News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Eh, I found a video of it.  It looks like bron riding the same horse that lost it's leg a few minutes earlier.  I recognized the horse.  His name is Wessel.  Horse Wessel.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on August 07, 2017, 09:02:56 AM
Eh, I found a video of it.  It looks like bron riding the same horse that lost it's leg a few minutes earlier.  I recognized the horse.  His name is Wessel.  Horse Wessel.

It was a new horse. Brons three legged horse was brown, crispy horse was white.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2017, 07:45:14 AM
:lol:  Contrarian man is obviously contrary.
I learnt from a master ;)

No, it's just that I hate these kind of shows where they take you by the hand to show you everything and spell it out loudly.  I like to figure out things by myself.

Dani didn't get the gold.
Yeah, my bad, I thought the gold was still there the convoy.  I find it strange that Bronn and Jaimie both stayed with the harvest convoy and let the gold out of their sight, I thought the gold was sent ahead and Bronn stayed a little behind with the stragglers.  Clearly, I misread the situation.

She also didn't get the food she needed.
There's still a lot of food in Westeros to be had, and the Dothrakis are presumably good on foraging on the field.

However, I am going to be interested to see how Tycho Nestorius responds to the evidence that Dani's dragons are simply unstoppable.  Cersei's side looks a lot less promising now that she has lost a big chunk of her army and has essentially lost control over any non-fortified territory.
Yes, only 3 episodes left, things are moving so fast :)

There is no Dornish Queen.
I forgot her name, but let's call her "Former and now emprisonned Dornish de facto leader after current ruler and his heir were killed in a coup organized by her following the assassination of Cersei's daughter".
So, clearer, now? :)

QuoteJamie and Bron will certainly survive and will meet Jon Snow.  I wonder how convincing Jon will be.
Might be enough to convince Jamie, doubtful he would convince Cersei, and I still doubt at this time Jamie would betray his sister. Something else should happen.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 07, 2017, 09:25:55 AM

Three-legged horse was a Dothraki horse, no?  I thought it was white.

Lotsa white horses there, so no biggie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2017, 07:55:37 AM
Here's a line I found interesting, and maybe fan service:  when asked who taught her to fight like that, Arya says "no one."  Syrio Forel was the one who taught her.  There has long been a fan theory that Syrio Forel was, in fact, Jaqen H'ghar.  Jaqen, of course, was a Faceless Man, and their description of themselves is, as we know, "no one."  Was she saying that she now knew that Syrio was a Faceless Man?
Yes, I thought of this too.  Jaqen and Syrio might be two different indivudals, but I think she figured out that there's more than meet the eyes to Syrio.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2017, 09:39:40 AM
no, a Dothraki leaned on the side to avoid Bronn's sword and cut his horse's legs.  that was the same horse he had at the begginning when Jamie ordered him to the Ballista.

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2017, 09:39:40 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 07, 2017, 09:25:55 AM

Lotsa white horses there, so no biggie.

The dothraki horse was white, but it was brons horse that got clipped after he missed with his dagger throw. Like you say though, there are plenty of horses.

At first I thought it was dickon who saved Jaime (again) to continue to show how he's noble and not like his father so that when dani makes him crispy she looks even worse, but on a rewatch it was bron.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on August 07, 2017, 09:38:00 AM
I learnt from a master ;)

Raz probably isn't the best role model you could pick.  :lol:

QuoteNo, it's just that I hate these kind of shows where they take you by the hand to show you everything and spell it out loudly.  I like to figure out things by myself.

What did you "figure out" by Dani going from rejecting Tyrion's advice to asking Jon for advice to then turning out to do something no one had even mentioned?  You cannot actually "figure out things" in the absence of data.  The entire "ask for advice" scene ended up being pointless without its resolution.

QuoteYeah, my bad, I thought the gold was still there the convoy.  I find it strange that Bronn and Jaimie both stayed with the harvest convoy and let the gold out of their sight, I thought the gold was sent ahead and Bronn stayed a little behind with the stragglers.  Clearly, I misread the situation.

Except for the one line of dialogue, that WAS very misleading.  Why, indeed, would Jamie stay with the wheat and not the vital gold?

