And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 22, 2019, 01:58:06 AM
Random thoughts:
Jamie dies, Arya "takes" his face and kills Cersei crossing her off the list and also fulfilling the prediction.
There's the Bronn wildcard though...

"Jamie" as in Arya, is killed by Bronn, leaving Tyrion to kill his sister, as by the prophecy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

I found the revelation that Jon is Aegon Targaryen underwhelming in both episodes. Neither the revelation to Jon, nor to Dany was really epic for what is one of core story arcs and mysteries since the show started.

viper37

Quote from: Zanza on April 23, 2019, 03:38:13 AM
I found the revelation that Jon is Aegon Targaryen underwhelming in both episodes. Neither the revelation to Jon, nor to Dany was really epic for what is one of core story arcs and mysteries since the show started.
Possibly because at this point, everyone except Daenerys thinks of surviving the battle ahead, they don't really have plans for beyond that.  Let them win the battle, or just survive it, and later that reality will sink in everyone.  Maybe the Mother of Dragons will think of backstabbing her newfound nephew.  I can't see her renouncing her claim, nor can I see Jon Snow pushing it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

miozozny

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2019, 08:46:00 PM
Have I left out anyone?

The Mormonts, Grey Worm, Missandei, Jaime?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2019, 01:20:45 PM
Who's the fresh meat?

Registration date of 2011.  I think it's just one of our long-term lurkers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I think the battle at Winterfell will happen over two or three episodes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on April 23, 2019, 03:03:20 PM
I think the battle at Winterfell will happen over two or three episodes.
I'm going with 1 1/2.  Bran will fall to the Night King/merge with him as the cliffhanger this Sunday and then we'll have a lot of death before Bran manages to exert control just long enough to get the Night King killed in the next episode.  Maybe have a dead dragon and a dead Jon or Dany thrown in there for good measure.  There are only what, 4 episodes left?  One has to be a resolution type episode presumably, leaving 3 episodes to cover the Battle of Winterfell and King's Landing.  Keep in mind, the episodes are all longer from here on in though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Major suikoden vibes in that last episode. Which was cool.

Lots of problems with it. But overall nice.

I note every character appearing. Even ghost came back. But where has melissandre disappeared to? Have I forgot something?

I sadly see a pretty simple ending to this show. It has massively diverged from the books. Where with the books I think we will get a peaceful ending the show is very much about the heroic showdown the books are trying to subvert
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Didn't the showrunners say their ending and Martin's are the same?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on April 23, 2019, 05:48:10 PM

So the show isn't going to have an ending?

Edgy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2019, 05:14:38 PM
I note every character appearing. Even ghost came back. But where has melissandre disappeared to? Have I forgot something?
She was exiled last season, never to set foot on Westeros again, under penalty of death.

I sadly see a pretty simple ending to this show. It has massively diverged from the books. Where with the books I think we will get a peaceful ending the show is very much about the heroic showdown the books are trying to subvert
I don't think of the books as some kind of peaceful art... Martin has killed and resurected and killed more characters than the tv show could afford to.  Since the beginning, nothing is really peaceful in this story, I doubt G.R.R. will have Jon Snow and the others sit with the Others, and talk their differences over tea...  :sleep:

@MinskyGood one! :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on April 23, 2019, 05:48:10 PM

The problem is Martin and the show had a falling out some time ago.  They were completely on their own last season.  Martin gave them a general idea of where his books were going and how he was thinking of resolving the series - but the show has diverged from the books quite a bit and so I would not be surprised that the Martin ending (assuming we ever see it) is different.

Habbaku

I'm still holding out for moon-meteor cataclysm (a theory from the books that has only mild support in the show).
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!