News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sanderson's taken that title for my. Mistborn was great, and The Way of Kings was just fantastic.

By the way Slargos, new Mistborn book is coming out, it'll be short, but I hear it has two new metals in it.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2011, 01:12:41 AM
I think Lannisters, in general, are perfectly cast (at least the adults). Peter Dinklage will steal every scene he is in, the way Tyrion did in the books, and the twins are very well chosen too.

I think the only characters I have seen so far that made me go somewhat WTF, cast-wise, are the Tully sisters, especially Lysa - it was a while ago when I read the books, but wasn't she supposed to be a chubbo?

Catlyn seems quite miscast to me- not hot. But Lysa seems quite good, chubbyness isn't integral to the character (though yeah, I think I remember that too) but the woman playing her does have the whole shrill crazyness thing about her.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2011, 04:34:02 AM
I think Lannisters, in general, are perfectly cast (at least the adults). Peter Dinklage will steal every scene he is in, the way Tyrion did in the books, and the twins are very well chosen too.

I think the only characters I have seen so far that made me go somewhat WTF, cast-wise, are the Tully sisters, especially Lysa - it was a while ago when I read the books, but wasn't she supposed to be a chubbo?

Catlyn seems quite miscast to me- not hot. But Lysa seems quite good, chubbyness isn't integral to the character (though yeah, I think I remember that too) but the woman playing her does have the whole shrill crazyness thing about her.

Which one's Lena Hadley?  She has perfect nipples.

Slargos

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2011, 01:43:05 AM
Sanderson's taken that title for my. Mistborn was great, and The Way of Kings was just fantastic.

By the way Slargos, new Mistborn book is coming out, it'll be short, but I hear it has two new metals in it.

Nice.  :licklips:

Sanderson is good, but he's not THAT good. What makes him interesting is in my opinion first and foremost his ability to create unique takes on magic and its exploitation. A lot of authors don't really fully exploit the capabilities inherent in their systems, but Sanderson is able to look at his creation with the eyes of a user rather than just a developer. I just wish he'd focus on the much more interesting Stormlight than Mistborn.

Erikson has taken the development of worlds and characters to a whole new level, and even if his books all more or less follow the same formula the storylines are simply breath taking in scope and complexity. Layered story-telling at its finest.

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 05:15:20 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2011, 04:34:02 AM

Which one's Lena Hadley?  She has perfect nipples.

She plays a slut, so there should be ample opportunity for displaying them. :perv:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Faeelin on April 04, 2011, 11:35:06 AM
I agree with Raz completely.

Even the War of the Roses plot isn't going anywhere. Every time a challenger is defeated, another rises up.

Sounds like War of the Roses to me.

e.g.  WhoTF is this obscure Welshman and why does he think it's his turn to be King?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2011, 07:09:13 PM
Who the fuck is Erickson?

Used to be in the cell phone business, IIRC
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2011, 12:29:23 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 14, 2011, 12:19:46 PM

Used to be in the cell phone business, IIRC

teh fail joan, it's "Ericsson"

Double-fail, for reasons better left unmentioned. :console:

Berkut

Quote from: Slargos on April 14, 2011, 12:29:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Erikson

Better prose. Better characters. Better story. Better setting.

Meh. Problem is the entire story is BORING as all hell. Never got through the first book.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maximus

I actually have no problem with Martin's prose, so let's call that one subjective.

Characters. They both have some great ones, some really annoying ones. I find it harder to keep track of Erickson's characters, but he has a lot more and they don't all appear in all the books so it's understandable.

Better story? They both get bogged down after a few books. Erickson's books all start out slow. If you force yourself through the first half they get better, except the last one I read. Martin doesn't have this problem for me, but he bogs down a lot quicker.

Setting for me is the essence of a fantasy book. All the rest- characters, plot, etc- are just vehicles to explore the setting in. Erickson's world is much larger, both in space and time. Martin's more enjoyable, for me.

In all it's pretty close. I'd give Erickson the edge for potential volume and Martin for enjoyability. Obviously that's subjective.

Slargos

Quote from: Maximus on April 14, 2011, 12:49:18 PM

I actually have no problem with Martin's prose, so let's call that one subjective.

Characters. They both have some great ones, some really annoying ones. I find it harder to keep track of Erickson's characters, but he has a lot more and they don't all appear in all the books so it's understandable.

Better story? They both get bogged down after a few books. Erickson's books all start out slow. If you force yourself through the first half they get better, except the last one I read. Martin doesn't have this problem for me, but he bogs down a lot quicker.

Setting for me is the essence of a fantasy book. All the rest- characters, plot, etc- are just vehicles to explore the setting in. Erickson's world is much larger, both in space and time. Martin's more enjoyable, for me.

In all it's pretty close. I'd give Erickson the edge for potential volume and Martin for enjoyability. Obviously that's subjective.

When Erikson named one of his characters "Ublala Pung", it immediately sold it for me. He is the man. :wub:

Maximus

I think you mean "manservant".

I think that was actually the most interesting book.