QuoteThere's still a lot of food in Westeros to be had, and the Dothrakis are presumably good on foraging on the field.
Sansa, Jamie, and Dani were all worried about food supplies, so I imagine food is a concern to them.  The Reach is the most fertile place in Westeros, and its food surplus just got crisped.  The Riverlands are devasted from the war, Dorne doesn't grow excess crops, the North isn't very fertile and is now covered in snow, the West Lands and the Vale are mostly mountain, the Stormlands heavily forested.  Where is all this food to come from, given that Winter may last a decade?

However, I am going to be interested to see how Tycho Nestorius responds to the evidence that Dani's dragons are simply unstoppable.  Cersei's side looks a lot less promising now that she has lost a big chunk of her army and has essentially lost control over any non-fortified territory.
Yes, only 3 episodes left, things are moving so fast :)

QuoteI forgot her name, but let's call her "Former and now emprisonned Dornish de facto leader after current ruler and his heir were killed in a coup organized by her following the assassination of Cersei's daughter".
So, clearer, now? :)

Not much.  Dani would do far better to deal with whoever is in charge of Dorne now than to trade valuable hostages for someone with no official power whatsoever.  If the Dornish are so pissed at the Lannisters that they allowed a nobody to commit multiple counts of regicide without demur, they will follow whoever replaces Ellaria and will still want to ally with Dani.  Ellaria was no great help to Dani and carried a lot of baggage she's well rid of (I mean, the successors to House Martell will hardly be happy with her for slaughtering their relatives, will they?).

QuoteMight be enough to convince Jamie, doubtful he would convince Cersei, and I still doubt at this time Jamie would betray his sister. Something else should happen.

I am pretty sure that the foray beyond the Wall that we see Jon and the Brotherhood undertake in the season preview will be done to get evidence to convince Cersei and the other opponents of Dani that the threat is real, by capturing a wight.  I suspect that Jamie will be the one who suggests this.  I think Dani will declare that she believes Jon without the evidence, but that Jamie will point out that they need even those who oppose Dani to believe.  I think this will be in episode 6.

In episode 7, I think that Jon will bring his captive back to King's Landing, bur Cersei will use the opportunity to try to kill him, and this will, at long last, bring us Cleganebowl.  Maybe Cersei dies at this point, killed by either Jamie or else (though less likely) by Arya in the guise of Jamie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

I'm no expert in the geometry of dragon breath (check the DMG??) but it seemed like where Jaime was positioned there was no earthly way to remove him from safety from fire so hot and intense that it burns targets nearly instantaneously to dust.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 07, 2017, 10:27:11 AM
I'm no expert in the geometry of dragon breath (check the DMG??) but it seemed like where Jaime was positioned there was no earthly way to remove him from safety from fire so hot and intense that it burns targets nearly instantaneously to dust.

Same with Bron (how far can one leap carry him when the ballista get crisped?), but those are examples of things you have to accept for the sake of drama.

I don't understand why Arya was allowed to practice with Brienne with actual edged steel.  That seems a good way to both wear out real weapons and accidentally injure a person, with no benefit whatsoever.

Bayraktar!

Kleves

Dany suffered two apparently catastrophic defeats at sea. Where did she get the ships for the Dothraki and their horses?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Grallon

I wonder why she didn't take all 3 dragons with her...  And those ballistas - I was reminded of the wind lances in The Battle of the Five Armies - I'm guessing the walls of King's Landing have more than a few mounted on them.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2017, 10:15:00 AM
What did you "figure out" by Dani going from rejecting Tyrion's advice to asking Jon for advice to then turning out to do something no one had even mentioned?  You cannot actually "figure out things" in the absence of data.  The entire "ask for advice" scene ended up being pointless without its resolution.
You can easily fill the blanks.  Jon recommends against attacking and burning a city filled with civilians, trapped in the nobles' fights.  Ergo, she is not going to attack a city.

The fleet that transported Grey Worm to Casterly rock lies at the bottom of the sea.  He has to cross on foot all of the continent to reach Dani and Missandei, with a Lannister army in nominal control of the area, at best, with people who look at the unsullied as filthy foreigners and really won't go out of their way to help them.

