

No, Varys heard this mysterious voice come out of the flames when his manhood was sacrificed by the wizard in Myr.  He mentions it to several people, but the show never resolves the mystery.  It is also in the books, IIRC.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I actually liked the season, and felt it ended well.  For the record I didn't like the last season much at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Again, naff execution.
Didn't see king Bran coming.
Poor Drogon :(

Really seems like they're not closing a series, rather setting up for a series of superior spin offs.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 20, 2019, 03:00:34 PM
superior spin offs.

We'll see. Though I thought none of the spinoffs were going to be sequels.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

I don't think they're doing any sequels, no. All prequels or concurrent stories that follow different characters, perhaps.

I just hope they learn how platemail works against swords, but that's a pretty narrow likelihood.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

katmai

It's Valyrian steel Habu FFS
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

King Bran makes absolutely no sense. 8 seasons and they couldn't come up with a satisfying resolution to the actual Game of Thrones other than "let's give it to this guy with no power base whose sister has just seceded, but hey, here's this cheapass speech about storytelling to justify it".

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on May 20, 2019, 03:51:05 PM
King Bran makes absolutely no sense. 8 seasons and they couldn't come up with a satisfying resolution to the actual Game of Thrones other than "let's give it to this guy with no power base whose sister has just seceded, but hey, here's this cheapass speech about storytelling to justify it".

By a Lannister Imp, no less.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Could you imagine the *immediate* new wars that would start, as most of the nobles of Westeros NOT sitting at that table would say "BRANTHEWHOTHEFUCK????" and put forth their own candidate?

Hell, at the point fucking Gendry has a better claim than he does.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Also, btw, the fact that Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen turns out to be....completely meaningless. Awesome.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Yeah. The transformation to largely meaningless Hollywood ligtheartedness is complete I guess.

Could have been much worse though.

What really bugged me for some reason was Arya turning Columbus. That came even more from nowhere than Bran.

Also funny that literally none of the big storyarchs (zombies, fire god, Targaryens, the eunuch's talking flames story, probably 6 others) amounted to anything in the series.

Episodes 3 and 4 just burned me out so I am not really disappointed more than I was then. Like the previous episode, this was ok once you shed all expectations.

But I am glad it is over, it was high time the death rattles of the series ended.

Zoupa

My head cannon is that Bran planned this all along. The 3 eyed raven is actually the big bad evil, letting people roast and die left and right so he can be king.

Why did he insist on telling Jon about his parents and his claim if he doesn't care about anything?

It doesn't explain the Night King - three eyed raven connection but whatever. Nothing in the show explains why the raven matters or why the night king cares about him anyway.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2019, 04:02:59 PM
Also, btw, the fact that Jon Snow is actually a Targaryen turns out to be....completely meaningless. Awesome.

A Targaryen, the prince who was promised, and the lord of Winterfell and the boy Ned Stark protected at the price of his reputation and pain caused to his wife - all because the leader of the unsullied, who was leaving anyway, didn't want him to be king.

After thinking about though it is a brilliant ending and one Martin likely told them,  but the show runners missed the significance. Perhaps they did not understand what Martin had told them.  The wheel was broken by making the person who would live for thousands of years the new King.

In fact I am pretty sure the writers missed it because they wrote dialogue about Bran not having children who would inherit the throne.