Dani promises Missandei that Grey Worm will be back.  It follows she has a plan:
1) attack Kings Landing, burn everything including the Queen
2) Abandon Dragonstone, march with Jon to the North, link up with his armies, march south to free Grey Worm, defend against the White Walkers together, worry about Cersei later.
3) attack the troops that just defeated the Tyrell.

#1, is what she wants to do at first, and his dismissive of Tyrion, starting to suspect him because he's a Lannister (by name, at least)
#2 would go contrary to all her instincts and would represent a severe blow to her as she leaves an ennemy army sorta of intact in the field, ready to strike at the North while they're either still in the South or busy fighting White Walkers.  Besides, Dragonstone is her birth place, even if she does not remember it, it holds sentimental value to her and it would be a huge blow to moral.
#3 is quite logical and the show leads you toward this: the column is slow, Jamie sends Bronn to motivate the harvesters, there's a slow gold convoy just leaving the Tyrell's home and the army is exhausted after a fight with the Tyrells and they likely sustained moderate casualties and still have a lot of wounded among their ranks.  You don't want to give the injured time to heal and rejoin their companies, you want them to be demoralized, at the very least.

There's enough shown on screen to realize the convoy will be attacked by Dani and her dragons.  Plus, Tyrion says they have enough ships to move the Dothrakis to Kings Landing.  That means they can move the Dothrakis and the dragons.

Although they could still have been misleading us all along, it would be very strange for all these elements to amount to nothing and having Jamie and Bronn report safely to King's Landing, gold&harvest intact while Dani was still brooding in Dragonstone.

Inaction is not really in her nature, we have seen her very patient, playing the long game, but she has a temper, and she did grow some nerves since S01E01.

Except for the one line of dialogue, that WAS very misleading.  Why, indeed, would Jamie stay with the wheat and not the vital gold?
Yeah, I'll have to rewatch it.  I do not remember that line, so if they only said "the gold is in the castle", maybe they meant Bitterbridge castle where they intended to stay the night resting and waiting for the rest of the convoy.

Sansa, Jamie, and Dani were all worried about food supplies, so I imagine food is a concern to them.  The Reach is the most fertile place in Westeros, and its food surplus just got crisped.  The Riverlands are devasted from the war, Dorne doesn't grow excess crops, the North isn't very fertile and is now covered in snow, the West Lands and the Vale are mostly mountain, the Stormlands heavily forested.  Where is all this food to come from, given that Winter may last a decade?
Sansa is concerned about the long winter, a winter that can last 10 years.  Jamie is concerned about supplies because he needs to move his army around, Dorne may be knocked out but not defeated and he wants to invade the North at some point, where forage will be low.
Dani is sitting on a rock island with no agricultural fields.

Not much.  Dani would do far better to deal with whoever is in charge of Dorne now than to trade valuable hostages for someone with no official power whatsoever.  If the Dornish are so pissed at the Lannisters that they allowed a nobody to commit multiple counts of regicide without demur, they will follow whoever replaces Ellaria and will still want to ally with Dani.  Ellaria was no great help to Dani and carried a lot of baggage she's well rid of (I mean, the successors to House Martell will hardly be happy with her for slaughtering their relatives, will they?).
The successors to House Martell could be very happy to have gained power now du to Ellaria's interference.

But they could also be tempted to declare neutrality, let everyone duke it out and then attack the Lannisters if they ain't defeated.

I am pretty sure that the foray beyond the Wall that we see Jon and the Brotherhood undertake in the season preview will be done to get evidence to convince Cersei and the other opponents of Dani that the threat is real, by capturing a wight.  I suspect that Jamie will be the one who suggests this.  I think Dani will declare that she believes Jon without the evidence, but that Jamie will point out that they need even those who oppose Dani to believe.  I think this will be in episode 6.
I have not seen the preview, but I find this a viable theory given what we know.

In episode 7, I think that Jon will bring his captive back to King's Landing, bur Cersei will use the opportunity to try to kill him, and this will, at long last, bring us Cleganebowl.  Maybe Cersei dies at this point, killed by either Jamie or else (though less likely) by Arya in the guise of Jamie.
one or the other.  Or Arya kills Cersei before that and takes her place long enough to sceal an alliance and then disapear leaving the body to be found after they are all gone.

Anything is poissible in a magical land with dragons and faceless assassins :P